What happens if you install timing guides wrong? (4.6 2V)

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2018, 03:31 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
What happens if you install timing guides wrong? (4.6 2V)

Asking for a friend...

He switched the sides of the timing tensioner guides when putting in a new timing set on a Romeo 4.6. He said that they both fit in the same way, only one had a step/spacer on the pivot, and it did not contact with anything on the block or timing cover.

I checked on some old parts I had laying around my shop, and even on a core engine I've got, and I don't see how switching the tensioner guides could cause a problem, because they are free-floating, and not bolted down, and don't contact any part of the block or timing cover.
In fact, the original guides from the 5.4 I used were a universal kind with no step at all.
Why did Ford use two different tensioner guides, and will this cause a problem for me, um, I mean my friend?

The engine is still on a stand, so it won't be too much trouble to change it, but it would sure suck to have to take it apart again if it really wasn't necessary.

Does anyone have any input?

Old 03-21-2018, 07:58 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've never tried mixing them around. The step rests against the block if I recall correctly. Are you sure you got them on backwards? If so, I'd definitely swap them around. If not, I'd still open it back up and double-check.

Last edited by EsJayEs; 03-21-2018 at 08:02 PM.

Quick Reply: What happens if you install timing guides wrong? (4.6 2V)