Very Very Interesting!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-1999, 10:16 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I received my latest issue of truck trends this week and there is a big article on these new trucks from GM. On the monster 8.1 V-8 they have a seperate article about gas mileage. This engine is going to have the 4-6-8 option that cadillac tried on their V-8's about 20 years ago, you know, where they can shut down the intake valves on 2 or 4 cylinders. They turned out to be a real POS. Supposedly GM has made major improvements, we will see.

------------------
98 Nascar Edition, Superchip, Airaid, Flowmaster 70 series, bedliner, in bed tool box, Profile bug deflector and window vents, Class III receiver hitch.

Old 12-16-1999, 11:00 AM
They may pull it off. Technology has improved a lot since the Caddy V864. I hope it works. Ford will then have to up the ante. Competition is a great thing. That's why we have a 260hp 5.4 instead of a 235hp 5.4. Ford wouldn't have upped the power if it wasn't because of the Vortec 350. There wouldn't have been any reason too.

------------------
'93 Regular Cab XLT Shortbed, 5.0, K&N, Borla, 160,000 miles; Future Expedition owner.

Old 12-16-1999, 01:45 PM
The funny thing about the cadillac engine is that owners of the single year built engine only noticed 1 mpg better than a regular v-8

and Sweet, took the words out of my mouth. IT keeps getting better, I hope that ford has the "piston-slap" problem fixed in a couple of years, because that would make a dicideing factor in my view.

Old 12-16-1999, 04:17 PM
Johnny,

I just read that. It will be interesting to see.

John B,

GMC has those two meanings.

Old 12-17-1999, 12:52 AM
Cool

It's good to see Chevy still has that ugly stick to beat their new trucks with.

------------------
99 XLT Black Ex-cab, Flareside, 5.4, ORP, 3.73, Gibson Supertruck, K&N, Superchip, Raised front 1", Modified Airbox, Slap-Free Motor at @19k

Old 12-17-1999, 12:57 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Fear works in odd ways. Don't be so defensive.

If you think Ford is better, then you should welcome competition. If the new Chevy is indeed better, it will force Ford to make an even better truck. It all runs in cycles.

Old 12-17-1999, 01:06 AM
Cool

Does anyone, other than me, think GM's new composite bed will be a major flop? What happens in an accident, do you go and get some bondo instead of bed skins? I would like to see that bed get a scoop full of rock dumped into it like in the ford commercials. They would probably have to scoop up the bed pieces. I guess GM is trying to get away from the rusting problem.

And what were they smoking when they designed these trucks, and do they have more?
It must be some excellent stuff.

I'm also not sure that aluminum is a good idea for a motor that performs as they claim. Because if it is, why haven't the major diesel engine manufacturers used it. GM doesn't own all of the aluminum do they?

------------------
stock 98 XL, Reg. cab,4.6, Auto, Tow package, 255/70R16 on styled steel wheels,3.55LS, Black with chrome grille and bumpers! MODS: custom stereo by me, building speaker box was a !@#$%. K&N air filter w/ airbox mod, a complete keyless entry system.

Old 12-17-1999, 10:20 AM

Edmunds picks the Ford F150 as their "most wanted" full size for 2000: http://www.edmunds.com/edweb/editori...Ford.F150.html

Interestingly enough, they picked the Ranger as the most wanted compact.

Looks like Ford's got the truck thing down pretty well, aye?

Furthermore, JD Powers reports that Ford has the highest customer retention percentage of any auto manufacturer:
http://www.jdpower.com/releases/Buye...tion121599.htm

Generally, you keep customers coming back with high quality products that have superior design. Wonder why Chevy didn't top the list? Perhaps it's the once-bitten-twice-shy syndrome.
Amazing how a four-year-old F150 design still tops the new-for-99 design of the Shovie in many people's eyes.

And this list doesn't even talk about quality and reliability, in which case the Ford has it all over the Shovie.

I bought a Ford primarily based upon my experience renting many different cars as a business traveller. Just about without exception, every General Motors product I rented (I've rented the Lumina, Monte Carlo, Malibu, Cavalier, Sunfire, Grand Am, Grand Prix, and several other bland GM cars) was a MAJOR POS (the Oldsmobile Intrigue was a pleasant surprise, though). Conversely, the Fords that I rented (Taurus, Mustang, Contour, all the Mercuries) were very solid, seemingly well screwed together . . and remember, these were rentals, so I abused them like a red-headed step-child.

I have never, ever been in a worse vehicle than the Chevy Cavalier/Pontiac Sunfire. What an unbelieveable piece of crap. I got the same feeling test driving the new shovie silverado.

So, to the insecure shovie owner (Sweet99Chevy) who finds the need to hang out at a Ford place hoping to make himself feel better about his misguided purchase decision, please: go drive your Shovie while it's still running. You may not have long.

Ford Rules (and I've owned them all: Ford, Toyota, Mitsubishi, Honda, Saturn, Mercedes-Benz, and driven most of the rest).

------------------
'99 XL 2x4 4.2L SC 5-Spd SC Black over Silver
Penda Liner, Chrome Tubular Step Bars, Prime Designs Bug Deflector

[This message has been edited by Doug Wilkerson (edited 12-17-1999).]

[This message has been edited by Doug Wilkerson (edited 12-17-1999).]

Old 12-17-1999, 11:51 AM
Cool

Super Duty wannabees.

------------------
Red 99.5 Lightning,#0975,Born 5/6/99...Adopted 5/27/99 Chipped w/SuperChip Flipchip chip,Water Wetter, Mobil 1, Foglamp Covers, 13.573@101.08

Old 12-17-1999, 01:36 PM
Talking

Laf, MRBBQMAN, that was a pretty funny site. Maybe we need to email that guy the link to the new GM SD's and see what he has to say about 'em. Hopefully it would be at least as clever as his site...

------------------
1999 F150 Lariat 4x4
SC SWB Styleside
5.4L 3.55ls
Oxford White

Old 12-17-1999, 11:29 PM
MRBBQMAN - That site - http://www.gmclemon.com/ - what a fascinating account! Love the music! How can a modern "American" enterprise continue to foist this kind of crap off on unsuspecting customers. Ah, but remember the Caddy V864 engine? The Fiero? The Vega's aluminum engine? Those strangler seatbelts instead of airbags? In Canada, those abysmal Vauxhall Vivas, Envoy Epics and Firenzas? Need I go on? Okay, I will. How about all the modern GM vans that fold up like beer cans in an offset collision? Ditto the current Jimmys and Blazers - check out the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety's site: www.hwysafety.com I think.

No wonder "The Corporation" is in deep trouble. Thank God America has left GM behind and has largely forgotten it.

------------------
Black 2000 SC short-box XLT. 4.2 V-6, 5-speed, 3.55 Limited Slip. Side steps, CD, remote entry, factory box liner. My add-ons: Older Windstar (driver's side) wiper blade - the one with the air scoop, because I don't slow down when it rains; "f150online" sticker and snazzy Tweetie Bird floor mats.

My second of the "new" F150s. Great trucks!

Old 12-18-1999, 12:14 AM
Correction on that URL in my previous post if you want to watch Blazers, Jimmys, Transports, etc. fold up like beer cans. It's www.hwysafety.org for the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety.

------------------
Black 2000 SC short-box XLT. 4.2 V-6, 5-speed, 3.55 Limited Slip. Side steps, CD, remote entry, factory box liner. My add-ons: Older Windstar (driver's side) wiper blade - the one with the air scoop, because I don't slow down when it rains; "f150online" sticker and snazzy Tweetie Bird floor mats.

My second of the "new" F150s. Great trucks!

Old 12-18-1999, 04:21 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
----JD Power and Assoc. 1999 Automobile performance, Execution and Layout Study: Most Appealing Full-Size Pickup=Chevy Silverado

----http://www.jdpower.com/releases/VDI033199.html Look at the 6th paragraph

---- http://www.jdpower.com/images/chart1072799.gif self explanatory

[This message has been edited by Sweet99Chevy (edited 12-18-1999).]

Old 12-18-1999, 05:02 PM
man, do i feel like a dumbass.
i could have had the most appealing full size truck of 99 as per jd powers.

------------------
99 black lightning w/3 options, superchip, sal's filter,wyldman's fog covers,bedrug,roll-n-lock, clear corners

Old 12-18-1999, 06:46 PM
Aw Man! JD says its the MOST APPEALING, so I guess Ill go buy it.

Quick Reply: Very Very Interesting!!!!!