New F150 owner needs help!

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2012, 01:30 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New F150 owner needs help!

Hey guys, I just bought an 89 F150 2wd with the 5.8 V8 under the hood. First time ford owner.

I got this truck for doing what most guys do with trucks, hauling stuff around. I will be using it a lot on the highway to tow my boat to and from the lake, but i hear that these trucks can be pretty thirsty when sensors start to **** the bed.

The truck has been sitting for 2 years, but I hear that it was TERRIBLE on gas before hand.

Can I get a list of parts to either upgrade or replace on these trucks that can positively effect my fuel economy? Anything that is at the top of the list when it comes to best bang for your buck?

Old 06-07-2012, 10:47 PM
Curious...what gas mileage are you getting now? My thoughts are change ALL the fluids, sea foam, fuel filter, air filter, injector cleaner (?), sparks plugs, spark wires, cap and rotor, coil (maybe upgrade to MSD ?; not that expensive). Especially do this if it has been sitting for a couple years.

I recently bought a 96 4x4, Detroit locked 4.10 rear, with a 460 (7.5L). I was getting 8 mpg. I did all of the above, plus wheel alignment (!), spring bushings, new rear brakes and drums (fronts were okay), and wheel bearings. I'm up to 15 mpg! Almost doubled the mpg! My exhaust is smashed up and I'm hoping that a better flowing exhaust will increase the mpg a tiny bit more.

I hope you have the same luck!

Old 06-09-2012, 11:48 AM
Thank you for the advice! Is there a website that f150 owners use to get parts at a reasonable price that you would recommend?

Old 06-09-2012, 08:10 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Rockauto.com.

Quick Reply: New F150 owner needs help!