Ticking noise on 2010 5.4 at 750 rpm

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2015, 09:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ticking noise on 2010 5.4 at 750 rpm

Hello,
Okay I know there are a lot of topics out there about these engines ticking/rattling/making noise but I'm really just looking for a little clarity or piece of mind.

I just bought a truck. It's a 2010 f150 5.4 v8 33k miles. I noticed today that at low RPM (500-800) there is a ticking noise coming from the engine compartment. There is no CEL and the engine is performing fine the only symptom is this tick. It only happens when the truck is in gear, not in neutral when it is revved to rpm range. It is a very soft tick mostly noticeable when driving close to building for sound to reflect off of, barely loud enough to record with my phone camera. Truck sounds relatively normal at idle cold and hot. I've read many people say that this can be a sign of a catastrophic issue and I've also read many people say that this is normal and will cause no problems.

Some Questions I have:
1. If the engine sounds fine at idle and only ticks in gear @ rpm range can it still be cam phasers/VCT (TSP from ford only mentioned noise at idle.)
2. Did they fix the whole cam phaser deal by 2010?
3. Should I be concerned and if so what actions would you recommend? I feel like there are some serious conflicting opinions on this matter. Is this still an issue in 2010?

Thank you and happy New Year!

Old 12-31-2015, 09:49 PM
glc
Received 763 Likes on 706 Posts
1. Possibly. It *might* be fuel injector ticking.
2. Nope, much better but not completely fixed.
3. Still can be an issue, why did you buy it if it was making noise? A chance that it wasn't properly maintained, specifically with proper oil and filter and change intervals.

Old 12-31-2015, 09:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by glc
1. Possibly. It *might* be fuel injector ticking.
2. Nope, much better but not completely fixed.
3. Still can be an issue, why did you buy it if it was making noise? A chance that it wasn't properly maintained, specifically with proper oil and filter and change intervals.
I didn't notice the ticking during the test drive. It is a very soft tick. Yes there is always that chance, I hope not.

Old 12-31-2015, 11:28 PM
glc
Received 763 Likes on 706 Posts
Could also be a slight exhaust leak.

Quick Reply: Ticking noise on 2010 5.4 at 750 rpm