need more power

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2012, 01:04 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
need more power

ok i have a 04 f150 xlt with the 4.6l in it know baby v8. it has around 106k on it. what can be done to the 4.6l short of spray, turbo or super charger to get the most power out of it? right now i have a k&n cold air intake and true dual exhaust. i am looking at programers but not sure what one would be best. id like one that i can change tunes on the fly like the edge. how much hp and torque are these motors able to put out without turboing or super charging?

Old 04-12-2012, 07:16 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by sliderdog
Have you heard that the USB could be made into a very fashionable men's bracelet wearing on the arm??

Look this~we made it !>> 4GB Bracelet Leather USB Flash Drive
Cool story, bro. Tell it again.

Old 04-12-2012, 07:23 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Well, some/most of the spam is gone. EsJayEs, -edit that spam from post #2, - delete it ehh.. So no one hits that link.

Last edited by jbrew; 04-12-2012 at 08:38 PM. Reason: Most spam cleaned up.
Old 04-12-2012, 07:25 AM
Originally Posted by monoxide
ok i have a 04 f150 xlt with the 4.6l in it know baby v8. it has around 106k on it. what can be done to the 4.6l short of spray, turbo or super charger to get the most power out of it? right now i have a k&n cold air intake and true dual exhaust. i am looking at programers but not sure what one would be best. id like one that i can change tunes on the fly like the edge. how much hp and torque are these motors able to put out without turboing or super charging?
Don't waste your money on a tuner. The gains are marginal at best, and not at all noticable. I have the 4.6L and tried a Hypertech tuner, but couldn't feel any difference.

The short answer is that there's not much you can do to get more power. It is what it is. You may run into people that swear by these tuners, but I'm convinced that it's a placebo.

Not bashing the 4.6L. I find it's quite adequete for daily driving and towing. The heaviest I've towed was about 6,000 pounds (Explorer + flatbed trailer) going through the mountains of Western Maryland. It did just fine.

Old 04-12-2012, 07:52 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by EsJayEs
Don't waste your money on a tuner. The gains are marginal at best, and not at all noticable. I have the 4.6L and tried a Hypertech tuner, but couldn't feel any difference.

The short answer is that there's not much you can do to get more power. It is what it is. You may run into people that swear by these tuners, but I'm convinced that it's a placebo.

Not bashing the 4.6L. I find it's quite adequete for daily driving and towing. The heaviest I've towed was about 6,000 pounds (Explorer + flatbed trailer) going through the mountains of Western Maryland. It did just fine.
I beg to differ - if your only reference or metric is that completely useless Hypercrap, you really can't speak to the results obtainable from a properly done true custom tune. I had a 4.6 - and the SCT custom tunes from TP woke it up. Premium fuel tuning is required for best results since these engines do not have VCT. I've run standard canned tuning as well - (a 1715) and I can confirm there is simply no comparison. None.

Properly done, a custom tune will allow yer 4.6 to approach the stock rwhp of a 5.4. It WILL still be lagging in the torque department - no real way around that given the displacement diference.

The other, equally important changes involve elimination of many of the factory PCM quirkiness - Open loop delays, laggardly enrichement, and even, for some calibrations, a complete refusal to go open loop at all. On top of that is the complete transofrmation of the shift schedules, higher shift points to allow the motor to drop into the next gear in a more optimum portion of the power band, beautifully progressive shift frimness, etc, etc.

The Hypercrap is not even on the same planet, let alone in the same league.

To help address the toque deficiency, if you are planning on towing, a gear swap would be very beneficial.

Exhaust and intake buys you next to nothing.

OP - A real good read - focus on ALL the posts from Mike Troyer: https://www.f150online.com/forums/ch...ner-4-6-a.html

Finally - no flash tuner for a gas engine will allow changes on the fly - you must turn off the engine, reflash the PCM and restart.

Good news - if you have an Edge, you can simply get it converted to a Gryphon and enjoy PHP's stellar custom tuning - no need to buy a new device, just the tuning. See PHP's site for details. www.gopowerhungry.com

Good luck!

Last edited by MGDfan; 04-12-2012 at 12:34 PM. Reason: buys, not but; reflash not relash, lol
Old 04-12-2012, 10:45 AM
thats the ones i was looking at was the gryphon i couldnt remember the name of it.

Old 04-12-2012, 11:31 AM
I'd say use the search fxn, but it isn't working...

Old 04-12-2012, 11:33 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by jaws12
I'd say use the search fxn, but it isn't working...
Sure it is.

How do ya think i found that linky in my post?

Old 04-12-2012, 11:47 AM
Short of SC or turbo, a tuner with custom tunes is going to be your best bang for the $. MGD laid down some good advice about tuners. Once you go tuned you don't go back

Old 04-12-2012, 03:33 PM
i was thinking about getting a gryphon when i start this new job after i buy new tires. tires and brakes come before performance i guess. unless i can find a used gryphon for cheap.

Old 04-12-2012, 04:03 PM
I believe there is one in the classifieds for sale currently.

Old 04-12-2012, 05:35 PM
i saw that one. im broke right now every penny im getting right now is going to gas or new tires. hopefuly this job comes through quick i hate not working

Old 04-13-2012, 08:59 PM
Not to hijack this post but I'm guessing that all the different available tuners do not void your warranty correct? I want one but not if its gonna cause issues when repairs are needed.

Old 04-13-2012, 09:16 PM
If the tuner is at fault for something breaking then your warranty will not cover the repair. It is up to the dealer though to prove it. If you are in the USA then google the magnason moss act. Not sure if that spelling is correct.

Quick Reply: need more power