2007 Harley Davidson F150 Coolant Temp Sensor Location?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2017, 02:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 Harley Davidson F150 Coolant Temp Sensor Location?

Hello all, can anybody tell me where the coolant temperature sensor is located on a 2007 Harley Davidson F150 with a 5.4 V8? I was told it was located in the same location as the following video:
but it is not. Thanks

Old 11-09-2017, 03:12 PM
glc
Received 759 Likes on 703 Posts
The video is for a 2 valve engine, You have a 3 valve.

You have both a cylinder head temp sensor and a coolant temp sensor. One is for the gauge and the other is for the ECM.

https://www.tascaparts.com/oem-parts...sor-9l8z6g004c

https://www.tascaparts.com/oem-parts...r-4l3z12a648ab

Old 11-09-2017, 04:40 PM
Originally Posted by glc
The video is for a 2 valve engine, You have a 3 valve.

You have both a cylinder head temp sensor and a coolant temp sensor. One is for the gauge and the other is for the ECM.

https://www.tascaparts.com/oem-parts...sor-9l8z6g004c

https://www.tascaparts.com/oem-parts...r-4l3z12a648ab
The cylinder head temp sensor has been replaced. Do you know where the coolant temp sensor is located? That looks exactly like the one I bought.

Old 11-09-2017, 09:31 PM
glc
I do not know where it is, but if it looks like the picture you bought the right one.

Old 11-09-2017, 09:50 PM
Received 104 Likes on 97 Posts
He only has one sensor, the CHT sensor. There is no second coolant temp sensor, that's why he can't find it.

The gauge in the instrument cluster is driven by data from the PCM from the CHT.

Excerpt from maintenance manual for his engine.
Temperature Gauge

The PCM receives the engine coolant temperature status through hardwired circuitry to the cylinder head temperature (CHT) sensor. The instrument cluster receives the engine coolant temperature data from the PCM over the communication network. The instrument cluster monitors the engine coolant temperature data received from the PCM and provides the temperature gauge indication with a corresponding movement of the pointer. If the instrument cluster receives no signal the temperature gauge defaults to the COLD position.

Old 11-09-2017, 10:17 PM
Originally Posted by projectSHO89
He only has one sensor, the CHT sensor. There is no second coolant temp sensor, that's why he can't find it.

The gauge in the instrument cluster is driven by data from the PCM from the CHT.

Excerpt from maintenance manual for his engine.
Interesting. The truck started driving strange (as if air fuel mixture was off/fluctuating) about a week ago. So I took it to autozone and they scanned it and came up with these two codes: P1289 and P0119. The P1289 was taken care of with the replacement of the coolant head temp sensor. Any idea as to what the P0119 code is for? The truck is still not running right.

Old 11-09-2017, 11:03 PM
glc
Then why does Tasca and Rock Auto list both sensors? P0119 is for a ECT sensor issue.

Old 11-10-2017, 07:55 AM
Then why does Tasca and Rock Auto list both sensors?
You'd have to ask them why they have incorrect information. I see it all the time. It is necessary to heck the specific service info for the specific vehicle in question and see if you can find an ECT sensor in either the schematics or in the service procedures. IIRC, Ford hasn't used an ECT sensor on the 5.4L truck engines for at least 15 years, maybe more ( I didn't dig into that).

EDIT: Okay, I dug into it. The 1998 model year was the last one that Ford used an ECT sensor to monitor coolant temps on the 5.4L truck engines.

P0119 is for a ECT sensor issue.
See the PCED for expanded information.

The truck started driving strange (as if air fuel mixture was off/fluctuating) about a week ago.
That likely indicates that the PCM had entered its fails-safe cooling mode due to a detected concern via the CHT sensor. Did you also observed the instrument cluster for fault indications when that happened? If so, what were they?

P1289 and P0119
Those two codes are often set in combination and probably have the same root cause. The problem could be the CHT sensor, the wiring harness (intermittent or broken connection), or a PCM concern. See the PCED for diagnostic procedure.

Last edited by projectSHO89; 11-10-2017 at 09:46 AM.
Old 11-10-2017, 01:55 PM
projectSHO89, Yes the gauge was also jumping back and forth a bit when I originally experienced the truck driving strangely.

Old 11-10-2017, 06:22 PM
I'd be looking at the wiring to and from the CHT sensor next, assuming that the replacement CHT is good. I've seen a number of cases where the wire was broken inside the insulation. If the wiring is good, then it's likely an internal problem to the PCM. That said, I would not jump into condemning the PCM without have an experienced technician make that diagnosis based on a hands-on evaluation.

Old 11-10-2017, 08:20 PM
Originally Posted by projectSHO89
I'd be looking at the wiring to and from the CHT sensor next, assuming that the replacement CHT is good. I've seen a number of cases where the wire was broken inside the insulation. If the wiring is good, then it's likely an internal problem to the PCM. That said, I would not jump into condemning the PCM without have an experienced technician make that diagnosis based on a hands-on evaluation.
Thanks. That narrows it down for me.