'09 5.4L missing

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2012, 02:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'09 5.4L missing

Hey guys -
Sorry, have used the search feature, but having to wade through 2008 and older model info wasn't yielding useful results, so I'm posting here in hopes of some info on new year troubleshooting.

I've got a 2009 Expy 3v, approximately 68k on it, started missing and eventually threw a P0302 Cylinder 2 Misfire code. Bought some SP508 plugs, and I'm going to go ahead and change them while I've got the car down. Any special instructions on changing these? Am I to understand the broken plug issue should be a non-issue (brown CAPS and all)?

Secondly, based on what I've read, I should change the CAPs as well as the plugs at the same time, and I stand a pretty good chance of getting rid of the misfire. Seeing that the local parts stores want $60+/ea, is there a better alternative? Most of the eBay pieces I can find are DG508s, they're angled and have the electrical connector at the wrong place. Is there a specific aftermarket model number for the 2009+ CAPs that I should search for?

Thanks for any info you can provide.

Old 06-24-2012, 02:49 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Hey.

Change the plugs first. It's likely the COPS are fine. IF you are looking for COPS, get Visteon/Motorcraft from Rock Auto.

This is a no-brainer plug change since it's a 'normal' design one-piece plug.

Use dielectric in the boots ( and I'd recommend new boots as well - not expensive) for the best seal.

FYI - you can filter Search so you won't have to 'wade' through 04-08 info - although most of the best plug change info relevant & common to yer heads is in that segment.

MGD

Old 06-24-2012, 05:28 PM
Thanks for the reply. Just changed the plugs, gapped at .045. Nothing really abnormal about them - #7 had a bit of rust above the threads which I thought a bit strange since none of the others had any - but oh well.

She runs far better than she did - however it really wasn't a fair comparison because I didn't get her all the way up to temp. I can tell at idle it's still missing. Off to find some new COPs - unless there are any other recommendations? Thanks!

Old 06-24-2012, 06:31 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Make sure DG 511 coils are what you need. Almost positive they are, but things changed in 08. I believe it was color only (brown) and that 511's will work.

Just make sure your 3V engine year is listed as compatible,- where ever you find your coils.

Old 06-24-2012, 10:51 PM
glc
Received 763 Likes on 706 Posts
The 09 5.4 3V in the Expy with brown boots takes DG521 cops. 50 bucks each at rockauto.com. You can buy just the boots for $5.75 each, WR6133.

The Ebay seller who has Visteon DG508's and DG511's doesn't have DG521's.

Old 06-25-2012, 12:38 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I would buy 1 coil and find out what ones bad through the process of elimination. Those coils you have should still be good I'd start with #7 the one you said had rust on the plug. Maybe the previous owner washed the motor and filled that plug well up and fried the coil.. if thats not it move the new coil around until you find the miss. Wait a couple years and aftermarket suppliers will start selling them coils cheaper..

Old 06-27-2012, 06:25 PM
Thanks guys - following up on the resolution to my issue (so that anyone else troubleshooting this may benefit).

1) Changed plugs - things got better, but didn't resolve.
2) Replaced #2 COP - things cleared up 100%! DG521 from eBay fixed me up (brown boot, as folks mentioned above).

Thank you guys so much for your help! Now just off to use the search feature to figure out how to clear the check engine light

Quick Reply: '09 5.4L missing