99 f-150 with loud tapping on passenger side

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2016, 09:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
99 f-150 with loud tapping on passenger side

I have a 99 F150 with 235,000 miles on it. Last week I heard a noise while driving down the interstate. When I pulled over to check the noise it was coming from the passenger side. Checked the oil level and it was good. Eased it back home and the next morning I changed the oil. Used Motor craft filter and oil 5w30. Started up the truck and the tapping was still there but after about 15 mins it quitted off. Drove the truck this morning sounded good but about 10 miles into the trip the tapping came back only louder. Looked at the gauges to make sure that I had oil pressure (it showed half way on the gauge). Had 2 more miles to go so I took it easy and got there. 2 hours later when I started home it was still loud and increasing. Then I noticed a slight squeak noise like the belt happening intermittently. Slowed for the train tracks and the engine quit. Got it off the road switched it off and waited several mins trying to figure out what to do next. Tried starting the engine and it was almost like it was in a bind it would not turn over. Tried it again several times and it eventually turned over like it should and started. The tapping noise was almost gone. Made it back home. Does anyone have any ideas what the problem could be or where to start checking?
Thanks for any reply's and help.
Mike M

Last edited by BBQ Chef; 02-28-2016 at 09:46 PM.

Quick Reply: 99 f-150 with loud tapping on passenger side