Are Block Heaters Really Effective?!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2001, 02:24 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Are Block Heaters Really Effective?!!

When it's 10 below zero ... it's nice to get in a truck that warms up quickly. I imagine most of you Ford guys in Alaska, Canada, Minnesota and other cold areas, use the best block heater you can buy. My questions are;

1. Are block heaters really effective?

2. Is there one type, or brand, you would recommend over the others?

3. What's the price, website address and part number?

4. Is the block heater usually installed directly into the block or into a heater hose?

Thank you in advance,

BillVoyles
RedLowRyder

Old 12-21-2001, 03:37 AM
There was some discussion about installing one and what's involved a few weeks ago with a few of the other Minnesotan's on the board here.

https://www.f150online.com/forums/sh...ighlight=block

I have one in my '97 4.2L but I've only used it a few times. I believe the lowest temp we've had so far this winter was about 10 degrees so it's not been very cold by Minnesota standards.

It's not an expensive item at $83.17 Ford list. A few years ago, I was under my truck and I saw an 3 prong, orange electrical connector plugged into my driver's side engine block and wondered what it was. I followed it back and it leads to the plug behind my front bumper. I didn't even realize I had an engine block heater before this because I didn't order one and it's not listed on my window sticker.

This is only a suspicion of mine but after looking a one I'm guessing that you can simply remove a plug on your engine block after draining the coolant and then screw in the block heater. and run the wiring to the front of your truck.

See the coolant drain srcew to the right of the plug???

Old 12-21-2001, 06:56 AM
Up north, block heaters are worth their wieght in gold. I had them in all my cars while living in Nebraska and Norther Michigan and saw temps of 40 below. Always started right up. Problem was not at home where I could plug in, it was at work or school where I couldn't. I prefer the block heater but the kind that fits in a radiator hose does work well also. It certainly is much better for your car. The other thing to consider is that your batter only has about half the reserve power at 0 degrees. Make sure it's in good shape.

Old 12-21-2001, 07:39 AM
Living in MN, I can tell you that every car/truck I get has or gets one. Your truck turns over alot faster, the oil is more fluid so it lubricates quicker. Since most of the wear is at startup, I want my oil moving the quickest possible. Combine that with the benefit of a truck that is warm down the block and I say go for it.

There are several types of heaters. A Tank heater is one that is placed in-line with the radiator or heater core hose.
There is a block heater which is most common, there is a frost plug hole cast at the factory in the block usualy this is removed and the heater inserted here.
With both of these methods heat is applied directly to the coolant and natural heat convection, makes the coolant move.
The last option I have only seen a few times is heat tape. Where a magnet or tape attaches a heat element to the oil pan.
I say that a Block Heater is money well spent if temps reg go below 20f in the winter.

Old 12-21-2001, 09:03 AM
Up in our neck, you can't buy a vehicle without one. They can mean the difference between going or not. he tank heaters are the best I would say. Those puppys draw about 1500 watts and even keep the snow melted of your hood. Just get in and step into warmth.

Old 12-21-2001, 05:27 PM
Decision! Decisions! Decsions!!

OK, I like all those ideas and options. I like the block heater. The tape heater sounds the least interesting. The tank heater style is REALLY interestiong. But I'm not sure what tank you are talking about ... the overflow tank? The newer trucks don't have a radiator cap. And, then if you could mention a brand name and ball-park price. Does this Tank Heater just replace the overflow tank lid to warm the coolant? 1,500 degrees sounds like a lot of heat to put in that plastic tank. Please elaborate.

Thanks for all the help. I'm going to do it!!!

BillVoyles
RedLowRyder

Old 12-21-2001, 06:38 PM
JMC
Technical Article Contributor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Bill,

Get the block heater. It is by far the oldest and most relyable method of warming up the engine. Just plug it in a few hours before you need to start your truck and it is all done. After a snow fall you can tell who pluged in theri block heater, all the snow on the hood is melted.
The tank heater doesn't heat to 1500° it draws 1500 watts, 15 times that of a 100 watt light bulb.

Regards

Jean Marc Chartier

Trending Topics

Old 12-21-2001, 09:29 PM
Thanks Guys .....

That is valuable information to anyone living in a cold climate.
It isn't all that cold here in the state of Washington but it gets down to freezing in the winter. I feel like it is better to plug that rascal in and let the block warm up slowly before starting the engine. It couldn't hurt and Ohhhhhh...that heater feels good on a cold morning!!

The only thing I am left wondering, is there a place you would recommend buying this rascal? Ford Parts? NAPA? Sunmit Racing online? Where do you recommed?

Thanks again!!

BillVoyles
RedLowRyder

Old 12-21-2001, 09:51 PM
I agree with the others. It's an absolute must have when living in cold climates. I've had my aches and pains living in Fairbanks where it gets -50 below in the winter and that's not counting the wind chill!! Try starting a vehicle without one.

Old 12-21-2001, 11:44 PM
For those that are really serious about preheating your pickup add the oil and transmission pan heaters and the battery warmer. The average block heater is rated at 1000 watts, 75 watts for the gasoline engine oil pan or 150 watts if it's a diesel. The trans and battery from 25 to 75 watts.

Old 12-22-2001, 09:55 AM
'Had the block heater on my 84 GMC 6.2L diesel Suburban. It worked well -- defined as: Truck made heat by the time I hit the end of the street -- and it always started.

Consider this: At 8 cents a kilowatt hour, 6 hours of use for a 1500 watt unit will cost you $0.72 on your electric bill. For those of us who have garages, the need for the heater is limited to the few coldest days of the year. For anything parked outside -- the scale quickly tips to more frequent usage.

3-4 hours (on a strong timer) works quite well, and is fairly convenient.

A short extension cord securely attached to the engine compartment will pay for itself when (not if) you forget to un-plug as you sleepily leave for work some cold morning.

I used the heater less than a dozen times a year in my garage -- but managed to find a light pole with an outlet in the parking lot at work -- and used it for much of December thru February (passed the parking spot to an F-250 SD a few years ago when I went back to gassers).

Old 12-22-2001, 10:54 AM
I don't know if I would want a block heater in climates where it seldom goes below freezing. They generate a fair amount of heat and may be too hot if its not very cold. We use them because the truck wouldn't start without one, with the loss of half your battery power and oils being very thick at minus 20C or so in late January. Why don't you invest the money in a remote start? It would be useful all year. Your truck will start and prewarm or cool. Just my 2 cents.

Old 12-22-2001, 06:32 PM
Exclamation

If you use a block heater, be sure to purchase a "blue" color electrical cord. I was on a business assignment in Minnesota six years ago. The first time I plugged in my block heater, I uitilized the "orange" electrical cord that I purchased at the local Wal-Mart. Anyway, the next morning (-35) I unplugged my electrical cord and started to roll it up. "Snap" it broke in two just like a twig! Anyway, I took it back to the Wal-Mart and the old boy at the customer service counter told me, "son, you need a blue cord in this climate". I had never seen or heard of the "blue cord"! Anyway, it's designed to withstand extreme cold temperatures. Just thought I'd pass this along. Maybe it's only available in Minnesota!

Quick Reply: Are Block Heaters Really Effective?!!