Cam shaft issues.

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2019, 07:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cam shaft issues.

So. . . if 2005 ford 5.4l 3v engines don't have cam bearing inserts (who the F#%! decided that was exepable anyhow?) How are they supposedly fitted for bew camshafts? If the thigs got scars all over from the previous one being worn and lacing appropriate oil retention for keeping the hydraulic wedge stopping friction??

Old 11-24-2019, 07:45 PM
Is there some way of reaming the things and getting an insert or something like that? I can't imagine ford scraping a head over a bad cam.

Old 11-24-2019, 11:10 PM
Received 220 Likes on 200 Posts
I think that when these engines are remanufactured the cam journals are bored out and bearings pressed in. A machine shop that rebuilds these heads should have the capability to align bore the cam journals and press in new bearings.

Old 11-25-2019, 02:07 AM
I have the ability and even access to a align hone I use for VW cases I coud tool for the job I just want to do it the best big picture way I can got to much invested in the thing now to right it off as a flower planter or turn it in to a barbecue grill. Just sink or swim time and gotta have my sh#% together when I move forward or loose the $6000 invested.im glad to find out some one actually makes inserts for it who is it do you know?

Old 11-25-2019, 09:48 AM
Did a quick internet search and found this link. Probably more out there.

https://autoplicity.com/10536425-dur...hoCqV0QAvD_BwE

Old 11-25-2019, 04:58 PM
Out here in reality

So in reality how do you think this compares to the average 200,000+ mile 5.4l 3v? Its rediculas to expect an aluminum journal to hold up against a case hardened cam shaft but i see a lot of them goin down the road every day.

Old 11-25-2019, 05:15 PM
That is about average of all of the journals. Cant see the groves as plainly as I'd of liked but if it were an insert it would be well in to the bronze and is comparable to a Rod journal that had spun not having had your foot on the floor for to long as a cause. Ive reused many SBC rods that had spun (even been known to file the rod and cap down once or twice to get suitable fitment if that would get me back out on the track for the night.) But this is not a toy that travels on a trailer this is theoretically going to be pulling said trailer. As well as that if the bomber scaters out all over the place I still dont have to hear it from the wife all the way while we walk to the nearest civilization. Only while loading it on the trailer if she has to help secure the remains.

Old 11-25-2019, 05:51 PM
A lot of high rpm motorcycle engines didn't have cam bearings either. I remember reading a loong time ago that one of the reasons the state of CA chose Kawasaki motorcycles instead of Hondas back in the days of the CHIPS tv show was because the Kawas had cam bearings and the Hondas didn't.

Old 11-26-2019, 09:37 PM
Anyone who sees a lot of these care to way in about how bad these are compared to others they have seen and how long it might last like this? Id apriciate the input

Old 11-27-2019, 09:55 AM
The 5.4 3V engines could use a higher volume oil pump which would help the cam "bearings" and cam phasers to last longer. But, the "bearing" issue doesn't appear to be a big issue that is widely discussed on the forums.

Old 11-27-2019, 03:27 PM
Believe it - Ford tried to scrap my entire engine over 3 bad Chinese valves I found in my #7 Cylinder. It pays to get a 2nd opinion.

Old 01-25-2020, 10:47 PM
So I've been on a journey with this 2005 with 243,000 kms. Had the phaser, knocking issue at hot idle. I had scoring in my cams and was concerned about that. But I decided to do the timing job with the Cloyes kit from RockAuto. I put it all back together and no change. So I dropped the oil pan to find my pickup tube was crammed with junk - aluminum shavings from the crankshaft main bearings wearing away and broken black plastic from a deteriorated timing chain guide. So I cleaned that all out expecting it to run good. Nope. Still did the same issue. I installed an oil pressure gauge instead of the dummy gauge at the oil filter housing. That was the best move I made and is key to understanding where your 5.4 is at with this whole issue. I still had about 15 psi at hot idle in gear. Another weird thing is the low rpm the pcm commands in gear. In park the computer is targeting an idle of 620 or so if I recall, but in drive or reverse it commands 512. And this is where the oil pressure drops to its lowest value. Forgot to say I installed the Melling high volume oil pump when I did the timing. So...after pulling myself back together after a very disappointing test drive I decided to pull the engine. The crankshaft main bearings were really worn down. You're supposed to have 1-2 thou between the crank journals and the bore with the aluminum bearings in there. I had 13 thou on one, 18 on the other. The best was 6 thou. So all my oil pressure was pouring out down below and not feeding the rest of the system. I installed new bearings from RockAuto and my oil pressure went way way up. I never saw the phaser/knocking/VVT issue again. Now I'm onto brakes and body work and hope to have it sold in a week or so. But to address the issue you guys were talking about originally. The scoring on the camshaft is ok. Mine went back together with a little buffing. The front cap and cam was scored like yours (not quite as bad) and it doesn't affect operation. I measured the bore and the cam while I had it out and you're supposed to have 1-3 thou and I had 6 on the front. That was the worst one, the rest were on spec. But if you tighten up the bottom end and get the Melling HV pump in there I think you'll be fine even with a scored cam. I'll post some pics of the rebuild hold on...

Hope you can see some scoring on the front camshaft journal

But this was the cause of the oil pressure problem - worn crankshaft main bearings

Lapped the valves while I had it apart

And this is a well known issue - blown timing chain tensioner gasket. Some people say the loss of oil pressure starts here, then deteriorates the main bearings, then causes the cam phasers not to work good.

Old 08-25-2021, 08:50 PM
5.4 3 valve 2006 F150

Originally Posted by AmantaB. Newman
So. . . if 2005 ford 5.4l 3v engines don't have cam bearing inserts (who the F#%! decided that was exepable anyhow?) How are they supposedly fitted for bew camshafts? If the thigs got scars all over from the previous one being worn and lacing appropriate oil retention for keeping the hydraulic wedge stopping friction??
I found mine had inserts to with same.numbers as your inserts. Cam lobe bad from frozen lifter follower. I ordered new cam, new cam bearing journals are .10” bigger than old cam journals.
so I would think either my cams are incorrect that I ordered or? Cams are the ones with phasers.
any one know the proper right cam I need for my rig, that has those insert bearings.
any help would be great. Thanks. Just do not want to keep ordering the wrong cams

Quick Reply: Cam shaft issues.