New to 04+ F-150

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2012, 09:33 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New to 04+ F-150

Well being my first post, I should introduce.

Night here, I have a 2007 Ford F-150 with 76k on it. It's a screw cab with 6 ft bed. 5.4 V8, 3:55 L/S axle. And I've had it for almost 2 months.

What brings me to this forum is some questions about the later used F-150 trucks. (bear with me, I have quite a long story)

I took it to the dealership 3 weeks ago for the passenger side exhaust manifold leak. The studs snapped in the head. Forcing the dealership to remove the head. All while having it apart I told them to change the cam phaser. Since it was going bad. (all under warranty). They get stud out of the head, replace the phaser and put it all back together. Tech goes out, drives it, and determines the driver side phaser had went bad. So, the wait begins. Ford had a national backorder on the driver side phaser assembly, and the next week one finally came into the dealership. The phaser is installed, and the tech struggled with getting the driver side bank in time again. They get it all back together once again, And drive it. It was finally quiet, but they had a problem sound from the timing sets. Seems the tensioners were not changed. So, yesterday they sent it to another dealer to have a try at it. They get it back last night finally. New phasers, tensioners chains, exhaust manifold, head gasket, totalling $5300 in parts and labor, I drive it last night. The engine spit and fell on itself idling. No codes, just died. They put a scanner on it and pulled an O2 sensor rich code. So since no CEL was on I drove it home. It ran fine until this morning. I was on interstate going to work and the CEL came on. I had a 4.6 that did this same thing and head gaskets were bad so I called off work and took it back to dealership.

Guess what I"m trying to say and ask is. Should they just scrap the engine? It's practically new on the passenger side and the from timing sets.

Are there any other areas that tend to fall apart on the 5.4 3v? I dont want to go through all this with no warranty.. 5300 bucks is a used car.

Sorry to be so long winded but it's been a frustrating situation. I've always loved Ford, but this F-150 has had more time in the shop than my 2006 Ranger ever. (and i had the ranger 5 years and had 150k on it when I traded)

Old 08-07-2012, 09:48 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i feel your pain man, at least your warrantee covered it. my head was damaged at 75k ($3800)and then i lost OD and needed tranny rebuild($1800) VOIDED because of one size bigger tires. i have a love/hate relationship with ford

i think they updated the phasers, just get updated with the 1 piece spark plugs if you dont already have them and you should be good to go. a lot of people swear by the 3v 5.4. i wouldnt sweat it. sounds like they f ed up the head gasket

did they really have to pull the head to get the stud out

for that price i could have put in a reman engine for half the cost

Old 08-07-2012, 10:28 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
since all that was done kinda complicates diagnoses but points the finger back at poor workmanship....since the truck is falling flat on its face....has anybody checked the fuel pump driver module for corrosion on the plug connector or base where it mounts to the frame cross member back by the spare tire???

Old 08-13-2012, 12:15 PM
Originally Posted by night455
Well being my first post, I should introduce.

Night here, I have a 2007 Ford F-150 with 76k on it. It's a screw cab with 6 ft bed. 5.4 V8, 3:55 L/S axle. And I've had it for almost 2 months.

What brings me to this forum is some questions about the later used F-150 trucks. (bear with me, I have quite a long story)

I took it to the dealership 3 weeks ago for the passenger side exhaust manifold leak. The studs snapped in the head. Forcing the dealership to remove the head. All while having it apart I told them to change the cam phaser. Since it was going bad. (all under warranty). They get stud out of the head, replace the phaser and put it all back together. Tech goes out, drives it, and determines the driver side phaser had went bad. So, the wait begins. Ford had a national backorder on the driver side phaser assembly, and the next week one finally came into the dealership. The phaser is installed, and the tech struggled with getting the driver side bank in time again. They get it all back together once again, And drive it. It was finally quiet, but they had a problem sound from the timing sets. Seems the tensioners were not changed. So, yesterday they sent it to another dealer to have a try at it. They get it back last night finally. New phasers, tensioners chains, exhaust manifold, head gasket, totalling $5300 in parts and labor, I drive it last night. The engine spit and fell on itself idling. No codes, just died. They put a scanner on it and pulled an O2 sensor rich code. So since no CEL was on I drove it home. It ran fine until this morning. I was on interstate going to work and the CEL came on. I had a 4.6 that did this same thing and head gaskets were bad so I called off work and took it back to dealership.

Guess what I"m trying to say and ask is. Should they just scrap the engine? It's practically new on the passenger side and the from timing sets.

Are there any other areas that tend to fall apart on the 5.4 3v? I dont want to go through all this with no warranty.. 5300 bucks is a used car.

Sorry to be so long winded but it's been a frustrating situation. I've always loved Ford, but this F-150 has had more time in the shop than my 2006 Ranger ever. (and i had the ranger 5 years and had 150k on it when I traded)

if its running rich, could just be a coil. they are very problematic, you feel a miss at idle tight?

any updates???

Old 08-15-2012, 09:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Turns out Ford sent a bad cam phaser. The timing mark was off causing intake valves to stay open too long pouring too much gas into the cylinder. I got 22 miles on 1/4 of a tank. Hence my O2 running rich. So.. Changed the phaser after 2 more attempts to get it timed in. And its running great now. However it's not out of the woods yet. They messed up my fan clutch so tomorrow they are ordering it to replace it. And then it will be in tip top shape. I had them changed it to full synthetic oil with the new phasers in it. I'm hoping that this month without it is the only month I have to go without it for a very long time.

Old 08-15-2012, 09:53 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Scary. Good luck.

Old 08-15-2012, 10:32 PM
Originally Posted by IntRiniTy
just get updated with the 1 piece spark plugs
There are NO upgraded 1 piece spark plug..... Only the Champions that are a 50/50 success for the 3v

Quick Reply: New to 04+ F-150