Antifreeze dripping from exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2013, 08:25 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Antifreeze dripping from exhaust

Hey Guys, I own a 2003 F-150 V-8 5.4 Super Crew. The truck has 138k and runs great. I noticed this am that I had signs of antifreeze dripping out a small hole in my muffler. I know its antifreeze because it snowed here last night and I can see the yellowish splatter from the drip. I checked my oil and looks good (no signs of antifreeze) and also checked the coolant reservoir and no signs of oil. It was a little low from the cold fill line but I already warmed the truck so I'll check again when it cools. I also had some white crap on the oil fill cap. Now I only travel 6 miles to work so this may be the cause of that. Should I be concerned? Is there something I can check/replace? or just give it to my mechanic and let him go at it.

Thanks!

Old 03-08-2013, 08:33 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Probably a head gasket, hopefully not a cracked head.

Old 03-08-2013, 11:03 AM
glc
Received 763 Likes on 706 Posts
Do a hydrocarbon test on the coolant and be prepared to do a compression/cylinder leakdown test.

Old 03-08-2013, 12:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Funny, I just put a clean pan under my truck and let it idle for 15 min. I had nothing but water.....hummmm

Old 03-08-2013, 05:50 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Really I dont see anything in your post that could not be considered normal condensation. The junk under the cap? Normal. Moisture in exhaust? normal (yellow RUST in the exhaust system. Sniff the exhaust Antifreeze smell? Yes? you have a bad gasket or a crack no? dont worry about it.

Old 03-09-2013, 04:55 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by tommyboys88
Funny, I just put a clean pan under my truck and let it idle for 15 min. I had nothing but water.....hummmm
A lot of people would probably freak at this (probably scared of the dark too) but if I ever had a situation like that I put a drop on my finger and onto my tongue. If it is antifreeze, trust me you can taste it. (no, I don't swallow it) If it's condensation, it will not taste like antifreeze! Have done that as long as I can remember and it's never failed me yet.

Old 03-09-2013, 01:31 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by code58
A lot of people would probably freak at this (probably scared of the dark too) but if I ever had a situation like that I put a drop on my finger and onto my tongue. If it is antifreeze, trust me you can taste it. (no, I don't swallow it) If it's condensation, it will not taste like antifreeze! Have done that as long as I can remember and it's never failed me yet.
Right, tastes sweet. Don't leave that stuff in bucket, or around the punch bowl, it'll get drank. Very Lethal. Nothing wrong with a taste. Just rinse your mouth out with a wire brush afterward

Quick Reply: Antifreeze dripping from exhaust