FQR Do's and Don'ts?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2000, 09:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question FQR Do's and Don'ts?

I've searched the FQR posts but I still have a question. Am reposting this earlier msg to try and focus replies on my real question - What are the "Lessons Learned" from the FQR-ers out there. I'd really appreciate some insight as to what experiences people have had with dealer engine replacement - good and bad - that would help make mine less painful. If you had to do it over again (heaven forbid), what would you do differently? Did you have any new problems that were caused by the tech doing the R&R of the engine? Would you get the factory rep involved? Etc etc...

(Original post) After four times in my dealer's service dept for lifter (lash adjuster) replacement due to noise, oil leaks from the valve cover (due to the ealier work on the lifters),and now a rod knock, my dealer has thrown in the towel and agreed to replace my Romeo 4.6 engine with only 4K miles on it. I've asked for them to get a "fully dressed" engine, e.g. everything bolted on at the factory and hot-tested. My concern here is that my dealer (Gary Smith Ford in Ft Walton Beach FL) can't seem to do much of anything right with this engine and the fewer nuts and bolts he has to turn, the more comfortable I am. My next nearest dealer is an hour and a half drive so I'm pretty limited in my choices in dealers.

Anyways, for those of you that have gone through this procedure with an FQR engine or otherwise, my question is this : What should I look for when the dealer does this work? Anybody had any problems that I should watch for? I appreciate the help guys. I just can't stand the thought of my truck undergoing open heart surgery, but that's just the way it is....

//JQ

[This message has been edited by Johnnyquest (edited 01-10-2000).]

Old 01-11-2000, 07:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Johnnyquest,

Yeah, after the second FQR 5.4 replacement just completed, INSIST on the most experienced shop tech (mechanic) they have!
Not sure where you 4.6 will come from, but my second 5.4 FQR is smooth as a top. Knock on wood.

I did not have to get the regional rep involved at all. My dealer (not where I brought it from) was understanding.

Quick Reply: FQR Do's and Don'ts?