1997 f150 4.6 knocking? only when warmed up (sound clip)

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2013, 05:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 1997 f150 4.6 knocking? only when warmed up (sound clip)

Sad day for me today boys as Im thinking I have a major problem.

Truck has always took a long time to fire for some reason. turns over for probably 3 seconds before it fires. My 2wd fires instantly.

The truck runs runs fine when its cold and at operating temp but when the motor gets up to operating temperature its starts making a knocking sound. The weird thing is it wont make that sound when cold, even if I rev it to 5000 rpms but when it gets warm it wont make that knocking sound on idle, only when I rev it up. I really have zero funds to to do anything other than normal maintenance and I do it myself. The power seems to be normal. It has been doing this for a couple weeks with no check engine light and it just now came on and my superchips tuner gave me these DTC's

P1151
P0171
P0174

I have a couple small holes in my drivers side cat and a 2" crack in the pipe but I dont even want to pay to have that fixed if the motor has a serious issue. seems like it got worse as my exhaust got worse.

I run the superchips tuner on 87 octane mode. I dont know if the tuner was causing these conditions, spark knock, a rod bearing or? My temperature gauge guage gets to about 7/16 and never gets hotter. My oil pressure guage sits at about 11/16-3/4 and doesn't fluctuate.

Anyways I have a small soundclip/video. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by ratherBstroked; 03-28-2013 at 10:35 PM.
Old 03-28-2013, 07:47 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Sounds like a lash Adjuster. It's fixable.

Remove the cam cover.

Remove the camshaft roller followers.

Remove the hydraulic lash adjuster.

Install in reverse order.

Old 03-28-2013, 10:11 PM
Sorry I am not overly mechanically inclined but willing to try. Basically you are saying remove and re-install with new parts? The sound is louder from underneath the truck as to popping the hood. It will only make this sound when warm but even when the motor is warm it wont make the sound when its just idling, no sound at all until I start reving it up past 1500 rpms. When its cold it doesnt matter how much I rev it, it just wont make that sound. I thought it was maybe a lifter and I could tighten the rocker arm down but it sounds too loud to be that i think. Cant figure out why it only makes the sound when warm but not at idle.

Last edited by ratherBstroked; 03-28-2013 at 10:39 PM.
Old 03-28-2013, 10:52 PM

First I'd stethoscope it to try and determine where it's the loudest under the cam cover while it's making the noise. Go from there. Obtain a service manual and look over the procedure. Like say here,

https://www.f150online.com/forums/19...ir-manual.html

It's a 5 minute download, but it's a fairly decent Ford Factory service manual.

Everything should be in there.

It doesn't have to be a lash adjuster, but it sure sounds like it to me. You want to make sure the problem isn't with the timing components. If it is by chance, the noise will be the loudest at the front of the cam cover. The stethoscope will give you a good idea where to look once the cam cover is removed.

Old 03-28-2013, 10:59 PM

Originally Posted by ratherBstroked
Cant figure out why it only makes the sound when warm but not at idle.
Oil thins out when warm. Be glad it's not making the noise all the time. If it just started to, best time to fix it. The noise is intermittent because conditions have to met before it sounds off. Right now anyway.

Old 04-03-2013, 08:44 PM
Really wish some other would chime in that have had similar experience. JMC and Jbrew have helped wonders and same with some others but I cannot pin point the sound anywhere even with a stehescope. Its not coming from the front of the motor. It sounds bottom end but I have no shavings in my oil, no dis-colouration and truck runs great cold or hot but power is lost when warmed up. No erratic idle or anything. I thought a bad main bearing, rod bearing, wrist pin or rod would knock all the time. Once warmed up if I gas it hard from a dead stop and let it rev out then quickly let off it gives sound of a sticking lifter. Really fast knocking down to nothing within a 1-2 second time slot. brought the truck into my buddies shop and the head mech looked at it but used no stethescope and said yes, it has a rod knock and that it shouldnt lose power because of that but its does lose power. The truck is useless on the highway. Either way the motor will be swapped within a month or so as I am pulling the donor motor this saturday but its killing me. theres no way an exhaust leak could make that sound right? Like a frigged up cat? Once I can pull that motor which wont be right away I know I can pull the pan and the valve covers and possibly find out. I would pull my valve cover now BUT the studs are completely rotted away and this is my only vehicle so I cant be without it. frigg it really bothers me.

I have been searching google and youtube all week and found threads from other forums with exact symptoms but obviously. . . . . no replies, answers or final issues.

Quick Reply: 1997 f150 4.6 knocking? only when warmed up (sound clip)