Where is my cylanoid?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2002, 12:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Where is my cylanoid?

97 F-150 4.2 v-6
Is the cylanoid starter-mount? Or on the side or firewall somewhere?

I have good power, head lights are strong and engine turned over fine right before it wouldn't start. When I turn the key to start I get a loud click(which I suspect the cylinoid to be turning power to the starter) but then nothing. No turn over or anything.

It sounds to me like my starter. Would you guys agree? Or is there a fuse or relay I should try replacing first(it's under warrenty but I have a $100 deductible, so if it might be a $5 breaker I will try that 1st)

Thanks in advance

JW

Old 01-02-2002, 12:17 PM
If you hear a click or maybe a clack, that means the silanoid(dont think I spelled it right either) is getting power. Sounds like its not enough to turn over the engine. First try to clean your battery posts. I dont know about the layout on the 4.2 engines so I wont say where it is. Folow the large red wire from your battery and you should find it.

Old 01-02-2002, 12:29 PM
Certified Goat Breeder
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Talking

Ok fellas, the cylanoid and the silanoid will be found on either side of the solenoid.

Old 01-02-2002, 12:45 PM
Mine did the same thing the terminal end on the solenoid was broken and not connecting too good!
JJ

Old 01-02-2002, 04:50 PM
As Jimmy has implied, check all your connections and your battery. A clicking solenoid without the starter spinning is usually a sign of either loose connection or bad battery.

Old 01-02-2002, 05:20 PM
Howdy ALL,

US YaNKeeS Call it So-Annoyed!...............

If all battery connections are tight and have been cleaned. I would check your battery voltage. You can turn on the headlamps and then try to crank it. If the lights dim, either your battery can't handle the load anymore or your starter is pulling too many amps. Try to charge or jumpstart it, if that works I would say that you need a new battery. Generally 3 years on a battery is suspect. Ya they can last longer, I consider them maintenance item and replace them at 3 years.

Good Luck

Old 01-02-2002, 05:20 PM
Originally posted by Dennis
As Jimmy has implied, check all your connections and your battery. A clicking solenoid without the starter spinning is usually a sign of either loose connection or bad battery.

Double check the ground to the motor had a problem here before & my friend had the same thing, 1st time it happened to me
I went nuts chasing & checking everything pulled the starter to bench test it etc. save the stress & headache make double sure all connections are clean & shineing

Trending Topics

Old 01-03-2002, 12:36 AM
First try jumping it. If that starts it, its probably a bad battery or wiring connections. Take the battery in and have it tested out. Most likely the culprit. If that OK, check out the connections. If that doesn't show anything, then its the starter. Probably just a rehash of what others have said, but...

Old 01-03-2002, 01:17 PM
I had the exact same problem with my 1987 F150. It turned out to be the starter relay, aka solenoid, which on my truck was mounted on the fenderwall near the battery. The truck would take several turns of the key, each time hearing only one loud click, before it would finally catch and turn over.

Old 01-03-2002, 02:48 PM
Certified Goat Breeder
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Talking

Oh sure, I post then everybody and his brother knows how to spell soleniod!

Old 01-03-2002, 04:19 PM
Raoul-
You should change your name agian to something like Spelling God then huh?

Another way to check the solenoid, is to take a screwdriver and put it to each post and have someone hit the key in the ignition, it that works, then it is more than likely the solenoid. I have done that on a 79 F250, and a 96 F250 to test them when they wouldn't start. Turns out that is what it always was....Just another thing to try out.

Old 01-03-2002, 07:12 PM
It's the starter. If the solenoid is clicking that means it is working. I think everyone else here is overthinking the problem. Infact i would bet my truck that the starter is the problem.

-Jon

Quick Reply: Where is my cylanoid?