CEL right after i filled gas??

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2001, 09:15 PM
Location: Michigan Sex Industry, MI. [you want it, we got it]
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy CEL right after i filled gas??

Hi guys,
I am new to this truck and its issues. Lert me explain. I just bought the truck last week and the engine bay was very dirty. So i degreased the engine with some degreaser after carefully covering the distributors and the intake! The truck ran fine for the remaining part of the day. The next day i fill some gas and right after, on the freeway, the truck starts to shudder every time i gas her. Stopped and saw water pouring out the exhaust. Not normal even considering condensation. So i checked for oil pressure, levels, opened the radiator to check if it was the head gasket. But everything seems to be ok. I journey with the CEL on for abt 120 miles by which time gas goes down and the truck seems to be letting up on its shuddering. I stop at home and d/c battery, plug it back in again and CEL seems to have disaapeared alongwith the shuddering. I still get it once in a while now, not as often as before. What is happening?? I dont want to waste 100 bucks for a dealer to diagnose that its just the gas or something very simple.

I need help!

Thx for any help or suggestions!

Old 11-25-2001, 11:15 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Is your Gas cap on tight?

Old 11-25-2001, 11:18 PM
I'll bite, what's CEL?

Oh wait, Check Engine Light. Doh, I got it!

Wouldn't hurt to get it checked if it keeps happening. Double check all connections that might have gotten wet. Or water in the air box etc.

Old 11-26-2001, 01:18 AM
Originally posted by FamilyRide
I'll bite, what's CEL?

Oh wait, Check Engine Light. Doh, I got it!

Wouldn't hurt to get it checked if it keeps happening. Double check all connections that might have gotten wet. Or water in the air box etc.

Its not happening as of today since i reset the ECU. I checked all connections and air filter too. Thing i m worried about is should water be literally spraying off my exhaust??

Old 11-26-2001, 01:19 AM
Originally posted by jryager
Is your Gas cap on tight?
Yes, it is.

Old 11-26-2001, 09:35 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Is water pouring out the exhaust or spraying off the exhaust? Please explain....?

Old 11-26-2001, 09:45 AM
Water seemed to pour out for the first time i saw it happening. And then it just sprayed. Everytime i gas her, water is sprayed. But as the gas tank level went down, so did the shuddering and water. Its running fine now. Shudders once in a while. I put in some of that dry gas treatment for water in the tank and am putting in a higher octane fuel today.

Trending Topics

Old 11-26-2001, 10:14 AM
you got water down a spark plug hole and the boot is off the spark plug.

Get in there with your hands and push each spark plug boot back onto the plug.

What happens is if water gets down the hole, when it gets hot and evaporates it will push the boot up from the steam pressure.

So any shuddering or rough idle after washing engines, suspect the spark plug boots. I finally tossed the original wires for some aftermarket ones and have not had the problem since. Oh, and if you think changing the plugs is a PIA, wait until you try to change the wires! OMG!

Old 11-26-2001, 01:28 PM
Unhappy

I looked at the wires and everything seems tight and nice.

Why would it give a CEL if water were to get in?? See, thats what i'm confused about!

Matt, you scared me with the PITA remark! OMG, there i go to the dealer now to get it done! Damn!

Old 11-26-2001, 02:04 PM
FYI: The "CEL" is actually called the MIL (Malfunction Indicator Lamp).

Take care,
-Chris

Old 11-26-2001, 04:06 PM
Dangit, now I was pretty much used to calling it CEL from my car board! And I have to get used to calling it the MIL now on this BB. Thx for the correction help, man!

Pardon me if i were to slip between the 2 slangs used on the 2 different boards!

Old 11-26-2001, 04:08 PM
I still need some suggestions on what this could be.

Old 11-26-2001, 05:19 PM
If water was to get in by the plugs, it could cause a crossfire condition, which would trip the MIL, and cause it to run rough. As the water evaporated, the problem would lessen, and if since resetting the ECM, the MIL hasn't lit, then the problem should be solved. Water at the exhaust is a sign of a healthy engine, and is actually a result of a good working cat. As the truck warms up, the water should evaporate in the hot pipes. Does the water/exhaust condition continue after the engine is warmed up? Where does it all stand now?

Take care,
-Chris

Old 11-26-2001, 06:44 PM
Well, I was on a 120 mile trip when it all began. At the end of the trip. the exhaust still had unhealthy amounts of water spraying. But i rest the ECU and the shuddering stopped. Also, now i notice the normal amount of water dripping from the pipes.

Anyway, there doesnt seem to be any problems right now! I'm praying it stays that way!

Old 11-26-2001, 10:57 PM
Do they still put weep holes in the mufflers? If so, then the hole is probably plugged up and the muffler is full (figuratively speaking) of water.

Quick Reply: CEL right after i filled gas??