How many miles before switching to mobil 1 ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2000, 06:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
snow white,

After you read the info that Guadenti posted below your post on synthetic oils you can evaluate it better.

There is nothing wrong with using conventional oils changed at the recommended intervals. I waited until my first normal oil change to convert to Mobil 1 (1750 miles/3 months)since there is nothing wrong with the oil that comes from the factory.

Understand that cars for years lasted hundreds of thousands of miles on a top grade conventional oils changed at the recommended intervals along with the oil filter.

I, for one, am a little "****" about routine maintenance of my vehicles and use the more expensive synthetic Mobil 1 changed at the recommended factory intervals. My truck would probably run just fine with a petroleum based oil. It makes no difference whether you have a 4 cyl, V-6, V-8 or a V-10.

However, I have seen the internal difference of two engines (V-6s)run to 100,000 miles on Mobil 1 and a petroleum based oil changed at the factory intervals. The physical difference regarding the cleanliness of the Mobil 1 engine was staggering and sobering. It was nearly immaculate internally!

So, whether I am "****" about this or not is irrelevant. I have witnessed the difference and to me, the difference in the cost of Mobil 1 is immaterial to me. Not only will keep my engine cleaner, I feel better using it.

Mr driving involves about 7,000 miles per year under "extreme" operating conditions:
short run, stop and go, failing to meet normal operating temperatures and I figure I am doing my engine a big favor using Mobil 1 5w-30 in it.

The choice is yours. As long as you change your oil and filter at the recommended factory intervals you should not have an oil related problem. And follow the factory recommendations as to the weight of the oil you use!

By the way, those F150 "Sports" are about the greatest looking trucks!

------------------
Dunbarton "The Middle Aged Kid" '99 XLT SC SB 4x2 4.6 auto 3.55 ls The occasional Z-71 Eater! Wedgewood & Denim, SuperChipped, Airaid FIPK, Rhino Liner, Extang Classic tonneau cover, Mobil 1. Man, I got it all! (New Jersey)

Old 02-02-2000, 07:13 PM
Don
Regarding the comment about some vehicles being factory filled with Mobil 1, there is more to the story than discussed so far.
The ability of piston rings to seal effectively can be the product of (2) methods. When a typical engine block is torqued at assembly, stresses are induced that distort the cylinder wall. The ability of the rings to "scuff" or "seat" is necessary to redefine the bore cylindricity.
Modern, advanced engine design and manufacturing can greatly reduce the distortion incured at assembly and at operating temprature. Thus the need for "break-in" is not as critical.
Are current Ford engines of this level?
I don't know, and doubt most commenting here are. There is no harm in following a break-in proceedure with petroleum oil before using a synthetic.
Having done this, my '98 4.6L with 43K miles has neglidible oil consumption at 5k oil change interval.

------------------

Old 02-02-2000, 07:27 PM
I know this has nothing to do with fords, but here goes.

I just purchased a Y2K VW Jetta TDI(Diesel)

It is supposed to filled from the factory with synthetic. The manaul calls for the first oil change at 5,000 miles. then at 10,000 miles. and Every 10,000 miles there after.

I really think the reason to change your oil at an early interval is to make sure that all the crude is out from the factory. I also belive that you will get some higher wear at the begining which will taper off as the miles rack up.

I would like to see an analysis that starts from the first oil change until about 60k or so. I bet you really can see a difference.

On the Jetta I plan to get an analysis at the 5K change then again after that. I will try to keep a log on this one to see what is actually going on.

On my F150 I did an analysis at 20k right before I switched over to Amsoil Series 2000.

So I won't get another analysis until next year when I change my oil again. If you all can wait that long you will see my results. I will post both the before and after!

------------------
Lube-Direct

Old 02-03-2000, 01:44 PM
Dunbarton:

Your Quote:
From the factory, these vehicles are shipped with Mobil 1:

Viper
Corvette
Porsche
BMW

Just so you know, BMW doesn't ship synthetic from the factory, but they do change over to synth at the first oil change. Personal experience, no flames intended.

Steve

Old 02-03-2000, 02:12 PM
Thanks guys for the info on synthetics, but another question arrises. Is mobil 1 better than other syntheics or is it just the perfered product? I know that I'll will have my truck for a while so I want to keep it as well maintained as possible. Excuse me for being lazy but what is the recomended oil change interval for the 4.2? I am up to around 2600 miles from factory.

Dunbarton,
I couldn't agree with you more about the Sport model, but they look even better with dual chrome bell tips at the rear.

------------------
2000 150 sport solid white, K&N filterpack the rest is still stock....for now anyway!

Old 02-03-2000, 05:12 PM
Banned
Mobil 1 is more widely available in all grades than any other synthetic, hence the preference. Some will point to this reason or another why they think their choice is best, but everyone I've talked to who's used Valvoline Synpower, Quaker State Synthetic, Amsoil, Redline, Kendall Synthetic, Castrol Syntec, Phillips 66 Trop Arctic Synthetic, Havoline Synthetic, etc., has been just as happy as the Mobil 1 users. I would use what ever brand you've been happy with in the past.

Old 02-03-2000, 05:34 PM
LXGuy,

Not a problem. I like to be as precise and accurate as possible. I stand corrected about BMW "at the first oil change."

Ford Man,

You are entirely accurate about the other synthetics and I did not mean to interpret there is anything wrong with the others by stating "Mobil 1" exclusively. I simply can find it anywhere.

Snow White,

I apply the "3 month/3000 miles" oil change frequency due to my severe driving habits.

You should really read your owner's manual thoroughly regarding maintenance. There is good information for everyone in there about their vehicles. I think there may be a 5,000 mile oil change interval too but cannot swear to this.

And no, Ford Man is correct again. Mobil 1 is probably not better than the other brand name synthetics. They simply have a higher rocognizable name due to their heavier advertising. The key word here is still "synthetic" I believe.

------------------
Dunbarton "The Middle Aged Kid" '99 XLT SC SB 4x2 4.6 auto 3.55 ls The occasional Z-71 Eater! Wedgewood & Denim, SuperChipped, Airaid FIPK, Rhino Liner, Extang Classic tonneau cover, Mobil 1. Man, I got it all! (New Jersey)

Old 02-03-2000, 09:56 PM
Talking

Hey guys I have a different oil question. I have about 30,000 miles on my 4.2 and it has been serviced every 3000 miles with regular petrolem base oil. My question is, would it be ok if I switched to mobile 1 at 30,000 Miles?

------------------
chodie1

Old 02-03-2000, 10:16 PM
Banned
Yes, just asked that question when I spoke to a few of these companies.

Old 02-03-2000, 10:36 PM
chodie1,

I changed to Mobil 1 at 25K after running Castrol GTX and Valvoline motor oil. My engine is just fine no leaks, no oil consuption. I am currently running the 5K drain interval. After 6K miles of Mobil I really like it. Cold starts are not a problem coldest so far this year has been -17 below zero fired right up.

------------------
98 F-150 XL 4x4, 4.2L, 5sp, 3.55LS, tow package, P255x70 R16, 8ft box

Old 02-04-2000, 04:12 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

chodie1:

No problem switching over to synthetic at 30,000 miles.

---------------------------------------------
2000 F-150 XLT, 4x2, 5.4L Supercab, Styleside, Black with silver two-tone, 3.55, class III towing package with heavy duty cooling package, 4 wheel disk ABS, overhead console, sliding rear window, keyless entry, dark graphite interior, in dash CD, Pendaliner bedliner, K&N air filter, rubberized undercoating, cabin filtration system, Bugflector II, 5W-30 Mobil 1, engine build 10/4/99

Old 02-04-2000, 07:58 PM
Talking

I bought it because the guy on the TV commercial has an accent.

------------------
99' F-150 XLT SC 4X4 ORP LS 4.6L - K&N Air Filter & Custom 3" Intake from fender to TB, Superchip, PowerAid, Rapidflow 3" single CatBack exhaust, Fluidyne Trany cooler, A.R.E. Cover, Duraliner bed liner & Mobil1 5W-30.

Old 02-04-2000, 09:00 PM
Thumbs up

I agree with Odin,

In my youth (in the 70's and 80's), I did many an oil change on cars with >150K miles that ran just fine. There is no doubt that even today's engines will do fine on dino oil for the long run. I based my decision on similar criteria as Dunbarton (i.e., the "anality index"). Also, cold weather starting with synthetics is just unparalleled. Those of us in the northeast can all remember the grunt,grunt, grunt sound of starting motors on cold mornings up here. With synthetic in the crankcase, however, those babies spin just like a day in July and the oil gets to the lifters in a jiffy. So in short, we do not need synthetic oils, we want them!

Cheers

------------------
BLK 2000 F150 XLT 4X4 SuperCab SB, Shift-on-the-fly, 5.4L, 4R70W, 3.55 LS, 4-Wheel disc/ABS, ORP, Keyless, PWR Seat, Slider, Soft tonneau, Cab steps.
MODS: Rhino, Molded flaps, Mobil1 0W-30

Quick Reply: How many miles before switching to mobil 1 ?