Just dusted my buddies '98 Z71 350!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2000, 08:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink

I try real hard to keep my mouth shut when you guy's start talking about how fast your trucks are. I know this will really chap some ***, but have any of you every driven/owned a fast vehichle. I read these posts and wonder short of a Lighting how you can consider these trucks some kind of fast machine. If you guy's want to go fast buy a real hot rod and tow it to the track with your truck. I have a 5.4 and it runs nice! Real nice. I also have an old 63 Nova ss convertible, aprox. 375hp in a small package. Now thats fast. The way you go back and fourth you would think this is the Corvette Club. I also don't buy 25hp out of "The Chip". Why don't you guy's compare some things that your truck can really do well. Off roading comes to mind!? Now let me have it!! I know you all had a Pinto with a 600hp Big Block in High School and you know fast.

Old 02-26-2000, 09:40 PM
Thumbs down

Listen Stupid_ss, Nobody on this site actually thinks our trucks are fast by hot rod or performance car standards. I for one have owned fast cars. An '89 Mustang 5.0 w/mods running 13:93????@ 98.3mph, I owned a 87 conquest turbo (fairly quick), I owned a '94 stealth RT, (pretty damn quick)and excellent top end. So yes I can relate to fast by those standards and no none of these trucks can compare. However, when you talk truck to truck and which one is faster, that's were we like to compare. And I really get sick of everyone thinking the 350 chevy is sooo fast- it's not!!! I seen one get beat by a Ranger with a stock 4.0 in the quarter- the dude in the chevy was quite embarrased, and he was pulling on him hard toward the end of the quarter, but it wasn't enough. So to reply to your statement, Yeah, I'm pretty sure we all know that we can't compete with truly fast vehicles, but strap on an extra 3000lbs. to them a see the end result- until then shut up stupid_ss

------------------
'97 Ford SC 4X4 XLT Off Road pkg., 4.6,A/OD, 3:55, premium sound w/CD chg, Black clct,towing pkg., hvy duty elec. pkg., Bridestone dueler AT's, line X, Flowmaster true duals, chip, K&N air filter, smittybilt stainless nerf bars

Old 02-26-2000, 10:32 PM
Arrow

Alright alright. I consider myself one of the biggest Die Hard FORD fans around.. Heck, I work at GM and get flack about driving a FORD all the time. But, respect has to be present. It is kind of like trust, hard to gain, easily lost, and never fully regained. I'm glad we have Chevy and Dodge competing out there. In Economics, the base lesson taught to us is that competion has to bring better products. Obviosly it does in trucks. Back to the respect issue, even though I'm a FORD man, a Chevy 350 is a damn good engine. Saying it isn't contradicts the many people who have them in their modifieds and trucks winning trophys all over. Opinion is not fact, something easily forgotton. I have noticed that things are said on the Internet that would not be said in normal face to face conversation. Honestly, can some of you tell me, that if F150 online was a monthly meeting where we could see each other we would say some of the statements we make? I do not believe so. Common sense is not to common. I suppose I should say that I am not trying to offend anyone, but that is a useless statement, because to satisfy one group, the other has to be insulted. So take this however you want, but I just think sometimes we appear to get carried away for... for what? What and where is this bickering getting anybody?

And to the previous statement about a 4.0 Ranger whipping a 350. Here is what I think, the 350 was not racing; or was running on 4 cylinders. I have had a 4.0 Ranger, and have driven a couple of collegues, and honestly, I wasn't that impressed with them. But, in 2001, FORD is realeasing a Ranger with 205 HP. That version, I believe could beat a 350.

Old 02-26-2000, 10:44 PM
Don't underestimate a 4.0 Reg Cab Ranger w/a 5 speed. I agree trucks are not 'fast' in the same way a good car is, but my '92 Sport with the 175 hp engine was a strong runner with very good low end power. Never raced it against a 4.6 triton or a 350 Chevy, but I think it would certainly take a Supercab auto 4.6.

BTW Nickster - congrats on your good kill of the Chevy.

Old 02-27-2000, 12:33 AM
Cool

------------------
1999 F150 XLT S/C,5.4,Wht,ORP,Pwr seats,Infinity/Alpine, Factory Nerf BarsGlasstite Targa topper.K&N

[This message has been edited by Robert Rathburn (edited 02-27-2000).]

Old 02-27-2000, 03:09 AM
Cool

Nickster, You got a pretty good potty mouth I do guarantee! I don't remember calling you any names?! Whats up with that? As far as your examples of fast cars.. Ehh!? My point or should I say opinion was that these trucks were designed to haul, tow and go thru the woods, not race. Why don't you ask Mr. Chevy 350 to follow you thru the woods and see how he makes out. The F150 is the best off the shelf 4x4 out there bar none. You can race anyone you want. It just baffles the crap out of me why some people buy a truck, and then how they treat it afterwords! Can you imangine what we would get for 25k if the factory was only concerned with beating the comp in the qtr mile.I'm a gear head of sorts, it sounds funny when guys talk about drag racing almost stock trucks. And a chip, exhaust and air filter don't count you into this arena. And when you start claiming a stock 4.0 beats a 350 cubic inch engine you do indeed think I'm a stupid_ss. My hats off to Pastmaster for doing the math and standing his ground. I also think there is some fudging of the numbers here. Ford reworks the heads, intake and exhaust manifolds to get a modest hp gain when they could have got 25 hp with a little chip? Nickster, if you must attack do it with wit and intelligence it's much more effective and won't leave you looking like a stupid_ss.

------------------
1999 F150 XLT S/C,5.4,Wht,ORP,Pwr seats,Infinity/Alpine, Factory Nerf BarsGlasstite Targa topper.K&N

Old 02-27-2000, 10:46 AM
Robert,

You dont think the superchip gets us 25hp? Well, sorry, it does. Ive driven a 5.7l Silverado, and its not that fast! Im not impressed by it.

------------------
Fast46Triton ®

1999 Fast46triton Edition® Ford F150 XLT Supercab, Shortbed, 4x2, 4 wheel disc brakes/4 wheel Anti-Lock Brakes, Cloth Seats, Amazon green, 16" All season tires, Soft Tonneau Cover, CD Player, 4.6 liter Triton V8, 3:55 ls, towing package, 4 speed auto, K&N Airfilter
0-60 time of 8.2 seconds!
Email me at fast46triton@yahoo.com

[This message has been edited by fast46triton (edited 02-27-2000).]

Old 02-27-2000, 01:18 PM
Robert,

No problem! Im actually glad for once someone didnt yell back!

Old 02-28-2000, 12:08 AM
Talking

Fast46Triton, You know I've been skeptical about the chip for a long time but you seem sincere enough about it's proformance. I'm going to order it. I just hope it is truly a noticeable improvement. I hate the thought of buying gas at almost .30 cents more per gallon. And as for the 5.7 please know that I think the 5.4 is a better motor. I was raised in a Chevy house. All my brothers disowned me when I bought my 1987 Ranger. It was the most reliable ride I ever owned! I'm Ford Truck for life now. I take great satisfaction in Nicksters butt whoopin on a Chevy even though I have a Chevy muscle car in the garage. I also take lots of crap at work from the Chevy & Dodge boy's so maybe I should cut Nickster some slack, besides I saw he's a drummer like my self so he's got to be cool!

------------------

Old 02-28-2000, 12:40 AM
Try racing UPHILL that's when the Triton's really shine!!!!!!

I raced a new chevy don't know what engine it was or anything but it was a V8. Uphill I was pushing him but couldn't pass. On the straight ways he would walk off and leave me(this was a 4WD)at top speed I would slowly pull away from him, I think his speed limiter prohibited any more. This race lasted for about 15 minutes not a wussy staight stretch race. As for this race I would call it about even.

Next, new Dodge Dakota 318, uphill I think it was a 8% grade not for sure. Anyway I walked away from him of course. I slowed down and waited for him when he caught back up he slowed beside(on a straight strech now). I rolled down my window and flipped him the bird shoved it up in 3rd gear and floored it, pulled away, as I hit 4th he was gaining since he had an automatic. We ran side by side for approx 2 miles@5200 RPM or so then my radar detector went off and I nose dived right there on the spot and he kept going. After he went by the city pig(no offense if there are any cops on this board)he cut the blues on and come out. I was sh***ing bricks if I get one more speeding ticket my liscense will be revoked. Any way the cop caught up to me and just went on by thank GOD! after a couple more miles he had the shiny red Dakotey pulled over. I blew my horn as I went by.

As you can tell by the all the points against my liscense I do this often and refuse to let anybody pass me no matter what they are in! Tryed on a 5.4 once he left me but it didn't just leave me setting there!!

Want to go with a full size Dodge but I can't get the pansy's to do it.

------------------
99 F-150 XLT Sport, Black 4x4 4.6L , 3.55 LS,Manual Tranny, K&N air filter, No Muff Exaust system,.999 tuned TPS,Pioneer CD Player,Pioneer GM-X332 Amp,8" Rockford Fosgate Punches, Custom(self done)pinstriping,Wrap around bugdeflecter

Old 02-28-2000, 10:52 PM
Smile

Chris, Thanks for the insight! Putting it the way you did makes me feel alot better about buying the chip. I still don't feel a stock 4.0 can take a stock 350 from a dead stop in the Qtr mile if both drivers can race, but trying to keep an open mind I'm sure it happens.

------------------

Old 02-29-2000, 12:23 AM
Cool

Something to remember is that there are many factors that can determine these results from actual dyno HP and torque to different gearing in the tranny and rear end. All these things can alter a vehicles performance characteristics at different speeds and gears. I Love my Ford truck, but my little lowered s-10 4.3L 5-speed would have been very close competition for my new ford.

On these engines, true that they are fairly new and will get better in time. Personally, I think they should have offered the 32 valve cobra engine at over 300 hp (thinking about putting one in my truck). My wife's 97 Cobra convertible is quite impressive with this engine. I think one with a supercharger would be just the thing my lowered 98 flareside needs

And Robert, concerning the chip, even though I don't have one... yet ... I believe that you will find that it is beneficial. There is a reason why they actually work. First of all, Ford is not trying to coax every ounce of performance out of these engines because the vast majority of poeple buying them are not that concerned with it. So, they detune the computers slightly to achieve slightly better gas mileage, the ability to use regular gas, and to make the shifts seem a little more softer for a more smooth ride. It is a fact that overhead cam engines do have some advantages. Any time you eliminate some of the reciprocating motions (ie, pushrods and rocker arms) you increase the ability to handle more rpm. Look at the RX7 rotary engines, buy eliminating the changing directions of the pistons they were able to handle around 10K rpms very effectively.

Just my $0.02 worth.....

------------------
Chris Thomas
1998 F-150XLT Flareside STX Sport Package, 4.6L Auto 3.55 Oxford White/Gray interior, Factory Anti-theft system
Picture: http://216.147.104.171/Y2K/members/ChrisT/christ1a.jpg
Homepage: Chris & Brandi's Universe
Mods: A.R.E. Decklid/Oxford White with gray fabric liner, K&N filter with Airbox Mod (removed silencer), Lowered 3" front/5" rear, Tinted Windows, GTS sloted taillight covers (painted Oxford white to match), Removed STX stickers
Audio: Kenwood Truck speakers with 10" woofers, Rockford Fosgate and Alpine Amps, Ford 10 disk CD changer
Future Mods: 20" rims and tires, True duals with Supertrap tunable mufflers, Superchip, Supercharger, Jacobs Ignition, and whatever else I can think of!!!

Old 03-01-2000, 07:35 PM
Robert Rathburn,
My apologies for calling you stupid, guess I took the speed thing personal since it was my post. I'm not a gear head, but I have several friends that are so I can discuss the topic and enjoy racing (watching of course). Anyway, I'm glad to see your a fellow drummer, what kind of set do you play? By the was my buddies Z71 is in the shop as I type this so I guess he should think about getting a Ford pretty soon. My apologies again.

------------------
'97 Ford SC 4X4 XLT Off Road pkg., 4.6,A/OD, 3:55, premium sound w/CD chg, Black clct,towing pkg., hvy duty elec. pkg., Bridestone dueler AT's, line X, Flowmaster true duals, chip, K&N air filter, smittybilt stainless nerf bars

Old 03-01-2000, 10:02 PM
Love the fact that another notch has been added to the Ford betting Chevy belt. I have not been able to find the info. but if I remember correctly, doesn't Chevy have a problem putting the horsepower to the ground. The amount of hp lost throughout the drivetrain compared to the Ford's is alot more. Maybe this factor can be the reason for some of the stories that are being told here. It doesn't matter if you have 300 hp under the hood, if you only get 250 hp to the ground, it won't help in the race whether uphill or down. My uncle has a 4.0L with the 5 sp. and man can that thing ever boggie. If Chevy is having this problem and along with the torque being delivered at a lower rpm on the Fords, wouldn't that make up for some of the difference in horsepower ???? Just asking.

Have Fun & Keep on Truckin'
Dean

------------------
1994 F-150 XLT Supercab, Long Box, 302 EFI, Automatic, Royal Blue in and out, Captain Chairs. Chrome Rims 15x8's, Michelin LTX M/S 105S 235/75R15 (Summer), OEM Aluminum Rims 15x8's, Michelin LTX M/S 108S (Winter), Lightly Tinted, Soft Tonneau Cover, Ford Receiver Hitch Cover & Lock, Alpine CDM-7829 Head Unit, PPI 4800 Amplifier, Kicker 10" Solo Baric Sub with Custom Box and Kicker Impulse 6.5 Mid & Tweets.

Old 03-01-2000, 11:05 PM
Thumbs up

i just have one thing to say and one thing to say only

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!GO FORD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4.6 LARIAT 4X4 STEPSIDE REGULAR CAB

Quick Reply: Just dusted my buddies '98 Z71 350!!!