4.6 engine stalls when dash plate is removed

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2000, 10:49 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 4.6 engine stalls when dash plate is removed

I been very curious whenever I remove the middle dash plate(the one surrounding the radio and ac controls)and put it back on, the truck will have problem starting, exactly like running out of gas and needs to pump and hold the pedal down to stop it from dying out. After the first hard start it'll go back to normal. The only thing I see electrical connected when removing the dash face was the passenger airbag switch and light that is connected to the plate. I tried this on my neighbor truck just for curiosity I pulled his dash plate out and it happen to him also and I got cussed out for it but afterward it went back to normal.
I wonder if anyone else has this problem also?

Old 01-10-2000, 10:57 AM
Removed mine numerous times never had that problem.

------------------
'98 F150 4X4 ExtCab Flareside ORP. Current Mods: Billet Grille, K&N Filter, Spray-in Bedliner, 285-75-16 BFG A/T's, Removed 4X4 Stickers, True Dual exh.

Old 01-10-2000, 11:14 AM
I did notice while I was down looking for a switched 12 volt wire the other day that there are several vacuum tubes near the bottom-back of the center console. Is there a chance that those lines are getting tweaked while you're playing with the console (not that I know if this would cause the engine to have problems running... Just something I noticed earlier).

------------------
1997 F150 Lariat, Supercab, Shortbed, 4x4, Black w/Gray Leather, 5.4 liter, 3:55 ls, 4 speed auto.

Mods:
Powerdyne SVO Supercharger. Autometer Boost Guage. Dynomax Catback Exhaust. Rancho RSX 5000 shocks. Custom Superchip. Century 'Cargo Cover' (Hard Tonneau). NR Automotive White Guage Faces

Pictures of my truck

Old 01-10-2000, 01:48 PM
The funny thing is after the first hard startup after putting the face back on.
It's goes back to normal after that. If the vacuum lines is off it will stays hard to start. It's just so weird, I'm thinking it might had something to do with the airbag on and off switch wires. It start fine now and so is my neighbor except a funny look from him since. Thanks to all for the replies.

Quick Reply: 4.6 engine stalls when dash plate is removed