Remote Oil Filter

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-1999, 08:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Remote Oil Filter

Have I missed something here? I have several friends with 1999 4x4 F-150s, with both 4.6 and 5.4 engines, that have the remote oil filters.

I buy mine, a 1999 4x4 with the 5.4, and go to do the first oil change ( 500 miles ), and the filter is mounted to the engine!! No remote!!

Bought mine in July and was wondering if Ford has dropped the remote for the 2000 year models, and mine was just close enough on the production line that I didn't get it.

At least Ford added a nice " Drain Tray " over the front diff, to direct the runoff into a pan instead of all over the front axle !!!

Any info or thoughts ?????

Thanks
Steve Bowman

[This message has been edited by Steve B (edited 12-15-1999).]

Old 12-15-1999, 08:52 PM
I don't have one either, in fact I didn't know they put them on at the factory! I will definitly have to get one. Tight squeez isn't the word for getting the oil filter in!!!

------------------
'97 Ford SC 4X4 XLT Off Road pkg., 4.6,A/OD, 3:55, premium sound w/CD chg, Black clct,towing pkg., hvy duty elec. pkg., Bridestone dueler AT's, line X, Flowmaster true duals, chip, K&N air filter, smittybilt stainless nerf bars

Old 12-15-1999, 08:54 PM
SteveB
Bought mine in mid August and mine also has it attached to the engine in the same place as my 97 4.6, although it is much easier to get to on the 5.4. This is interesting; would also like to know.

------------------
99 4x4 SC Lariat 5.4l 3.73 rear, oxford white

Old 12-15-1999, 11:02 PM
Cool

Steve B.:

Let me know if you find a good remote kit. I had a '97 that was a pain to change, but my new '00 SUCKS!!!! They added a small spill shield somewhere in between the years and it makes it next to impossible to get the filter in and out without hammering it in!

mailto:teksec01@hotmail.com

------------------
TekSec, 2000 F-150 XLT, Deep Wedgewood Blue/Silver,4.6L,3.55LS,Class III Tow, Keyless w/alarm. Basically a Lariat w/o the Leather!
Mods:
Airaid FIPK
Future Mods:
Superchip
Borla CatBack
JBA or Gibson Headers
Powerdyne Supercharger

Old 12-16-1999, 12:34 AM
Well you have come to the right place for the remote. Fortunatly Mine had the remote from the factory, but I am still going to put a By-pass on mine too. Go to my website and click on the filters link. you will find information on the remote scroll down to page 4 when you get the catalog to come up.
Email me if you have any questions!!

Michael

------------------
Want the First and Best Synthetics Available?
Lube-Direct

Old 12-16-1999, 01:36 PM
Having just changed my oil last weekend on my 2000 5.4 I was wondering what kind of tool do you use to get to the oil filter off.
I used the compression type metal band tool and had a heck of a time getting the filter back on. I was only able to move the filter about a half an inch at a time.
Getting the old one off didn't seem all that bad but putting a new one back on was fun. Course that's about how all my projects go. I take things apart and then wonder where all these parts came from.

Has anyone tried the oil filter wrench that fits in the grooves on the end of the filter?
Craig

Old 12-16-1999, 01:46 PM
Be careful with the remote filters, etc. There is another guy on here who installed one and one of the lines came loose. He had to replace his engine!

Jim

------------------
1998 F-150 XLT SC 5.4L

Old 12-16-1999, 02:19 PM
Cool

I don't think it's hard at all, trun the wheel all they to the left i used a band type wrench to loosen it then pull it out towards the front then through the bottom, put the new one on by hand let it touch the base tighten it 1/2 turn 3/4 turn ,. and mines a 4x4. I have changed filters that where alot harder than this i used a a motorcraft filter also .

Old 12-16-1999, 02:45 PM
LHM
I agree with Steve, it is not hard to me considering some of the other filters that I have had to remove. I love that spill shield, it keeps the oil off of my shiny new front axle. I was dreading giving the truck its first oil change, because I just knew that the filter was going to spill oil all over everthing, but I was pleasantly surprised when I saw it run from the shield right into the pan that I use to catch it. It is about time somebody put something like that on a vehicle to keep it from getting greasy underside.

LHM

Old 12-16-1999, 02:46 PM
tell me about this remote filter, what it is exactly and why it is there? i have never heard of it

------------------
1998 F150 XLT Reg. Cab, STX, White, 4.2 v6, 4x2, K&N, 3.55, Manik grill gaurd, **** Cepek 100 watt driving lamps, Kenwood mask CD-player, drop hitch, Ford hitch insert, 16x8 Atlas rims w/ 285/75/16 BFG All-Terrains KO to be put on when I get the new retooled bullseye spindles

Old 12-16-1999, 03:03 PM
Thanks Steve,

I didn't turn the wheel to the left. That should make some extra room.

Craig

Quick Reply: Remote Oil Filter