Leaking timeing cover gaskets on 4.2 l Please read

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2000, 10:51 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Smile Leaking timeing cover gaskets on 4.2 l Please read

Hi hope this helps someone out there, I took my 97 f150 4.2 l in to the dealer to have a antifreeze leak fixed under warranty, but it turned out to be fixed under a new recall (I think it was put out this week ) I was told this over the phone 1 hr ago. I will post what the paperwork says when i pick up the truck monday (they are also fixing a broken seat bracket) I know some people posted messages on what they had to pay to have this same problem fixed, maybe they can get some or all of there money back do to the recall I will confirm the recall when i get my paperwork! next step is to try to get them to change the exhaust to exit behind the rear wheel. George Got the truck back to day and it was a recall! so this is great news due to it being a common problem on the 4.2's. IF some one needs a scan of this due to a dealer giving them a problem about fixing it, email me at rpm9001@hotmail.com i will email a scan to you.

[This message has been edited by rpm9001 (edited 01-08-2000).]

Old 01-07-2000, 10:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
its under recall?? good, then i should be getting something in the mail soon.

------------------
'97 f-150 XLT V6 auto 3.55 silver reg cab flareside , 6 cd, Lariat floor mats, tonneau, ground effects, tint, glasspack w/ duals, new= ion optics fog lights, cracked windshield (thanks to a dodge caravan), 16X8 Eagle Alloys, K&N air filter (thanks Mudder). Future Mods= Billet Grille, driving lights, sunroof. the heartbeat stops here.
http://www.angelfire.com/ok3/ponysix8 http://www.angelfire.com/ok3/ponysix8/images/T004.wav

Old 01-11-2000, 10:32 AM
Unhappy

I just had my coolant leak fixed on Friday under recall as well. Also had a tune-up done. Got my truck back and now it has piston problem or bad crankshaft. This was told to me by my service department. Could this be their fault? They are trying to get Ford to fix this through the recall as well. Any help would be appreciated.

------------------
1997 F150 XLT RC, SWB, ORP,
3.55 LS, Soft Tonneau, 6 CD,
Bug Deflector, Smittybilt Nerf Bars
Nerf Bars
Future: Superchip, Moonvisor,
Flowmaster

Old 01-11-2000, 03:57 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sounds like you had some coolant in your oil. They should fix it under the recall.

------------------
'97 XLT Reg. Cab, 4.2V6, 5spd, Superchipped, K&N Air Filter, Lund Deflector, Dash Mat, MagnaFlow Muffler, Hellwig Rear Sway Bar, Edelbrock Shocks, Duraliner, Extang Saber Tonneau, Painted Tailgate Handle, Bell-Tech 2" Rear Drop, Amer. Rac. Atlas Wheels Clad in 275/60/17 Eagle GTII. Likes straightaways, loves twisties.

Old 01-12-2000, 03:57 AM
dcd
rpm9001,

I would be interested in any information you could provide about the new recall on the timing cover gaskets. Maybe the dealer can apply the refund towards $860 A/C replacement I learned about today. (@ 55k miles)

Thanks

email is dcd@multipro.com

------------------
1997 F-150 Reg Cab 4x2 4.2L 5 spd. 3.08
White/Silver
SnugTop Cab-hi w/ oversized windows & BedRug matching headliner
BedRug
Alpine CD / 200W RMS (50x4) Amp
JBL components up-front(50x2 W)
Rockford-Fosgate 8"sub(100 W)

[This message has been edited by dcd (edited 01-12-2000).]

Old 01-14-2000, 11:14 PM
I received my letter from Ford today.
Its Owner Notification Program 99B29.
It says that my vehicle is eligible
until 03/31/2001, regardless of
mileage. They will replace the gasket
with a redesigned gasket & change the
oil & filter. Since I just had mine
replaced (independant mechanic $250),
I guess I'll wait until it leaks
before I try it. Now if they will
recall doors, door latches, etc, I can
regain the pride I once had in my
truck!

Old 01-15-2000, 05:49 PM
I to got the notice of recall. The letter states "affected vehicles may experience engine coolant leaks at the engine front cover gasket."

Is this the same as the Head gasket? Is it connected to or related to the head gasket? I just had to have my head gasket replaced. My truck has 42,000 miles on it but Ford and I reached an agreement that I would only have to pay $495 of the $1300 cost. Along with the repair they gave me an extended warranty up to 75,000 miles. At first I thought it was a good deal but now I'm not so sure. What do you think?? All commments appreciated. Tom Casey

Trending Topics

Old 01-17-2000, 03:49 PM
Sounds like their common ploy is to charge. They charged me $500 but on mine they needed to replace the whole engine. Had the leak, they fixed it, but too late. Piston and cylinder damage.

Old 01-17-2000, 04:16 PM
I posted elsewhere on what I'm about to say so here it goes again.
I haven't seen a letter yet, but I went to the dealership on 1/12/00 and they agreed it was a recall and ordered the parts. Just have to wait for them to call back.

------------------
'97 f-150 XLT V6 auto 3.55 silver reg cab flareside , 6 cd, Lariat floor mats, tonneau, ground effects, tint, glasspack w/ duals, new= ion optics fog lights, cracked windshield (thanks to a dodge caravan), 16X8 Eagle Alloys, K&N air filter (thanks Mudder). Future Mods= Billet Grille, driving lights, sunroof. the heartbeat stops here.
http://www.angelfire.com/ok3/ponysix8 http://www.angelfire.com/ok3/ponysix8/images/T004.wav

Old 01-22-2000, 06:45 PM
Angry

Hi,
Regarding this front engine cover gasket recall, we received the notice on Friday
(1-14) and noticed a leak on Sun. We brought the truck to a dealer Mon and received back on Wed. Thursday, the engine stalled while doing 50mph and lost all power, mechanic says crankshaft and probably engine need to be replaced, its about to throw a rod. Sounds like a deisel when you shift. Could coolant have leaked into oil? Should Ford be responsible? Are these incidents absolutely related? Any advice and opinions would ba greatly appreciated as this is a major $$$$$ repair. Thanks.

Old 01-22-2000, 07:43 PM
is this recall on all 4.2L's? Would it be a recall on the 00's??

thanks

fake

------------------
Ford vs Chevy
www.fordvschevy.com
Moderator: Road Kill, Mustang vs F-bodies
2000 White F-150 Sport 4.2L 5-speed,3.55 rear end gears
No Mods Yet

Old 01-25-2000, 02:08 PM
Exclamation

How far out of warranty are you. I was out of warranty by a month and a half but had complained while the warranty was in affect and they replaced it but charged $500 for "extended wanrranty". I'm in the process of trying to fight that as well as I think the leak and the engine damage is definitely related.

Also, interesting that there are so many experiencing the leak from the rear slider, in the same location. This site is great!

Good luck to all .....

Old 01-25-2000, 02:49 PM
is this leak noticeable from the outside or does it only leak internally. i haven't noticed any leakage at all under my truck. thanks.
terry

------------------
'97 f150 rc, flair side,4x4,v6,5 spd, k&n air filter

Old 01-25-2000, 07:28 PM
called the dealer today. Parts are in except for 1 item and it is on factory back-order. my recall letter just now showed up.

fake,
as far as I know the recall only exists for '97 models. if they are using the exact same parts on '98-'00 models then they will experience it later on. call your dealer and tell them what you know and see what they have say about it.

wildchild,
the leak is external. if you get underneath the truck and see if the timing cover and surrounding area is wet. it may not be bad enough for to actually puddle on the ground.

Old 01-26-2000, 09:16 AM
thanks pony, if the weather ever gets back up to double digits, i'll go wash the salt and ice off and look for wetness. definitely haven't seen any puddles, nor any wetness at last oil change. just have to keep an eye on it i guess.

Quick Reply: Leaking timeing cover gaskets on 4.2 l Please read