FQR updates

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-1999, 09:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post FQR updates

For those who have received FQRs, how are they running and how many miles have you put on them?

Old 11-22-1999, 11:46 PM
Thumbs up

I have about 5,000 miles so far. It runs stronger than the old motor for sure. The are only two problems I have encountered so far. The exhaust pops loud on warm-up and cool down. It seems to be less noticeable as the miles tick away. The only other issue I have is that it doesn't idle like a new motor. Don't get me wrong, it is relatively smooth, just nothing like the purr of a brand new motor. I'm not sure if it is the intake, fuel injectors or what.

Other than those few things, I am very pleased with the outcome! I wouldn't have wanted a new truck, heck, I just got this one the way I want it. I figure the new engine has giving me 50K more miles on the "bad boy" and I will gladly use them

------------------
'97 F150 Lariat, Flareside, white/sliver, SC, ORP, 5.4 (FQR 8/99) running Mobil 1
Mods: 305/70/16 GY ATS, AR Baja wheels, dual exhaust, Smittybilt Nerf Bars, Edelbrock IAS Shocks, K&N Filter, Carbon Fiber Bug Gaurd and rigged the fog lights too.

[This message has been edited by kkirt1 (edited 11-23-1999).]

Old 11-23-1999, 01:33 AM
I have a little under 2,000 miles on mine. I agree with kkirt1, the motor definitely has more pull than the old one and appears to achieve better mpg too. Best of all is the lack of slap. It has been getting cold here recently, yet I start the truck in the morning and hear nothing but the smooth rumble of the exhaust.

I too was pleased with the result. I was very happy with the truck and the dealership did a fine job with the installation.

Best,

DirkR

1997 F-150 4x4 5.4 S/C ORP http://home.att.net/~c.p.a./fordtrk.html

Old 11-23-1999, 10:21 AM
My 1st FQR motor is a bad one and i am still
waiting for FQR engine number 2 to arrive,
the current one smokes at start-up, runs really rough at low rpms and sounds like a
diesel and also has the loud popping sounds
at warm-up/cool-down. i have put about 2,000
miles on the engine, all the problems existed
from the beginning and have not gotten any better or any worse in the month a have driven it this way.

------------------
97 F-150,XLT,4X4,Supercab,bright Red,5.4,3.55 LS,LT265/75/16 Bridgestone Dueller A/T tires,Downey SST soft tonneau cover,57,000 miles, FQR MOTOR. and now waiting for another FQR motor to arrive.

Old 11-23-1999, 02:11 PM
ml
So far so good...at 1500 miles... no issues and purring like a kitten!

Old 11-24-1999, 03:02 PM
Have 60 miles on my FQR engine. Seems OK except for "runs really rough at low rpms and can sound like a diesel"

Have appt. at dealer for re-eval of idle, etc.

A crispness in response seems to imply more power - subtle but there.

Old 12-01-1999, 06:14 PM
Well, my motor does seem to have alittle more torque, but I am down on mileage by 1/2 mpg(may not be broke in yet). Anyway, if you slowly rev it to 1300 rpms it runs pretty rough and when idleing I get a humm and vibration that I can feel through the steering wheel and seat. Does anyone have any idea what is causing it and will a reflash of the computer solve it.

Trending Topics

Old 12-01-1999, 06:48 PM
Thumbs up

At 26 000 kilometers they replaced the 4.6 in mine. 50 000, kilometers now and it is much better than the first. Feels like this new one has more grunt, and now that the race season is over, I have checked the towing mileage(3000lb car 1400 trailer) and it is up
2 mpg average. Sorry did not keep mileage for none towing. I am very happy with it
should say its a 98 XLT EXT, 4x4

[This message has been edited by Bracketracer (edited 12-01-1999).]

Old 12-02-1999, 12:20 AM
Recieved call yesterday that FQR motor #2 is in and the install process will begin again
tomorrow, i have no high expectations of the outcome of this attempt, maybe i will be pleasantly surprised, it is a small dealership and i had gotten to know a lot of the people anyway but through this nearly
everyone at the dealership knows me by name
and are aware of my good luck with this process,most are surprised that i am able to smile through all of this, i too am surprised at times. they are doing everthing they can
do it is not the dealerships fault that ford
was/is making some bad engines. I still think
Ford makes the best trucks overall but is that a testament to how good ford is or how bad the rest of them are,i am starting to wonder.

------------------
97 F-150,XLT,4X4,Supercab,bright Red,5.4,3.55 LS,LT265/75/16 Bridgestone Dueller A/T tires,Downey SST soft tonneau cover,57,000 miles, FQR MOTOR. and now waiting for another FQR motor to arrive.

Old 12-02-1999, 09:09 AM
ford-tough1 - the rough idle and vibration
was the intial thing i noticed when i got my
first FQR motor that is what i took it back for, it
was the dealership that noticed it had a nice
puff of smoke when i started it when i went to leave the dealership, they also agreed that the engine sounded like a quiet diesel. so they had the truck back for a week to trouble shoot and finally ordered another engine, although yesterday it was the dealership turn to make a mistake, i got there just after they gave away the last loaner car, i am sure if i would have raised a stink i would have been driving something
but they have been really good through this so i rescheduled for Monday, the fun continues.

------------------

Old 12-02-1999, 03:53 PM
I haven't noticed any smoke. When I rev it up even to about 600 or 700 rpms it is just as smooth as can be. Besides the miss at 1300 rpms it is smooth and quiet,and the more I drive it the stronger it seems compared to the original motor. If it didn't vibrate I would be fine with the miss because I can't tell it when driving.

Old 12-02-1999, 08:18 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question

It sounds like a few of you seem to be suffering from vibrating FQR engines.

My 98 from day one use to vibrate...even the center arm rest would slightly shake at an idle. Is this similar to what your are experiencing? My dealer said that was normal...so I did not think much of it. For me, it was not bad at all.

However, I noticed right away driving my 2000 that there is no vibration at all...big difference from the 98 I traded in.

---------------------------------------------
2000 F-150 XLT, 4x2, 5.4L Supercab, Styleside, Black with silver two-tone, 3.55, class III towing package with heavy duty cooling package, overhead console, sliding rear window, keyless entry, dark graphite interior, in dash CD, Pendaliner bedliner, K&N air filter, cabin filtration system, Bugflector II, engine build 10/4/99

Old 12-02-1999, 11:36 PM
My "Ford Quality Renewal" engine idled very rough at first. Sounded like a quite desiel and there WAS smoke out the back. But now at 360 miles it seems to be smoothing out. Almost took it in for this and had to cancel since it seems like it has smoothed out. Will look/listen/feel again in the AM to be sure. But 'knock on wood venier' it may be breaking in. The additional power was hard to discern at first, but after more driving - its definitely there - certainly more torque.

Old 12-02-1999, 11:59 PM
I didn't mention that mine has about 2,000 miles on it. I changed oil with 600 miles.

Old 12-05-1999, 12:52 AM
Well, I thought mine was mellowing out, but I can still hear that 'quiet desiel', feel some rough idle and see occasional smoke. Seems intermittant, somethings smooth as silk.

Has anyone gotten resolution on these things?

Guess I have to take it in after all.

I hate to battle for a second engine. Kcdan was lucky his dealer was quick to spot this.

Quick Reply: FQR updates