Unique Engine Problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2001, 01:31 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Unique Engine Problem

My engine has started acting oddly in the last couple of months. First thing that I noticed was one morning it wouldn't start. Well, actually it would turn over but it wouldn't stay idle... it would just die. I ran it a few minutes and it wore off. Then it happened again a couple of days later. The only thing I could tie to the events were that I used the cruise control on the previous drives.

Well now it happens no matter if I use CC or not, and its gotten to the point where I can drive it for 45 minutes on the hiway, take an exit ramp where I hit a stoplight... and it dies. Once it happened when I was in traffic ( I commute to downtown ATL for school ) and I've worked out this routine where I shift into nuetral (its an automatic, 4.6L ) when there's no forward progression just so I can keep the tach above 500 RPM.

When the truck was refinanced, I got an extended warrenty. So when it first happened, I brought the truck in right away ( Carolyn Ford in Fayettville). Of course, they couldn't replicate the problem, but suggested to replace the idler mechanism. I went ahead and left it alone as I didn't want to fix something that wasn't broken, plus it wasn't covered under the extended warrenty.

So here I am... the events are becoming more frequent, and I cannot ignore it anymore. Any insight as to what is going on?

Thanks in advance, and sorry for the long post.

Old 12-12-2001, 05:11 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sounds like your idle air control valve. Should cost between $60-$80. The valve will not throw a code or trip the check engine light. Search the gas section over at www.ford-diesel.com for idle air control and read others exact problem. You can change it yourself. It should be at the back of the engine. Follow a 1" hose that comes off the air snorkle. It connects to the valve.

Quick Reply: Unique Engine Problem