Fuel pumps right back through return line

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2016, 03:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok I tried the starting fluid by spraying it in the intake, and it didnt start. I am about ready to call a mechanic.
Going to get a fuel pressure gauge tomorrow and post results.

Old 10-19-2016, 01:59 AM
Originally Posted by Steve W
Ok I tried the starting fluid by spraying it in the intake, and it didnt start. I am about ready to call a mechanic.
Going to get a fuel pressure gauge tomorrow and post results.
just wonderin, because I bought a cheap pump,, do you guys think the pump i bought is bad?

Old 10-19-2016, 07:20 AM
Originally Posted by Steve W
just wonderin, because I bought a cheap pump,, do you guys think the pump i bought is bad?
You didn't say weather or not it popped or sputtered? I used that method on a truck that had quit running, we thought the pump went bad. Sure enough, with a spray of ether right in the TBI it would start and run for a second or two.

Spraying starting fluid (ether) right in the Throttle Body is replacing the gasoline that should be coming from the injectors. If you do not get at least a pop or sputter you aren't getting any or enough spark. You should re-verify you do have spark, check the fuses first sometimes it's the simple things. Verify voltage at the coil with a voltmeter, etc.

That said if you got no sputter I can't say weather it's a bad pump, that pressure gauge will verify good or bad pump

Old 10-19-2016, 10:31 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
You can also flow test the pump to decide it's worthiness

Old 10-19-2016, 05:43 PM
Originally Posted by 1972-2003f150
You didn't say weather or not it popped or sputtered? I used that method on a truck that had quit running, we thought the pump went bad. Sure enough, with a spray of ether right in the TBI it would start and run for a second or two.

Spraying starting fluid (ether) right in the Throttle Body is replacing the gasoline that should be coming from the injectors. If you do not get at least a pop or sputter you aren't getting any or enough spark. You should re-verify you do have spark, check the fuses first sometimes it's the simple things. Verify voltage at the coil with a voltmeter, etc.

That said if you got no sputter I can't say weather it's a bad pump, that pressure gauge will verify good or bad pump
thanks, yeah It didnt pop or anything with the starting fluid, but it does fire up for a second every morning. It had just started for a second, then sprayed it with ether, and no go. The plugs were wet when I pulled em and i changed them all. I tested a few of them for spark and they were firing.

So today I got the pressure test kit and wouldnt you know it, I cant get that to work either. I put it on the rail, pinched the return line, and it shows nothing. Nothing comes out of the bleeder either. When I unhook it I take another bath in fuel spray, yet again.

Im beginning to think this thing is cursed.

Old 10-19-2016, 05:52 PM
Also I have come to the conclusion that my new regulator must be bad too, as it will hold pressure with the return line pinched. So thats going back. Hopefully that resolves my issue, so for now I am just going to have to wait I suppose.

Old 10-19-2016, 10:19 PM
There was another poster who borrowed two or three pressure gauges from his parts store because the first or second didn't work. So it isn't impossible to believe that if they loaned you a used tool that the last guy f'd it up. Patman suggested a flow test, you said you had the box off for easier access right? If you could disconnect the supply line to the engine and connect some extra fuel line to the pump output into a 5 gallon gas can and time how long it takes to fill it when you power the pump up.

Last edited by 1972-2003f150; 10-19-2016 at 10:20 PM. Reason: clarify my answer
Old 10-19-2016, 10:36 PM
There was another poster who borrowed two or three pressure gauges from his parts store because the first or second didn't work. So it isn't impossible to believe that if they loaned you a used tool that the last guy f'd it up. Patman suggested a flow test, you said you had the box off for easier access right? If you could disconnect the supply line to the engine and connect some extra fuel line to the pump output into a 5 gallon gas can and time how long it takes to fill it when you power the pump up.
ah yes that shouldnt be very difficult actually. I will do that tomorrow and post results.

Old 10-19-2016, 10:53 PM
I'm not sure what the flow rate should be, but I bet Patman or someone else can give us that info. Some math after you have your numbers will give us a ballpark idea of gallons per hour. or whatever increment is required

Old 10-19-2016, 10:56 PM
I'm not sure what the flow rate should be, but I bet Patman or someone else can give us that info. Some math after you have your numbers will give us a ballpark idea of gallons per hour. or whatever increment is required
ok great, I just put 10 gallons in it thankfully, so I can time how long it takes to fill a 5 gallon jug and post it tomorrow. Thanks again.

Old 10-21-2016, 02:44 PM
Well, unfortunately its been raining on and off so I havent had the chance to flow test it yet.

I did get a new regulator, and it made no difference. The same thing happens when I turn the pump on, you can hear all of the fuel it pumps whoosh right through the rail, past the regulator, and right back through the return line.

I called Ford and the guy told me to stop getting regulators from Autozone, as they may have a bad batch of them. So I called Napa and they have a different brand, so gonna try that tomorrow when they get it in.

I took back the faulty pressure test kit to Autozone and they said they didnt have another one, so looks like Im out of luck on that front for now. It may neccessitate a trip to the bar to ask around, and for my mental health.

Old 10-22-2016, 12:23 PM
Today I tried the Napa fuel regulator, and no changes. It will not hold pressure, and just shoots it all back down the return line. It still holds pressure if I pinch off the return line.

Old 10-22-2016, 06:23 PM
glc
Received 766 Likes on 708 Posts
This is with the engine not running, just the key is on? I don't see what could cause that except the regulator.

Old 10-22-2016, 07:27 PM
Originally Posted by glc
This is with the engine not running, just the key is on? I don't see what could cause that except the regulator.
thats right, I still have the OBD computer tester, and have been doing the Key On Engine Off test to run the fuel pump, and listening to it just run back through the return line. This is fuel pressure regulator #4, counting the original one. Something has to be wrong with the mounting points of it. I will make a video of it tomorrow for you guys, it may be of some help.

Old 10-22-2016, 09:50 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
Motorcraft unit?

Quick Reply: Fuel pumps right back through return line