Which is the way to go

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2017, 10:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink Which is the way to go

Thinking of new phasers for the truck, I feel and also gleaned from the forum that ford improved them and on the other hand a large garage owner said to go with dorman he thinks they are the same phasers only a little less, either way I have to put back the funds so it will probley be a few ( 3-4) months any suggestions??? THANKS Dallas also glc Good ideal but no junk yards in my area have the appearance cover for the lincoln so I'm watching e-bay and craigs list but thanks for the get back.

Old 08-01-2017, 09:31 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
There is a load of bad press out there on Dorman Phasers - failing shortly and even never correcting cam phaser codes at all.

My only personal experience is with OEM Phasers on my '04, but I am 'tickled pink' 14,000 miles after replacement.

Just do your homework, and good luck

Old 08-01-2017, 02:31 PM
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
If I had a 5.4 3 valve and it needed both cam phasers replaced, my next call would be to Comp Cams and chat with them about new cams and the phaser delete. Why invest that much money into an engine and then have a plain ol' 5.4 that could easily end up with cam phaser issues again? Comp Cams have performance cams available that will work with the current PCM with no special programming or tuner required. So you are aware, you'll lose a little low end torque but gains from mid range to high range. Comp can give the exact specs and cost.
http://www.compperformancegroupstore...y_Code=FRD3VCK

Old 08-01-2017, 07:17 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Labnerd
If I had a 5.4 3 valve and it needed both cam phasers replaced, my next call would be to Comp Cams and chat with them about new cams and the phaser delete.

Now there is an interesting concept. The link shows performance cams at around $638.00 apiece. Then there's the phaser delete = ????. And all this is supposed to work on a PCM that employs positive feedback cam retard --- without a tune or special programming????

I'll have to recommend the OP continue his research. A pair of OEM phasers can be had for around $450.00, and can easily last 200,000 mi with decent maintenance.

Old 08-01-2017, 08:42 PM
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
performance cams at around $638.00 apiece.
Uh, no. The price is for 2 cams, one for each side. You can't seriously think they'd sell you a performance cam for just one side. The cam phaser delete is another 200 bucks round numbers. Yes, it works with the current PCM programming and protocols. No need for any transmission adjustments like a new stall speed converter. This will work for a stock ignition system. This is a performance cam, NOT a racing cam setup. The idle will be a hair choppy but not bad enough to interfere with any A/C or shake the truck to death. If you decide to put an exhaust system on, this will make it really sound fabulous. Once you've chatted with the Comp folks, there are Utube vids of the various cams and what they sound like.

FWIW, you need to be replacing the chain and tensioners as well. I can assure you they will be worn.