THE "FREAK" needs some help?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2000, 08:07 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Question THE "FREAK" needs some help?

HI!... Before you guys start, I need some help with a temperature sender, NOT "mental" help!LOL! O.K, here's my problem, I bought a AUTOMETER 2-5/8 engine temperature PHANTOM guage. It's a mechanical guage with a 1-1/2 long sending probe. I need to know where I can install this probe to get a accurate engine coolant temperature? I can seem to find anywhere to install it. I've heard of people on this site installing "ELECTRIC" temp senders in a block drain plug on the drivers side just below the block heater frost plug. This threaded hole is way too small for my sender to fit! Has anyone else installed a "MECHANICAL" sending probe like this? If so where did you install it at on your engine?

Thanks in advance- "THE FREAK"

------------------
NEAL [ the horsepower freak ] NEWMAN
'99' F-150 XLT SPORT, oxford white, reg cab shortbox stepside,5.4, auto, 4.10L.S, captain's chairs, bedliner, GTS carbon fiber headlight covers, ***** CEPECK clear halogen driving lights, GTS slotted tailight covers (painted oxford white), fiberglass smooth wiper cowl (painted OXFORD WHITE), FORD locking lug nuts, tinted windows,true duel exhaust with 2.5 inch mandrel bent pipes and FLOWMASTER 3 chamber mufflers with 3' tailpipes exiting before the rear wheel like the LIGHTNING, HELLWIG rear stabalizer bar, 3 AUTOMETER guage pods, filled with tranny temp, engine temp, and oil preasure AUTOMETER "PHANTOM" guages,custom fabricated air intake trac and huge K/N filter, TPS mod, BELLTECH 2-inch rear drop, custom programed SUPERCHIP, modified POWERAID spacer, BAUMANN ENGINEERING shift kit (on stage 5 setting)BYPASS CLUTCH CONTROL VALVE/PREASURE REGULATOR VALVE, ASP POWER PULLEYS, custom tig welded and ported JBA "JET BLACK coated headers, twin DERALE 16 INCH ELECTRIC FANS, PERMA COOL 14"/10" tranny cooler with 10" electric fan. FUTURE MODS : FORD SVT 24LB INJECTORS, BBK 75MM THROTTLE BODY, AADI F1 RAM AIR HOOD, traction bars, and a KENNE BELL BLOWZILLA supercharger.
ESTIMATED H.P TO DATE : 345H.P / 425ft/lbs of torque.

OTHER TOYS : "83" PRO STREET FORD RANGER : 351-w stroked to 408c.i 625H.P (natural), 875H.P with 250H.P "BIG SHOT" N.O.S kit, tubbed (crome moly tubing), 12 point chrome moly roll cage, 4-link with coil overs, MUSTANG II front suspension, c-4 tranny (race prepped), 4000rpm stall converter(8 INCH), 3" chrome moly driveshaft,AUTOMETER guages, 15.50 MICKEY THOMPSON rear tires, 4" M/T front tires, CENTERLINE CON-VO PRO rims, fiberglass hood - bumper - prostock hood scoop, wishbone trac-link, two chrome moly driveshaft loops, 16 gallon RCI fuel cell,etc

Old 08-15-2000, 08:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't have the 150 with me today. I used the same sensor in my Tbird, but as I recall, I had to take the thermostat housing off (I think I remember it being a steel housing with about a 9" neck) and have the probe housing nut welded on.

Old 08-15-2000, 11:08 PM
So let me get this right. Your probe is too big for the hole that you heard others have put theirs in?

Old 08-16-2000, 12:28 AM
I was going to post but I can't think of anything to say that would be helpful. I'll try again after I recover from the previous reply. Geez

Old 08-16-2000, 09:56 AM
Neal,

I don't have the truck to look at. I'm going from memory on what I had to do with the Tbird. As I recall, the 150 thermostat housing is just that, with a rubber water hose from the housing to the radiator, and no steel to drill.

I don't know what other readers did. I've never seen a thread on this topic.

Old 08-17-2000, 10:36 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Cool

HI!... Well guys I figured out where to install my mechanical engine temp senser. I looked over my entire engine and could'nt find a suitable place to install the temp senser. So I went out and bought a "T" fitting with three 3/8 NPT female ends. I then got two brass 3/8 BARB ends. I then went down to a local speed shop and bought a AUTO METER 3/8 senser extention. I installed the senser in the extension and screwed it into the "T". Then spliced the "T" set-up into the out going (from back of intake) heater hose. Don't install it on the out coming heater hose because if you have your heater fan on it will cool the heater core and throw off your engine temp reading. Hope this helps you guys who are trying to figure out a way to mount a mechanical engine temp gauge.

------------------
NEAL [ the horsepower freak ] NEWMAN
'99' F-150 XLT SPORT, oxford white, reg cab shortbox stepside,5.4, auto, 4.10L.S, captain's chairs, bedliner, GTS carbon fiber headlight covers, ***** CEPECK clear halogen driving lights, GTS slotted tailight covers (painted oxford white), fiberglass smooth wiper cowl (painted OXFORD WHITE), FORD locking lug nuts, tinted windows,true duel exhaust with 2.5 inch mandrel bent pipes and FLOWMASTER 3 chamber mufflers with 3' tailpipes exiting before the rear wheel like the LIGHTNING, HELLWIG rear stabalizer bar, 3 AUTOMETER guage pods, filled with tranny temp, engine temp, and oil preasure AUTOMETER "PHANTOM" guages,custom fabricated air intake trac and huge K/N filter, TPS mod, BELLTECH 2-inch rear drop, custom programed SUPERCHIP, modified POWERAID spacer, BAUMANN ENGINEERING shift kit (on stage 5 setting)BYPASS CLUTCH CONTROL VALVE/PREASURE REGULATOR VALVE, ASP POWER PULLEYS, custom tig welded and ported JBA "JET BLACK coated headers, twin DERALE 16 INCH ELECTRIC FANS, PERMA COOL 14"/10" tranny cooler with 10" electric fan. FUTURE MODS : FORD SVT 24LB INJECTORS, BBK 75MM THROTTLE BODY, AADI F1 RAM AIR HOOD, traction bars, and a KENNE BELL BLOWZILLA supercharger.
ESTIMATED H.P TO DATE : 345H.P / 425ft/lbs of torque.

OTHER TOYS : "83" PRO STREET FORD RANGER : 351-w stroked to 408c.i 625H.P (natural), 875H.P with 250H.P "BIG SHOT" N.O.S kit, tubbed (crome moly tubing), 12 point chrome moly roll cage, 4-link with coil overs, MUSTANG II front suspension, c-4 tranny (race prepped), 4000rpm stall converter(8 INCH), 3" chrome moly driveshaft,AUTOMETER guages, 15.50 MICKEY THOMPSON rear tires, 4" M/T front tires, CENTERLINE CON-VO PRO rims, fiberglass hood - bumper - prostock hood scoop, wishbone trac-link, two chrome moly driveshaft loops, 16 gallon RCI fuel cell,etc

Quick Reply: THE "FREAK" needs some help?