Octane

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2000, 08:40 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
fast46--

Yes---MUCH to my surprise my times were pathetic with the higher octane. I really expected just the opposite.

You might be interested to know that a fellow F-150 owner with a 99 supercab and I decided to see what these beasts could do head to head on the highway...and I did not find out until afterwards when we pulled over to chat that his was a 99 4.6L with a superchip. He lost..but I will admit..not by a ton. He was 100% impressed with my 'stock' 2000 5.4L performance. I could still pull away from him...even going from 30-70 mph...but he was not all that far behind.

We slowed to 40 mph and were just about even (the entire time I was thinking he also had a 5.4L)..so he counted down with his fingers 3-2-1 and took off..I was not so quick on the gas..and he got a 3/4 truck length on me right away. I just kept it on the floor..caught him and pulled a full truck length a head of him before we backed off.

I can honestly say..I have great respect for the 4.6L .. especially one that is chipped.

Two thumbs up for sure!

---------------------------------------------
2000 F-150 XLT, 4x2, 5.4L Supercab, Styleside, Black with silver two-tone, 3.55, class III towing package with heavy duty cooling package, overhead console, sliding rear window, keyless entry, dark graphite interior, in dash CD, Pendaliner bedliner, K&N air filter, rubberized undercoating, cabin filtration system, Bugflector II, 5W-30 Mobil 1, engine build 10/4/99

[This message has been edited by Dustoff (edited 01-14-2000).]

Old 01-15-2000, 12:14 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rand,

I would think that with the DRAMATIC (Using a higher octane will dramatically increase carbon build-up in your engine PERIOD!!!!) buildup youre describing, my truck would be on the side of the road after two years of nasty 93.

No clogging, no sputtering, no problems...period. 93 will not cause any problems with these engines, they compensate for the higher octane. If my engine cant handle 93, then why do i get better MPG? Simple, if the engine couldnt burn it, the excess would go out the pipe and I would see much lower mpg. Mine has gotten better with the use of 93. I also used 93 in my 91 Explorer for over 8 years.

------------------
The Truck: 1997 Black F-150 Flareside. Regular Cab ORP and Towing Package
The Mods: K&N Filter, Eurolid Hard Tonneau, Profile Windstream Side Deflectors and Ford Bug Deflector.
The Site:
Triton's 4.6 Liter Web Page
www.mindspring.com/~acbradley/index.html

[This message has been edited by Triton46 (edited 01-14-2000).]

Old 01-22-2000, 08:19 AM
Thumbs up

My 4.2 runs the same and gets the same mileage on 87 as it did on 89, which I ran for the first year or so- no ping, no hesitation, no power loss- why spend the extra money? Mine is pretty much all city driving so highway performance and mph might be different with 89 or higher, but for city driving 87 is fine!

Old 01-22-2000, 07:15 PM
Location: INDIANA,.....USA " Where more than Corn grows in Indiana"!!!
Thumbs up

I use regular unlead 87 most of the time. About once a month I put in a tank full of prem.92 or 93 with injector cleaner to keep the tank , lines ,injectors & cylinder walls cleaned-up!!!.....Lariat#1

------------------
1997 Red/Silver F150 Lariat Flareside 3 Dr. SC W/ ORP & Tow Package, Complete Lariat Package Option List ,{APPEARANCE}: AVS Carbon Fiber Headlite Covers, Tail Lite Slots & Door Sill Protectors,Owens Fg. Step Boards, Tinted Windows,Ford 2-Piece Bra,20" Chrome Exhaust Tips,A.R.E Bed Cover Lid,Pendaliner Inner Tail Gate Protector,Zie-Bart Total Paint & Under Coating W/ Sounder Deadener Protection, #1 Ford Truck Plate under glass on Front Bumper, {PERFORMANCE}: 4.6L Auto, 3.55LS, 4-Wheel ABS,Platinum 3 Spark Plugs,K&N Air Filter W/ modified stock air box, Tornado Air Man.,WMS Velocity Tube,Dual Exhaust System,Per. Fiction Carbon Mettalic Disc Brake Pads,Goodyear Wrangler A/TS Tires,55 Watt(replacement) Back-up Lites, Pilot 55 watt Back-up Lites on Hitch under truck,Foglites work W/ Brites On , {STEREO}: Stock In-Dash Cass. W/6 Disc Changer & 4 Stock Speakers, {SECURITY}: Ford Security System W/ Motion Alarm All on same Key Fob, This is LARIAT 1... IN The Great State Of Indiana..........http://hometown.aol.com/terrylariat1...page/auto.html A very Proud Member of ...www.f150online.com

Old 01-22-2000, 07:55 PM
Dustoff,

How does your truck pull from above 70? Slow or strong? Im surprised how much faster my 99 is than my 97'. From 70, this one will eat my 97', and also off the line.

Old 01-23-2000, 11:09 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

fast46--
My 2000 is much stronger than my 98 5.4L above 70 mph. It is more than adequate going from 70+, but not a 'race car'. Off the line..my 2000 would outright kill my 98.

Most important for me is the passing power 40-70 mph range...and it is rather quick.

--------------------------------------------
2000 F-150 XLT, 4x2, 5.4L Supercab, Styleside, Black with silver two-tone, 3.55, class III towing package with heavy duty cooling package, 4 wheel disk ABS, overhead console, sliding rear window, keyless entry, dark graphite interior, in dash CD, Pendaliner bedliner, K&N air filter, rubberized undercoating, cabin filtration system, Bugflector II, 5W-30 Mobil 1, engine build 10/4/99

Quick Reply: Octane