A REALLY silly question!

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2002, 11:36 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A REALLY silly question!

Okay - I was curious - does the OBDII computer only work on Ford's? I have friends with other brand trucks (boo!) & they were asking that too. I would assume the system is brand specific but I've been known to be wrong once or twice in my life!
Thanks for you PATIENCE & help!

Old 01-16-2002, 02:46 PM
Hi Cowlady

Im trying to remember...

As i recall...the OBDII is a second generatioin diagnostic system. The original OBD was mandated sometime ago to help speed diagnostics/troubleshooting....emission sensors feed into earlier model computers being of primary concern...

Since then...the OBDII and computer have been updated to handle alot more than just problems with the emission system.
The computer being the "PCM" powertrain control module.

I believe all late model cars/light trucks have the OBDII. just maybe a variation in how you hook up to the data-link port...(under dash on our trucks) I dont recall when the OBDII became mandatory.

Ck. engine light comes on...chances are a trouble code has been thrown...so you hook up scan tool to data-link...see what code is go from there...takes a certain amount of guess work out of what might be wrong. Suppose to speed up finding/fixing problem etc.which i think it does..but sometimes easier said than done

Maybe someone here could correct this or add to...but thats the general idea as i recall.

Good luck...OT

BTW...still waiting for sound on that cow pic...

Old 01-16-2002, 11:23 PM
No they are not suppose to be brand specific, one tool should work on most vehicles. The federal govt mandated that all vehicles by 1/1/96 had to follow some basic standards. I personally have a tester and have used it on my truck a 97 and a 97 and a 98 Cavialer with no problems. OBDii is really nice as the codes are much more accurate and most all scan tools have a readout of what code has been set in the PCM.
Most of the scan tools people use on OBD generation 1 just had a flashing light and a beep. So you had to count the # of flahes and beeps in a certain order to obtain your code. Sound like a nightmare... let me tell you... it was.
OBD is pretty easy to use, all you have to do is plg it in, turn your key to run and hit start on the tester. As far as connections they have become pretty standard on just one connector. The only difference I have found that is brand specific is what protocol is used but that is something you need not worry about.

To learn more check this site out:
www.obdii.com

Old 01-17-2002, 12:17 PM
Great!

Thanks for all your help - I felt silly asking but now I'm glad I did! I guess I may think about getting 1 & then I'll be the "darling" of all the guys with trucks! LOL!@ Plus, I'll save myself a lot since I won't have to run to Ford for codes!

Old 01-17-2002, 05:32 PM
Hi KY

Dont know what happened? Clicked on that link you made..got stuck there for 2 hrs.... Geez!!!!!

Tks....OT

Old 01-17-2002, 05:40 PM
The OBD-2 on the Fords is really cool. I am just getting into playing with my new scanner, but it seems like the Fords have more info than any other car I have played with. Maybe this is just my particular model.

Most cars I get Speed, water temp, Air Intake Temp, RPM, some misc engine stats, engine codes, etc.

On My F-150 I get about 200 different parameters. You can tell everything from what gear you are in to if the AC Compressor is on. (Seems like a ton of sensors to go bad one day!)

Unfortunately I lack most of the skills to fix and understand most of the new computer controlled cars. I used to be able to do Tune-ups and all that, but no more

BUT - The scan tool is really cool to have at least some idea of what is going on before you take it somewhere.

Old 01-17-2002, 06:32 PM
Yeah I have lost myself on that web page more than once also. I have read through it twice and still learn something new each time I go.

whatdayathink
What scanner do you have and how much did you pay? Sounds like you got a really good scanner if you can watch all the sensors open and close. Let me know more about it...

Trending Topics

Old 01-17-2002, 08:41 PM
Re: A REALLY silly question!

Originally posted by Cowlady
. . . does the OBDII computer only work on Ford's? !
Cowlady,

Check the classifieds, I've been trying to put together a group purchase . . .

Bob

Quick Reply: A REALLY silly question!