Third Head Gasket

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2001, 05:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Third Head Gasket

I have a ’99 F150 5.4L that is ready for its third head gasket. My warranty will be over the end of this month. The dealer is telling me that this head gasket is thicker than the one they put on 6 months ago which was also a redesigned version from the original one. I will get a new head and intake this time. I have read all the post on this and would like to know if anyone has any new information or advise on this old problem?

Old 11-01-2001, 08:19 PM
In April I had the oil leak on my 99 F150 with a 5.4. They replaced both heads. I have not found any other leaks so far. The other times did they just replace the gaskets?

Old 11-01-2001, 10:07 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I assume that you are referring to the factory warranty of 3/36 and not an extended mileage warranty. If that were the case, I would request the arbitration forms from your dealer. Your case will get assigned to an independent arbitration board (independent in that they are knowledgeable in the auto industry but also may be another Ford Dealer and other business people). Having had that number of head gaskets already replaced, you should worse case get a free extended warranty from arbitration. Get all of you repair bills (dealer service), and document all repairs thoroughly and request to appear at the arbitration in person and go in person to plead your case.

Good Luck...

Old 11-01-2001, 11:05 PM
Exactly what he said.......You should at least get an extended warranty covering your head gaskets. Good luck.

Old 11-02-2001, 01:39 PM
My post may have been misleading. I have not had to replace two gaskets. The one it came with went out and was replaced, now that one is leaking. They have never replaced the heads to my knowledge. I am still on the factory warranty. I bought the truck form a different Ford dealer than I am using for the repairs, and the truck was used when I bought it. Perhaps I bought someone else's problem.

Old 11-04-2001, 02:48 PM
I had the same problem as you, Bspring. I had my head gasket replaced in december of 2000. They told me the same thing, it was a bad gasket. 10 months and 16,000 miles later, it's leaking in the same spot. Called the dealer, they told me their warranty is for 12 months/12,000 miles. It was out of warranty. Truck had 47,000 miles on it and had it's second bad head gasket! I believe it was not a gasket problem, but a machining problem on the block. Took that lemon 2 days later (1999 supercab xlt 4x4) and traded it in on a new rig (2001 Supercrew Lariat 4x4)! They gave me 16,500 on trade, so i was pleased! Solved my whole problem!! AND I LOVE MY NEW, PROBLEM FREE RIDE!

Old 11-05-2001, 03:46 PM
Sorry, I assumed that you bought it new amongst other assumptions.... never mind.

Old 11-05-2001, 07:55 PM
HAS ANYONE ELSE HEARD ABOUT BLOCK CASTING PROBLEMS WITH THE 5.4???? MAYBE THIS IS WHY THE HEAD GASKET KEEPS BLOWING.

Old 11-13-2001, 03:55 PM
just bringing this up to the top...

Old 11-14-2001, 11:59 AM
When my head gasket blew a year ago, they told me it was a casting problem with the block. I also had piston slap. They replaced my engine with an FQR. I thought things have been fine for a year and all of a sudden my truck is starting to stink again. The smell is burning oil on the exhaust manifold from a leaky head gasket. I have 1 month left on my factory warranty. I will take it in and see what their solution is; however, I have no desire to own this truck out of warranty. Unfortunately these things depreciate too much and it's only worth about $17k trade.

Old 11-28-2001, 04:39 PM
Talking

I thought I should let everyone know that Ford has ordered a new engine for me. As I said above they had replaced the right side once before. They ordered the new parts and told me I could drive the truck while they were waiting on the parts even though it would be out of warrantee by the time the parts came in. I took the truck across the country pulling an enclosed trailer. When I got back I dropped it off for the repair and asked that they check the block. I got a call today that they had ordered a new engine because they saw that the left side was now leaking and they were tired of messing with it.

Quick Reply: Third Head Gasket