Oil (Idiot) Gauge

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-1999, 07:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down

My son's 97 Ranger has an idiot gauge too. It remains at 1/2 regardless of engine speed. I wonder if all Ford's oil pressure gauges are the same. I am one pissed off individual about this deception. I think the charging system gauge is baloney also.

------------------
99 F150 XLT Supercab Towing Package 5.4L Auto Two Tone Med Toreador Red/ Silver Power windows, locks, mirrors, driver's seat. Cruise, tilt wheel Alloys, Michelins, ARE topper Superchip / 2000 Chevy Silverado Ext cab 5.3, auto, Tow package, tilt, cruise, power windows,locks,side mirrors, alloy wheels.

Old 12-27-1999, 08:12 PM
my '97 F150 4x4 had the idiot gauge. I think my '99 Lightning is a dumb one too.

Old 01-07-2000, 12:19 AM
Hey guys, What's the issue here? For daily driver type use, the only thing you need to know is that the oil pressure falls with-in an acceptable parameter to maintain proper lubrication, What would you use the specific pressure numbers for anyway? do you just like to watch guages vary? Sure those numbers will change as the internal clearances open up from wear, but thats going to be after many many many miles, A go, no-go, red light will get your attention much faster than a tiny little needle. If you look inside most serious raceing vehicles, you will find in addition to the guage, a very big red oil pressure idiot light that can be seen from the corner of your eye rather than taking your eyes off the track. I don't think (and niether does Ford) that your "idiot guage" is in anyway a compromise.

I would feel better tho' with an idiot light as opposed to an idiot guage, your gonna see it much sooner.

[This message has been edited by hotratz (edited 01-07-2000).]

Old 01-07-2000, 11:07 AM
Exclamation

There is no way to make the oil gauge functional on the 97 and beyonf F150/Expy/Navigator cluster. Even if you replace the oil pressure switch with an oil pressure sender, there is a chip in the cluster that forces the needle to the "normal" or the failure settings. Can't get around it, sorry.

As for the charging needle, it is fully functional. If you want to find out, turn your key on but don't start the engine. Crank your a/c, lights, and radio for a while and you will see the needle start to drop as the battery runs down.

Old 01-07-2000, 03:27 PM
Somebody asked why we'd need a functional oil pressure gauge. Well, for many years, I used the oil pressure gauge as an indicator of when the oil was hot enough for me to stop babying the throttle. When you first start the engine, oil pressure is above normal. As you drive, the oil pressure drops to normal. This happens AFTER the coolant temperature hits normal range.

btw, how many of you constantly monitor your oil pressure gauge or idiot light? Personally, I don't have time to constantly monitor it. On many boats, the loss of pressure or high engine temps is coupled to an audible alarm system. Automobiles should have this feature. It would save a lot of engines. There is no way you should be monitoring gauges and lights. Instead, you should be watching what's going on around you on the road!

The few times I had engine problems (prior to owning F series trucks), the only times I noticed there was a problem was when I lost power when an engine overheated due to loss of coolant and valve clatter when an engine lost oil pressure due to low oil level.

Old 01-07-2000, 07:58 PM
Remind me to never bring up the fuel gauge...ooops. lol

I feel the symmetrical design allows me to see a drop rather easily. All of this came about because everyone has a different idea of what NORMAL range means.

I think an audible alert is an excellent idea, as long as it went off BEFORE you drop below 10psi or less...

------------------
'98 4.6 5-sp F-150
We've come for your Tundra.

Where we started.
http://www.mcmullenargus.com/gallery...ge=1165&pub=12
After a facelift.
http://www.zing.com/picture/ff/e9/b5...d.jpg.orig.jpg
trixters-playground@excite.com
www.truckinweb.com

[This message has been edited by crash1 (edited 01-07-2000).]

Old 01-26-2010, 04:18 PM
1986 F 150 oil indicator

Very disturbing. Two years ago after a 50 mile drive, oil needle fell below L and engine light came on. No indication of engine overheating when I checked under the hood. Heat indicator was reading normal. The needle continued to fall unless I was in 2nd (standard) and pulling up a hill. Of late the needle drops and the engine light comes on as soon as I start the engine. Yet the engine sounds good and runs well. I've been told so many stories by mechanics I don't know what to believe. (something women have to put up with). Changing the oil has made no difference.

Old 01-26-2010, 04:23 PM
Congratulations on reviving a 10 year old thread! I think that's a record!

It also might help if you told us more about what you're driving...

- NCSU

Last edited by NCSU_05_FX4; 01-27-2010 at 11:32 AM.
Old 01-27-2010, 09:20 AM
NCSU if you are addressing your question to me Takelababy, I'm driving an 8 cylinder, standard transmission, don't know engine size but bigger than 302, pickup.

Old 01-27-2010, 11:32 AM
Originally Posted by Takelababy
NCSU if you are addressing your question to me Takelababy, I'm driving an 8 cylinder, standard transmission, don't know engine size but bigger than 302, pickup.
Considering you were only person here to post in 10 years, yes, I was talking to you.

You don't use forums much do you?

- NCSU

Old 01-28-2010, 09:19 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
The oil gauge on an '86 isn't connected to the engine light in any way, so diagnose them separately. The quickest diagnosis for ANY factory oil gauge (regardless of year; regardless of whether or not it's real) is to temporarily install a cheapo mechanical oil pressure gauge. It doesn't need to be in the dash - just leave it under the hood if you're checking it in P, or route its hose out the back of the hood & tuck the gauge under a wiper so you can watch it while driving.

This is the TSB about '87-96 gauges, and its caption contains links that show how to convert them to actually work.

For '97-up trucks, you can install an older gauge body in the new cluster & then connect it to a real sender. The temperature & fuel gauge bodies are identical & don't contain a resistor.

All volt gauges are real. So are older amp gauges, but they don't show anything most of the time.

Old 02-01-2010, 10:11 AM
NCSU - No, I'd never been into the forums until I was seeking help. Now I have another issue. Truck, after being parked an hour, wouldn't turn over, like it was starved for gas. Two hours later it started immediately and drove home (highway speeds for a few miles). Drove it around farm yard for a week, no problem, then two days ago it wouldn't turn over even after trying a few hours later, even with a boost. (the guy is a mechanic.) I'm getting told fuel pump, brain box. There is spark and the oil is fine. Can either be tested?
Steve, the engine light came on only when the guage need fell below L. I watched it pretty closely to see just when it came on and always and only then. Rev the engine and the guage would come off L and the engine light would go off.

Last edited by Takelababy; 02-01-2010 at 10:19 AM.
Old 02-01-2010, 10:44 AM
Old 02-01-2010, 11:03 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Takelababy
NCSU - No, I'd never been into the forums until I was seeking help. Now I have another issue. Truck, after being parked an hour, wouldn't turn over, like it was starved for gas. Two hours later it started immediately and drove home (highway speeds for a few miles). Drove it around farm yard for a week, no problem, then two days ago it wouldn't turn over even after trying a few hours later, even with a boost. (the guy is a mechanic.) I'm getting told fuel pump, brain box. There is spark and the oil is fine. Can either be tested?
Steve, the engine light came on only when the guage need fell below L. I watched it pretty closely to see just when it came on and always and only then. Rev the engine and the guage would come off L and the engine light would go off.
It wont turn over or it turns over but will not start. Your saying it wont turn over but then describe symtoms of turn over but will not start. If its turn ove but will not start first thing to do is a fuel pressure test. If you havent replaced the fuel filter ever might just do that..

Old 02-08-2010, 08:27 AM
I don't know where to find the fuel filter. I don't know if the mechanic even checked that. He removed the air hose from the filter box but it made no diff. You're right, it was turning over but not starting. Then two days ago it started immediately. I'm afraid to drive it to town as there is over a mile of country road with forest alongside and plenty of wolf tracks on the road. And they are big!

Quick Reply: Oil (Idiot) Gauge