Follow-up 5w-20 Oil

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2001, 08:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Follow-up 5w-20 Oil

Okay I cratered! After reading all those posts about oil starvation, warranties, overhead cams, Ford R&D, etc etc I freaked-out, left work early, and drove home very slowly to re-change the oil. I only put 30 miles on the new Harley Screw with the 20-50 GTX. What I should say is "THANKS" to everyone for helping me see the light on this subject.

I found only one 5w-20 weight oil that was actually what Ford wants in their trucks. Twas the Penzoil Pure Base. Actual says for new 2001 Fords on label. (Makes you wonder). I guess from here on out, I'll stay with the OE lube specs. Plan on changing to the slippery stuff when I get some more miles. Clock just hit 1k.

Thanks to all that replied and shared their thoughts

Reidster

Old 08-20-2001, 09:23 PM
What's really wierd about this whole oil issue is that if you look in you 2001 owner's manual you will find that Ford "recommends" 5W 20, but no where does it say that it requires 5W 20. Since the earlier models (97) used 5W 30, one must assume that one of two things have changed. A) the engine requires thinner oil to insure that the valve train is adequately lubed (hard for me to believe), or B) 5W 20 enables Ford to call this a low emissions vehicle.

Personally, I am sold on the 5W end of things... having a free flowing motor oil at startup makes perfect sense. The only real question is what is the best high end viscosity... I'm planning on asking the dealer to do 5W 30 on my first change.

Old 08-20-2001, 11:47 PM
Reid ---you did the right thing...20w50 doesn't flow worth a darn when its cool outside...It has to do with two major things...Cool weather flowability and fuel mileage...

I can still remember the Castrol 20w50 adds....To prevent thermal breakdown....

This is not like it is any more..all the wear is starting cold(dry start) and getting oil pressure up as quick as possible by having thin oil and not by revving the engine...

Clingability of the oil is most important and this is where the synthetics shine....

I would run a 0W10 synthetic if they made it....minimum parasitic hp loss and maximum fuel mileage and oil lubricant....

Old 08-21-2001, 12:38 AM
I had an 83 F250 with the 6.9 Diesel, that I couldn't plug in during the winter. All winter, I used straight 10W Mobil Delvac oil in it. When I got rid of the truck it had 386,000 miles on it. During that tiem I replaced the engine bearings once. The engine bearing change was at about 280,000.

I used the truck just as hard in the winter as i did in the summer.

I don't think the 5W-20 oil is goign to hurt anything at all. I just wish Mobil made Mobil 1 in 5W-20.

Old 08-21-2001, 01:44 AM
As long as you are comfortable with what you are using and it is close to the 5/20, you will be fine. I prefer synthetics, but I have yet to wear out an engine on any quality oil. One thing though, on my boat engine, my oil pressure improved about 10 psi when the motor was hot at idle with the Mobil one. That sold me.
Enjoy your new truck!
Terry

Quick Reply: Follow-up 5w-20 Oil