Piston Slap Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2000, 01:07 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Piston Slap Question

First, forgive me for beating this topic to death. I've been reading the past threads on this topic for the last hour or so, but I didn't see any recent posts that addressed my specific concerns.

I have just put some money down towards buying a used 1997 F150 with the 5.4L V8. Imagine my shock when I puruse this board and learn about this piston slap problem with the 5.4L.

I guess I have three questions for this august body. (Forgive the numbered list approach here.)

1. The truck has 48k miles on it. Is it possible for me (the third owner) to get an extended warranty that will protect me if the piston slap shows up?

2. Will Ford replace out-of-warranty 5.4L's with piston slap?

3. Is this problem such that I should blow off my $110 and kick myself for being too ignorant to learn absolutely everything about this truck (but smart enough not to get hosed by a major problem)?

Thanks for your answers and advice.

wraith

(possible owner of 97 F150 XLT Extended Cab 4X4 with 5.4L)

Old 01-02-2000, 01:20 AM
Smile

Reading posts on these boards will scare the hell out of any normal person. Remember, however, that we are all a bunch of either of two types of owners: 1) ****-retentive, or 2) own a problem truck

Don't forget that the F-150 is the top selling VEHICLE in the U.S. (bar none), and there are a zillion good ones out there.

I had a '97 that had 42K when I traded it -- and it was a perfect truck.

From the threads (I assume you found the master 5.4 piston slap threads), it appears that slap occurs early in life -- so if your prospective truck is slap-free, you probably can expect another 150K without incident.

The only thing I gather from the posts here is that it appears that some LEASED 4x4's get the tar run out of them.

The owner of my 'old' 1997 truck (which didn't stay on the dealer's lot for 2 days) got a great truck -- and I hope you are in store for a similar deal.

Good luck.

Jim

------------------
"00" XLT SC 5.4 7700 4x4 SB repeat buyer

Old 01-02-2000, 01:31 AM
Thumbs up

Thanks for the quick response.

My father and I are going to go back out to the truck tomorrow and see if it exhibits the problem (armed with the knowledge of what to look for).

You've put some of my fears to rest.

Thanks,

Jeremy

Old 01-03-2000, 12:23 AM
From what i've read, I don't think it will affect engine life or performance anyway. See if it has door cracks yet. The right warranty could get you two new doors or even better, an effective repair some day!! I'm certainly no expert, but I'd be more concerned about the cracks.

------------------
White 97 XLT SC 4.6, 4X4, 3.55ls, tow pkg, long bed, Rhino liner, Owens running boards

Old 01-03-2000, 12:31 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had a 98 5.4L F-150 supercab and put almost 20,000 miles on it..piston slap free.

Like MOVEOVER said..check for DOOR CRACKS, look on the roof for the cracks in the water channel, and if it has a slidding rear window...make sure to see if it has been leaking.

My 98 did have the roof crack problem..but NO door cracks or leaking rear window.

Good luck..and make sure the owners manual is in the glove box before you leave!!

--------------------------------------------
2000 F-150 XLT, 4x2, 5.4L Supercab, Styleside, Black with silver two-tone, 3.55, class III towing package with heavy duty cooling package, overhead console, sliding rear window, keyless entry, dark graphite interior, in dash CD, Pendaliner bedliner, K&N air filter, rubberized undercoating, cabin filtration system, Bugflector II, 5W-30 Mobil 1, engine build 10/4/99

Quick Reply: Piston Slap Question