SUPERCHARGER CHOICE.

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-1999, 01:21 PM
cm
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

I've always been partial to Vortech. They've been in the business for quite a while, and have a great track record. Not to mention the fact that they're nice and loud. If I drop $4k on a blower, people damn well better know I have it when I drive by. That whistle will make any car (or truck) guy drool with envy.

------------------
-cm

Old 12-10-1999, 02:10 PM
C U L8R:

I just finished installing the Powerdyne SVO supercharger, but I picked it mainly because of it's low cost ($1995 shipped to my door). It does a good job once you hit the boost at about 3000 RPM or so, but there's a little lag waiting for the boost to hit (not bad on my 5.4 liter because it was pretty strong anyway from 1000-3000 RPM).

If the money was not an obstacle, I probably would have gone with either the Eaton (roots style), or the Kenne Bell (twin screw) supercharger because either of them deliver all of their boost a lot earlier than the centrifical blowers (from what I've heard at least). In fact, I ALMOST bought the Kenne Bell, but just couldn't justify almost double the price ($3650).

I DO think that the low end power delivery would be better suited to low reving truck engines, but I went with the Powerdyne (centrifical) blower anyway, because I just couldn't pass up the bang for the buck...

------------------
Truck
1997 F150 Lariat, Supercab, Shortbed, 4x4, Black w/Gray Leather, 5.4 liter, 3:55 ls, 4 speed auto.

Mods:
Powerdyne SVO Supercharger. Dynomax Catback Exhaust. Rancho RSX 5000 shocks. Custom Superchip. Century 'Cargo Cover' (Hard Tonneau)

[This message has been edited by YamaHauler (edited 12-10-1999).]

Old 12-10-1999, 02:13 PM
If you talking about the 4000.00 mark.
The way to go is buy a brand new complete 5.4 Lightning motor complete with the Eaton supercharger, all you need is a new wiring harness and computer. Another 2000.00 will get you a Lightning transmission. All this is available from this one Minn. Ford dealer.
Check out the Lightning section, members are already buying them for spare engine.
I'm waiting for the go ahead signal from you know who. But that's the way to do it.

------------------
1997 XLT Supercab emerald green,4.6 auto superchip, MSD 8.5 wires and Bosch plat4 plugs, rear dual exhaust, Atlas wheels w HP 275/60/17 tires, P/F Z pads, Lund steps and quarter window shades, Outland grille guard w KC daylighters (for sale cheap), piaa 1000 in bumpers openings, Trenz billet grille, edlebrock ISA shocks, Powerslider, stainless steel fender trim, Fluidyne tranny cooler, Airaid kit, Gentex electronic compass dimming mirror,Downey SST tonneau cover(for sale cheap),A.R.E. lid, Steeda sway bar(at least it doesn't make noises like the Hellwig), newly installed B&M cast aluminum xtra 3 qt tranny pan, Firestone Sport-Rite airbags system with remote pressure gauge mounted on Autometer dual pod with Autometer tranny temp gauge. Just installed Ground Force 2/4 kit.

Old 12-10-1999, 02:39 PM
cm
Question

Do you know which dealer that is? I live in the Minneapolis area...

------------------
-cm

Old 12-10-1999, 04:03 PM
Neal had a good choice. The Kenne Bell "Blowzilla"!

Old 12-10-1999, 06:14 PM
i actually thought about the kenne bell roots sc. but my speed shop ( where i get the difficult things done ) said they didn't like those units. they have had better results with the vortechs.
MIF 150 - that is an interesting idea but after buying a $6000 engine how much would it cost to swap? i definately cant dothat myself!
my budget for this project is around $4000. but i have to do it before my girlfriend moves in
do you guys know of any side by side comparisons either on a dyno or on the 1/4 mile track for the charger with the best, quickest results?
Thanks all for your comments.

------------------
1997 F150 flareside ; Belltech lowered 3" front, 4" rear ,KYB shocks, Gibson Supertruck exhaust, JBA Headers, TransGo shift kit, Superchip (thanks Mike),Airaid FPIK, Ford Expedition center console, White guages. Soon to be 4:10 gears , Vortech supercharger and lightning rims ( if they can ever be available!)

Old 12-10-1999, 07:05 PM
Sorry, try this link.

www.allenengine.com

C U L8R- I have important information for you BEFORE you buy a supercharger. E-mail me for more details.

------------------
'98 4.6 5-sp F-150
We've come for your Tundra.

http://www.mcmullenargus.com/gallery...ge=1165&pub=12
trixters-playground@excite.com
www.truckinweb.com

[This message has been edited by crash1 (edited 12-11-1999).]

Trending Topics

Old 12-10-1999, 08:28 PM
Crash1, let me assist you in your link.

http://www.allenengine.com/blowerpge.html

------------------
99' F-150 XLT SC 4X4 ORP LS 4.6L K&N Air Filter Air Box Mod (3" intake from fender & silencer removed), Superchip, A.R.E. Cover, Duraliner bed liner, Rapidflow 3" single CatBack exhaust.

Old 12-10-1999, 09:20 PM
The lightning engines came out of missouri i think. I am in minnesota and got 2 of them if anybody wants one let me know i have no particular reason for buying two. They got here on wednesday and are real neat. Brian
Email me grothimp@cannon.net

Old 12-10-1999, 11:05 PM
There you go guys, bggroth got your answer there.
C U L8R, you are looking at 360 ponies and one mean sleeper with no Lightning badge.
Huh, you mean girlfriend comes first? heh,heh (just kidding). I see it this way, you are almost getting a free 5.4 motor when you get it from this MO dealer since a supercharger alone is over 3000.00 anyway. If I were you I rather buy the 4000.00 motor
with the blower and store it till I get enough dough then do the whole process all at one time. That is what I'm going to do with mine. Store it till I run my 4.6 to the ground then pop the Lightning motor in. And save every penny you got while in storage and you should be OK when it time to pop it in.
crash 1, the allen engine supercharger is over 3500.00 I see on their website. Don't you think an extra 500.00 is worth it to get the 5.4 motor and the Eaton charger?

------------------
1997 XLT Supercab emerald green,4.6 auto superchip, MSD 8.5 wires and Bosch plat4 plugs, rear dual exhaust, Atlas wheels w HP 275/60/17 tires, P/F Z pads, Lund steps and quarter window shades, Outland grille guard w KC daylighters (for sale cheap), piaa 1000 in bumpers openings, Trenz billet grille, edlebrock ISA shocks, Powerslider, stainless steel fender trim, Fluidyne tranny cooler, Airaid kit, Gentex electronic compass dimming mirror,Downey SST tonneau cover(for sale cheap),A.R.E. lid, Steeda sway bar(at least it doesn't make noises like the Hellwig), newly installed B&M cast aluminum xtra 3 qt tranny pan, Firestone Sport-Rite airbags system with remote pressure gauge mounted on Autometer dual pod with Autometer tranny temp gauge. Just installed Ground Force 2/4 kit.

[This message has been edited by MIF-150 (edited 12-10-1999).]

Old 12-11-1999, 12:28 AM
Yeah, I caught that...

A little too late, I see. Thanks.

Hey, I replied to your post too, Big Red.
Drop me a line.

MIF- Uh, YEAH!!! Are any of the accessories included? Heat exchanger? Ducts? Reservoir?

------------------
'98 4.6 5-sp F-150
We've come for your Tundra.

http://www.mcmullenargus.com/gallery...ge=1165&pub=12
trixters-playground@excite.com
www.truckinweb.com

[This message has been edited by crash1 (edited 12-11-1999).]

Old 12-11-1999, 12:43 AM
cm
Question

bggroth--

Where in Minnesota do you live? I live in Eagan, a suburb of the St. Paul. I'd love to check out a Lightning sometime... I've only ever even seen 1 of them on the street, but it wasn't up close.

------------------
-cm

Old 12-11-1999, 12:59 AM
Post SUPERCHARGER CHOICE.

Hey all, i have finally saved up enough money for a supercharger and was wondering which ones were the better ones. from my own limited research i have narrowed it down to Vortech, Wynjammer and ATI procharger ( out soon). i would really appreciate ANY feedback about these models or any other that you guys would recommend. i am in washington d.c. and unfortunetly there are V E R Y few doing this stuff, on the street i pick on mustangs mostly because there are no trucks around. thanks in advance - take care

Old 12-11-1999, 07:14 PM
CM,
I live in wanamingo, about 30 miles south of you. The lightning is stored for the winter in a heated hanger in faribault. Had it parked since oct 1st. and a guy from chaska who has a 2000 lightning on order called and wanted to see it. So we just had to take it out for a ride today, it was nice to drive it again. brian

------------------
99 red lightening,psp filter kit
2-2000 arctic cat zr440 snopro's
built 5-26-99, #1610
2000 super duty v10

Old 12-11-1999, 10:13 PM
cm
Thumbs up

That's cool man... do you ever cruise around University Ave. in the cities on Friday and Saturday nights in the summer? There's a HUGE collection of hot rods and nice trucks that just roll back and forth all night. I'm sure your lightning would turn some heads, and mine would be one of them!

------------------
-cm

Quick Reply: SUPERCHARGER CHOICE.