Lightning motor in mustang

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2001, 07:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightning motor in mustang

My new motor for my 99 lightning is showing up tomorrow. I want to put the old motor in my mustang. (fox body). Need help finding someplace that will sell me what I need, Motor mounts, Oil pan, computer, bellhousing and so on. I have seen pics of this done in a fox body stang. Anybody have any?? It is going to be a long project. Any help would be great.
Jeff

Old 10-15-2001, 08:21 PM
Sounds Like a custom jobto me!

The stock computer should work if you use a stock L trans. The rest of the stuff sounds like it's gonna be a custom deal. Maybe a machine shop could fab it for you. It sounds like you're trying to go with a 5-spd so the stock bell housing from any modular-5spd combo should work. The trans itself wont handle the torque tho. I'd plan on getting a T-56 to handle the power.

Sounds like a fun project! Keep us informed!

Old 10-15-2001, 09:37 PM
Thumbs up Mustang

I cant remeber which magizine it was in, but some one is putting an '01 Lightning motor in a '69 mustang. The trans. fit with little modification, some mods in the engine bay, the hood had to be replaced with one similar to the Cobra R becasue of clearence. Other mods had to be done to the chasis to help hold all the power. I know its not a "fox body", love that style, but it could be done. Sorry for the length.

Old 10-15-2001, 10:19 PM
I am planning on going with a C-4 for a tranny. Are the 5.4 and the 4.6 the same width? I was told that Alternative Auto sells motor mounts and bellhousings for the 4.6 to fit in the fox body cars. I was running 12.30s with that motor in my truck, and that weighed in at 4,705 pounds.
Jeff

Old 10-15-2001, 10:52 PM
The 5.4 has a taller block height so it is a wider engine...why are you not going to use a t56 or t5???These already fit in there...

Quick Reply: Lightning motor in mustang