Replace Water Pump as Preventative Maintenance

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2017, 09:24 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Replace Water Pump as Preventative Maintenance

So I'm getting ready to get a new radiator that's bad due to known electrolysis. I'm going to treat that condition as best as possible. I can't find it, I seem to recall some threads about water pumps with deteriorated fins in the pump. Got me to wondering if it's worth replacing the pump just for the heck of it? Motorcraft pump on RockAuto is only $75 and they go way down in price from there. No cooling problems at all, just thought it might be worth it to swap out these components due to the condition. I already know I'll be living with replacing the radiator every 5-8 years or so. Oh well! You guys think it's worth the pump?

Old 04-25-2017, 11:21 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
If you are that deep into it already and it's the OEM pump, why not? If your rad is going bad that quick and you suspect electrolysis, I'd do it..

My old 97 had the stock rad and pump for all of it's 255,000 miles and 16 + years before I traded it, and it was just fine when I traded it..

Good luck!

Mitch

Old 04-26-2017, 11:02 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes, change the pump while it is open. Also, add a zinc electrode to your cooling system.