New Plug Wires, or Not?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2001, 08:22 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question New Plug Wires, or Not?

Hello to all:

My '97 Ford F-150 XLT 4x4 ORP just eclipsed the 100,000-mile mark, and therefore I'm performing the required routine maintenance. By the way, the truck still runs like new. The truck right now is up on jack stands.

I have already installed new Rancho 9000 shocks. I've ordered, and am awaiting delivery of four new Goodyear Wrangler AT/S tires from Tire Rack. (Replacing the original RT/S tires; great mileage out of those tires, and they still have a few sixteenths of tread left, but with winter approaching its time for them to go!)

I spent about four or five hours today removing or relocating all the miscellaneous covers, wiring harnesses, power steering reservoir, etc. so that I could have relatively easy access to the spark plugs. I read several of the threads here on F150online about changing the plugs so I was forearmed with good information.

I wasn't sure if I should replace the serpentine drive belt; visually inspecting it in place, it appeared satisfactory. However, after some consideration I decided now was the time to replace the belt. After removal of the belt, which was relatively easy, I found I had made the right decision. The belt had a few small cracks along the inner surface.

I am planning to replace the plugs with Motorcraft O.E.M plugs.

The '97 4.6L has spark plug wires that extend from two coil packs (?) located on opposite sides at the front of the motor, criss-crossing to the plugs on either side. It appears that it will be a considerable amount of work replacing and re-routing new plug wires. The current plug wires seem to be in good condition. They are clean with no oil saturation visible.

My question, for those who know, is: Should I retain the current plug wires; or should I go for new O.E.M wires?

In addition, I have read other's recommendations for going with Ford Motorsport or Accel 8mm plug wires. What is the advantage of these performance wires over O.E.M? I have been satisfied with the performance of the original plug wires.

Finally, if any of you F150online members has any other recommendations, tricks or tips that would be helpful during this major maintenance task, your input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks. Sorry it was so long and windy.

Peace to all. God Bless America.

Wilk

Old 10-14-2001, 03:12 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I say go with new ones after all they have 100,00 miles on them

Old 10-14-2001, 03:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeah you probably should replace them; I'm surprised you haven't had trouble yet; and your right, it is not fun changing them.

Old 10-14-2001, 04:37 PM
hmustang & beast97:

Thanks for the feedback. I will replace the plug wires.

Wilk

Old 10-14-2001, 05:19 PM
Thumbs up Better Flow...

The 8mm wires have less resistance than the stock wires. Therefore you will get a better spark in less time. Even though the travel time for the current is only a fraction of a second faster, it should make a difference.

Old 10-15-2001, 02:02 AM
Replace them. I replaced mine at 55k. Not fun changing them but it was worth it. When you connect the end on the coil pack be very careful because those clips break real easy. Don't know what auto parts stores you have by you but I would go to a good one. The dealer charges around $100 for teh set but I got mine at a auto parts store for 85.

Old 10-15-2001, 07:27 PM
Hello to all:

Thanks for the replies.

I could not locate online the Ford Motorsport performance plug wires.

I order Motorcraft O.E.M. plug wires ($64) and serpentine drive belt ($27) from fordpartsonline.com.

I also just purchased the O.E.M. spark plugs ($71), yikes!

Thanks again.

Wilk

Quick Reply: New Plug Wires, or Not?