dealer says: Superchip,JBA headers, Velocity Tube all violate warranty

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-1999, 04:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post dealer says: Superchip,JBA headers, Velocity Tube all violate warranty

My truck was running rough at low rpm's. I took it in and told them about moving wire harness away from AC accumulator. Other things I wanted checked were poor brake performance and power seat moving. (slight but annoying jerk on take off and hard braking) they said brakes checked out fine as did power seat. Then the bombshell: "We would have to charge you for diagnostic on the low rpm miss because of aftermarket headers and we also saw the superchip module in your center consul. these items violate warranty" (I had taken out the superchip and placed it in the center consul)What are, or where can I find out about laws concering aftermarket products and waranties?

------------------
FASTFOURBY
98 Lariat 4X4 SC SB Tow ORP
Superchipped!
K&N
Gibson Sport Truck
Edelbrock IAS
JBA Headers
16X8 Centerline Billet Wheels 285 75 16 BFG AT's for summer Stock 17's and Goodyears for winter.

Old 12-29-1999, 06:20 PM
Lightbulb

Jim, there has been tons of info on this in this board, but here is a web site that should answer your questions: http://www.alternativeauto.com/water.../warranty.html

Old 12-29-1999, 06:58 PM
Old 12-29-1999, 07:04 PM
Uh btw what the heck(!) were they doing in your console anyway? You should have ripped them a new one just for that!!!
There was a guy in the news that took his Bolt in for some service at 500 mi. in MICHIGAN and when he got it back it had 1,100 mi on it!!! The owner is demanding a WHOLE NEW TRUCK!! If you hollar loud enough, they'll accomidate you just to make you be quiet.

Old 12-29-1999, 07:06 PM
I agree with ATST. They shouldnt even be in your center console. The Superchip doesnt void the warranty anyways!

Old 12-29-1999, 07:37 PM
Cool

How about they have no proof the chip was ever in your truck. It was sitting in your center console, not installed in the truck. It could be something you just bought, or your brothers christmas gift. Besides, they submit the claim to Ford and Ford has no way of knowing what you have in your truck, especially if it's in the center console. Tell them either they fix it under warranty and they make money from Ford, or you take it somewhere's else and they make no money...

------------------
1997 F-150, 4.6, automatic, Dark Toreador Red, Supercab, Flareside, 4X4 Off-Road, Towing Package, Ford hvy dty rubber floor mats, Chrome Grizzly Wrap Around Push Bar with 2 KC 100w Daylighters, Ventshades, Ford bedliner, Code Alarm Sure Start RVS remote starter, Ford alarm, Realistic CB with Wilson Little Wil antenna and Astatic power mic, ported MAF sensor, and Lots of TLC!! (Besides being an F-150 nut, I am a Ford auto technician.)

Old 12-29-1999, 08:35 PM
Red face

I got the same treatment too(see K&N service light thread) man was I hot when they told me I had to pay for them to read a code. My new outlook on this is if I can't take it off I ain't putin' it on. When it goes to the dealer it all comes off from now on. Below is what Ford says is not covered and/or voids your warranty. I find it interesting that all mentions made to the MM warranty act are from the after market mfg's are they selling us a bill of goods ?

WHAT IS NOT COVERED?

Damage Caused By: accidents, collision or objects striking the vehicle theft, vandalism, or riot fire or explosion
freezing misusing the vehicle, such as driving over curbs, overloading, racing,
or using the vehicle as a stationary power source

altering or modifying the vehicle - including the body, chassis, or components - after the vehicle leaves Ford’s control

non-Ford parts installed after the vehicle leaves Ford’s control. For example, but not limited to, cellular phones, alarm systems, and automatic starting systems

tampering with the vehicle, tampering with the emissions systems, or with other parts that affect these systems

disconnecting or altering the odometer or allowing the odometer to be inoperative for an extended period of time with the result that the actual mileage cannot be determined

using contaminated or improper fuel/fluids

customer-applied chemicals or accidental spills

driving through water deep enough to cause water to be ingested into the engine

------------------
99' F-150 XLT SC 4X4 ORP LS 4.6L K&N Air Filter Air Box Mod (3" intake from fender & silencer removed), Superchip, A.R.E. Cover, Duraliner bed liner, Rapidflow 3" single CatBack exhaust.

Trending Topics

Old 12-29-1999, 08:42 PM
Neal HP Freak blew a head gasket and it's being fixed by dealer using the warrenty!! Everbody knows whats on his Truck!!!
4.10L.S, captain's chairs, bedliner, GTS carbon fiber headlight covers, **** CEPECK clear halogen driving lights, GTS slotted tailight covers (painted oxford white), FORD locking lug nuts, tinted windows,true duel exhaust with 2.5 inch mandrel bent pipes and FLOWMASTER 3 chamber mufflers with 3' tailpipes exiting before the rear wheel like the LIGHTNING, HELLWIG rear stabalizer bar, AUTOMETER guage pod and tranny temp guage, custom fabricated air intake trac and huge K/N filter, TPS mod, BELLTECH 2-inch rear drop, custom programed SUPERCHIP.

So there you have it!! Try another dealer.

Old 12-29-1999, 09:06 PM
Unhappy

If that dealer can show you that your headers caused the rough running at low rpm's and that your truck would be running just fine if you had not added the headers then yes you will have to pay for the diagnostic and any work done to fix that particular problem. But having them plunder through your console and then accuse you on the basis of something found there, you should have climbed up one side of them and down the other. LOUDLY!!

Old 12-29-1999, 09:17 PM
dealers for years always says that kind of crap.

If you go to www.sema.org They are the Specialty Equipment Manufacturers Association and there is some kind of article that I think is a federal mandate that the part must prove to be at fault to not warranty the service.

The only time a warranty can be voided is the part that has been replaced by an aftermarket part.

Robert

------------------
99 F150 Xtracab 4X4 XLT
5.4 liter Flairside
3.73 gears
all stock for now

Old 12-30-1999, 01:30 AM
Wink

That wasn't your Superchip. No.....it was.... it was your grandmothers.....yeah.....it was your grandmothers and it belonged in her 1978 LTD police special that you we're fixing for her......yeah.... that's the ticket.

Old 12-30-1999, 01:31 PM
They cant prove that youve had it in anyways.

Old 12-30-1999, 01:32 PM
They cant prove that youve had it in anyways.
{the superchip}

Old 12-30-1999, 01:44 PM
Banned
I have noticed MANY dealers would rather not fix things under warranty if they can get the owner to cough up the cash. A few months back, my Dad's '96 F150 had the MIL come on (pickup had 45K miles). Dealer charged him for diagnostic and replacement of computer. That's when I hit the roof. Certain items are covered beyond the basic 3/36 warranty, such as the ECU (covered for 5 years or 75K miles). I brought this to the attention of the service manager, who claimed he had never heard of this. I showed this MORON page 16 of the '96 warranty guide; he begrudgingly refunded the $413 charged. I have posted this before, and I'll post it again, check out this site: http://www.getpower.com/GBwarranty.html

------------------
'98 F150 XL Regular Cab, LWB, 4.2L V6, 5 Spd, 3.55 LS, Rhino Lining, factory heavy duty suspension, 3" Gibson Swept Side Cat Back, K&N filter, Oxford White minus the two tone garbage. BIG TIME FoMoCo p/u fan, not some fair weather hammerhead.

Old 12-30-1999, 05:06 PM
Exclamation

To me there are three key words in the owners manual about warranty and aftermarket parts.

"DAMAGED CAUSED BY"

I am not the brightest in the world though.

Akula

Quick Reply: dealer says: Superchip,JBA headers, Velocity Tube all violate warranty