5.0 V8 oil pan gasket?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2017, 10:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
5.0 V8 oil pan gasket?

Recently this happened... 2013 F150 4wd, 5.0 V8

Leaking engine oil profusely on driveway. (This is the short version, BTW.)

We end up at a certain repair shop and we agree they'll make the repair. They tell me it's the oil pan gasket.

It took them a bit longer than expected - 1.5 days instead of 3/4 day. No problem, I just want it done right.

Anyway they eventually called me and said it was completed. So I go pick it up, (this is last Thursday), and go home. Immediately I could smell oil cooking off. I said, "That's residual, just left over."

Next day, yesterday, I notice some fresh drips in the driveway. Also the persistent smell of oil cooking off, but not nearly as bad as the leak when I took it in.

So the repair job didn't go perfectly. I take it back to the shop, and they agree to have another go at it on Monday. Fair enough.

So... any advice, hazards, anything I need to remind them of, other than the torque specification of 10 ft/lbs for the pan bolts?

What do I need to look for to make sure it's done right?

If the leak persists, at what point do I take it to the dealer and ask them to have a look at it?

Any other free advice? All opinions welcome.

Oh BTW. 104,000 miles. Truck is used for work, pulls a landscaping trailer about twice a week, more in leaf season.

TIA!

Last edited by Bud_Wilkinson; 11-04-2017 at 10:25 PM. Reason: Clarification
Old 11-05-2017, 12:04 AM
glc
Received 761 Likes on 704 Posts
I'd suspect a leak in a different location.