5.4 interchangability

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2019, 04:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
5.4 interchangability

1st timer here, I am very well capable with the old school engines anything before the 4.6 and 5.4's. my son has an 03 f150 with the 5.4 that is in need of some engine work. We found a 2000 5.4 out of a van (supposedly) which was suppose to have only 60K. I measured the ring end gap at .030 on the compression ring, I am guessing this thing has a lot more than 60K on it. But the mains and rods are perfect with factory tolerances, go figure. The cylinders do not even measure out to stock bore, realizing calipers are not the best method and not having a bore dial gauge what can you do. So long story short, other than external accessories will the long block interchange from the 2 years and should we be buying parts needed for the 2000 model or are all parts interchangeable. thanks

Old 01-14-2019, 05:36 PM
glc
Received 761 Likes on 704 Posts
Yes, it will interchange. Use the manifolds off the 2003 engine, the van manifolds are different.

Confirm the heads have "PI" stamped on them above the rightmost exhaust port. If they don't, take a pass on the engine, it has considerably less power than a PI engine and there will be some interchange issues. Supposedly the van got the PI upgrade in 1999, same as the F-series and the SUV's.

Quick Reply: 5.4 interchangability