Engine Tech Support... Again

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2001, 08:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine Tech Support... Again

'72 Bronco. I don't think the engine is getting any fuel to it when I try to start it. It did start for a minute, but I had to keep pushing the gas pedal to keep it from stalling. When I took my foot off the pedal, the engine died. I just replaced the fuel pump. What gives? Thanks for any help.

Old 12-21-2001, 03:20 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bear with me

I'm not familiar with the older trucks so please be patient ok? Is the truck equipped with a carb? If so disconnect the fuel line from the carb & CAREFULLY see if there's gas coming out. You should be able to tell by bumpimg the key to try starting the motor. If there is then I'd guess the fuel pump is working fine.
Are there any kinks or crimps in the fuel line? That can cause major problems too. When did you last change the fuel fliter? If it does have a carb it may need rebuilding - I've done 2 & 4 bbl's & they're not hard to do at all.
I hope these suggestions have helped some. If not, be patient & I'm betting the guys will have the right answer.
I hate to say it but I had a similar problem - my '68 LeSabre wouldn't run for more than 15 - 20 seconds & was spitting gas up thru the crab. Turned out I had a lobe on the cam flatten out! Needless to say I had some station out it in, figuring it was way behind MY driveway skills. Got the motor ready for them - removed the radiater, valvetrain assemblies, etc. & it STILL took them over 2 months to do it! I even ordered the cam myself & they charged me over $500 for this! I'm still upset & this happened back in '90!
Good luck - keep us posted ok?

Quick Reply: Engine Tech Support... Again