Power steering drop when replacing timing chains

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2015, 11:10 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Power steering drop when replacing timing chains

I'm hoping someone has an easy way to drop the power steering pump when removing the chain cover. I started the project of replacing my timing chains in my 98 F150 5.4 4wd and I can't see how to get to the bolts easy. Hoping someone can chime in with a good way. Thanks in advance.

Old 07-30-2015, 08:26 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Use a die grinder and cut the head off the one bolt that is captive, then remove the other two, when reinstalling the pump only use two bolts. Two will hold the pump on just fine.

Old 08-03-2015, 01:20 PM
I was able to use an 8mm ratchet wrench (the kind that have the box end of the wrench that ratchets) and a pipe for leverage. This worked well to remove mine.

Old 09-05-2021, 12:20 AM
David with Jeff Berg Automotive I was doing the timing chains on a 02 F150 the 7700 i

I was doing the timing chain on it I took the motor mount bolts out Jack motor up took the bolts out of power steering pump with no problem the new timing set come with them plastic tensioners they ain't worth a crap did the same thing had rattling in it I went back with the old cast irons no rattle motor run good haven't had no problems with it did another one later on and did the exact same thing Crank It Up has some rather than later determined did it was not pushing enough oil pressure keep the tension on the chain replace the oil pump put motor back together haven't heard from the customer since motor runs good I've checked on it like all of my customers on a regular basis customer say the trucks are doing fine both of my customers are sending their sounds to me to work on their trucks got a Harley-Davidson coming into Scottsdale knocking issues that the dealership told him the motor was no good come find out to testing her for bad on timing chains

Quick Reply: Power steering drop when replacing timing chains