Flex Fuel to gas engine swap

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2015, 10:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Flex Fuel to gas engine swap

I have a 2007 F150 with the 5.4 V8 Triton Flexfuel engine. the cam sensor went bad and this seems to be a common problem which leads to needing my engine replaced. Can I go from a FlexFuel engine to regular gas? I have seen posts regarding regular to flex but not the opposite. please help

Old 09-15-2015, 11:27 PM
glc
Received 761 Likes on 704 Posts
Why do you need to replace the engine?

Old 09-25-2015, 07:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
my mechanic said to break it down and pull it apart that something is bent in the upper unit? would cost more than to replace it. I don't like the flexfuel option and want to go straight gas. I have seen posts about going from gas to flex and needing to change fuel lines etc, in order to take the higher temps or something( obviously I am not advanced mechanical natured- I can do enough to get in trouble and figure things out) but I am not joe mechanic

Old 09-26-2015, 06:34 PM
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
In the modern P.C. America, going back to and engine that will ONLY run gasoline is simply foolish due to the MUCH higher costs of straight gasoline verses the alcohol laden CRAP that they sell now. Most of the Flex Fuel enhancements consist of changing gaskets, fuel lines, and the like to a newer material that is resistant to alcohol as well as to gasoline and nothing to do with how the engine operates. They do make it POSSIBLE to run alcohol based fuel but they don't require it, that's why they're called FLEX fuel.

The cam phasers have a lot more to do with driveability, engine power, fuel economy, emissions, etc and nothing to do with the fact that the engine has been modified to tolerate alcohol in the fuel (i.e. Flex fuel). The cam phasers allow an engine to vary the cam timing to get maximum performance at a wide range of RPMs and torque loads, unlike the old fixed cam timing engine that you frequently had to rev the **** out of to get adequate power. Keeping the RPM down while still getting enough torque drastically improves fuel economy and also lessens engine wear.

Quick Reply: Flex Fuel to gas engine swap