Sudden milage shift (lost 40 miles a tank)

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2002, 12:03 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Sudden milage shift (lost 40 miles a tank)

Hi guys

Need some advice or help.

I have noticed an abrupt ad sharp drop in fuel milage about 2-3 weeks ago. I have been using the same gas stations and brands as preivious (Citgo-Amaco)

This has occoured on both normal preimum and Reformulated Priemium fuel. I have suddenly lost about 30-40 miles to the tank. I was getting about 290 on rfII and about 320 on normal preimum now getting about 250 on
RFII and 280 on Good gas...

The truck has about 80k miles.
I replaced Plugs, Wires, edis coils etc.
in Mid-November and all was great till about mid-December. Then the mileage went south. Everything else feels and seems the same. No idiot lights, or abnormal noise or indications Preformance normal, driving same roads and routes, speed etc... Tire pressure normal, same oil Mobile oil 5w30 and K&N filter every 3 k,

My tag will give the component mods.

Any ideas I am out of them. the only thing I can think of is it has gotten cold.
Could the fuel went to a winter blend?
but I never noticed the drop before...

Could this be normal with the Superchip/airforce one FIPK.. as it is my first winter with them on.

Ideas? Mike T if you out there any ideas, I am at a loss to why the milage went south...

Jim

Old 01-09-2002, 07:45 AM
Certified Goat Breeder
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
I run the same route all year and get 18.5 summer and 17.4 winter.

Last week we got 9 inches of snow(which is like never), much lower temperatures. I filled up this morning after a week of this stuff and got 15.2 mpg.

So, I lost more than 40 miles per tank.

That is the worst I've ever got except when towing in summer (14.0).

Old 01-09-2002, 08:31 AM
Have you continiously bragged about your 'good' gas mileage? Do people roll their eyes when you start to tell them about your truck? If so, I would suspect your co-workers and/or neighbors particularly if you don't have a locking gas cap. They are siphoning out 'small' amounts of gas when you are out of sight. At some point in the future, after you have tried several gas mileage improving products, they will then start adding increasing amounts of gas to your tank. A locking gas cap will probably be helpful.

raoul and I have formed a partnership that is offering lightweight, indestructible, titanium digital-lock gas caps to put a stop to this heinous criminal activity. Email your social security number to raoul and he will send pricing info back to you as we wll not talk pricing here. Btw, if you had a Lightning, raoul would give you a High Performance discount--see the appropriate posts on the Lightning board.

Do not send anything to me. I am just in charge of advertising.

Dan

Old 01-09-2002, 12:29 PM
If I remember right, it was about three weeks ago it finally got cold around here too. Not that you could tell today with highs in the 40's, but... In any case, I've always noted a pretty sharp decrease in fuel mileage right after cold weather sets in for a couple of tanks. It then begins to rise. Good fuel mileage returns usually when the temps are getting up over the freezing mark regularly. Last winter my fuel mileage was down in the 13 mpg range for several tanks when the weather was below zero for a while. I've always chalked it up to the cold weahter. Other vehicles I have owned have exhibited similar behavior, but not quite as drastic of a drop.

Quick Reply: Sudden milage shift (lost 40 miles a tank)