I got a couple questions for 5.4 3v owners!

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2017, 04:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I got a couple questions for 5.4 3v owners!

I recently bought a 2004 FX4 Supercrew with the 5.4 3v motor. I bought this truck because I needed something I can take in and out of the deer woods, get to my hunting spots for duck season, and because I wanted a vehicle for me a my wife for when the weather gets bad here in Oklahoma. We all know what we have heard about the 5.4 motor. This truck has already had the cam, phasers, and chains replaced 1500 miles ago and he provided all the paperwork for the parts and installation of them. I'll provide a picture of the truck below.
As you can see the truck is leveled and has a set of 33x12.50 size tires on it. Now that we got all that out of the way I have some questions for owners of the 5.4 3v. The only performance modifications done to this truck is a Banks exhaust system, and a AirRaid cold air intake. One thing I'm wanting to know is what are some other good modifications that I can do to give this truck a little bit more power. I'm not looking to make this truck fast or anything like that. I just want it to be a solid powerful truck. Would you recommend longtube headers and a off road y-pipe? Would you recommend upgrading the throttle body? Would you recommend changing the gear ratio in the rear end to something like a 4.10 or more? Would you recommend a tune? I'm just looking to see what are some solid modifications that you may have done or know about that actually would give the truck a noticeable increase in power. I would also like to know some of the non horsepower increasing modifications that you would recommend to increase the overall reliability of the truck. Any tips or information would be greatly appreciated! This is my first post on the f150 forums so I look forward to hearing feedback from all my f150 guys around the world! Thanks!

Old 11-09-2017, 08:02 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
Could it possibly have s tune already? With those mods. I would be surprised if it didn't. A tune would be the single best mod for more power.

Old 11-09-2017, 09:27 PM
glc
Received 759 Likes on 703 Posts
Both tunes and gears. If it has 3.55's, put 4.10's in it, if it's got 3.73's leave them alone or put 4.56's in it. Both axles. Leave the intake and exhaust alone.

Change the oil every 3k with Motorcraft 5W20 and a Motorcraft filter. Find out how many miles on the spark plugs, if more than 50k change them.