Engine will sputter at start-up and stalls

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2012, 07:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine will sputter at start-up and stalls

I have a 2001 F150 SCrew 4x4 King Ranch, 5.4L, V-8 with 112,xxx miles on it. I just about 300 miles ago had the oil changed for regular mantience, but for the past month or two, my truck will really "struggle" to start up, like after sitting over night, but it would only sputter for a second or two, then fire up normally. Today, however, after school was out, (truck was sitting for 11 hours) i went to start it up, and it started, but did the normal struggle, only getting to about 1000rpm, then dropped RPM very slowly to about 400 rpm, then just stalled out... this is the first time it has stalled, i waited a few seconds, tried again, and it started flawlessly. It never struggles or anything when at a stop or just idleing, just on start up.

My question is, what would be causing the truck to sputter like this after sitting over night or a long period of time? Fuel pump? spark plugs? hopefully nothing to costly, but i am just curious to know before the truck dies out complelty...

Thank you for any help!!!!

Old 08-14-2012, 09:19 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 2001KR4x4
I have a 2001 F150 SCrew 4x4 King Ranch, 5.4L, V-8 with 112,xxx miles on it. I just about 300 miles ago had the oil changed for regular mantience, but for the past month or two, my truck will really "struggle" to start up, like after sitting over night, but it would only sputter for a second or two, then fire up normally. Today, however, after school was out, (truck was sitting for 11 hours) i went to start it up, and it started, but did the normal struggle, only getting to about 1000rpm, then dropped RPM very slowly to about 400 rpm, then just stalled out... this is the first time it has stalled, i waited a few seconds, tried again, and it started flawlessly. It never struggles or anything when at a stop or just idleing, just on start up.

My question is, what would be causing the truck to sputter like this after sitting over night or a long period of time? Fuel pump? spark plugs? hopefully nothing to costly, but i am just curious to know before the truck dies out complelty...

Thank you for any help!!!!
this could be several things.

but start simple;
1st, scan codes and note which ones are present...codes can be tripped without the CEL light on. clear them and see what returns after some maintenance

2nd, I'd change the fuel filter, air filter and clean the MAF sensor

3rd, clean the IAC...the better way to clean this is to remove the whole Throttle body housing, then remove and clean the IAC. While the throttle body housing is off clean it too, making sure the 2 EGR ports are clean.

these things can be done on Saturday morning easy, providing correct tools are there

then depending if any codes are tripped...then address them

At 112k on the ticker...have you had the spark plugs changed?? If not you might also consider that

Last edited by enriched; 08-14-2012 at 09:22 PM. Reason: more info
Old 08-15-2012, 11:31 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I will def try those ideas Asap, thank you!! I will report back soon hopefully with good news!!!!

What would be the easiest way to "scan the codes"? No lights are coming on the dash or have while I've been driving, or even since I've had the truck (3 years). I am going to check/clean air filter this afternoon.
My father also suggested running premium fuel through the engine for a full tank, should I do this? Or should I just get some of that stuff you pour in the tank that cleans the valves and "improves mpg"
Thanks!!!

Also, spark plugs, haven't been replaced, but have been wanting to with the E3 ones.
But have been afraid of the prong on the bottom of plug breaking off and falling into the valve... Any suggestions??

Last edited by 2001KR4x4; 08-15-2012 at 11:34 AM.
Old 08-15-2012, 12:25 PM
glc
Received 763 Likes on 706 Posts
The 2001 plugs don't break. Use Motorcraft plugs, do not use antiseize, and torque them to 28 ft/lb.

You scan for codes by using a - OBD2 code scanner.

A bottle of Techron in the gas sure wouldn't hurt.

Old 08-16-2012, 07:08 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
agree with GLC ^^^

most auto parts stores will scan your codes.

E3's work best with carbuerated engines....Ive had good results on lawn mowers, snowblowers & etc....not really seen any satisfying results in modular engines over the long term, that is more than 2yrs.

Quick Reply: Engine will sputter at start-up and stalls