5.4 four bad injectors

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2012, 01:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
5.4 four bad injectors

I lurk on this site but don't post alot.I have got so much good info here,and that has saved me time and money.I have to say thanks to everyone that gives so much good info.

Now the question.Was driving to work yesterday in my 05 5.4 F150 with 63,000 miles on it when the engine started running extremely rough at a red light.
I made it to work thinking maybe I had some water in the gas.as it was on close to empty.When it was time to go home I put some new gas in but it didn't run any better.

Brought it to the dealer this morning and was told that all four injectors on one side were shot.(how do 4 injectors go at once)Thanks to this site,I was able to find that ford extended the injector warranty to 120,000 miles.

The dealer told me that they will be covered under warranty,but all the plugs should be changed,and the oil as well.I have no problem with that as this dealer has a pretty good reputation and their oil change special is priced pretty low.
What floored me was that to change all 8 plugs they want $479.00,and that's if they come out without any problem.If they break or can't get them out,i can be looking at more than an hour extra on any problem plug.God forbid that I have any coil problems.

When all is said and done(I'm having a few other minor things done as well)I'm still looking at a repair bill between $800.00-900.00 assuming there's no problems.
I know that these 5.4 3v engines had plug removal and blow out problems,but is 479.00 bucks the going price for a dealer to charge for 8 plugs?,
And why am I getting stuck to pay a 100.00 diagnostic fee when I wouldn't have had to, if the injectors didn't crap out in the first place.

Hell,I can change all 8 plugs in my 350 GM engine in my boat for about $16.00 and twenty minutes time.I'm beginning to wonder if hi tech is all that it's cracked up to be.Not when you're an old goat hot rodder like me.At least I can work on the old stuff.
Any thoughts on the dealers prices?thanks all

Old 02-17-2012, 01:20 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
There is no such thing as a blow out problem for your engine. The plugs can break on removal. The dealers usually charge somewhere between $300 and $400 for the plug change. I too would be very irritated at being charged the $100 diagnostic fee.

Old 02-17-2012, 07:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think the TSB for the injectors says to change the oil after a faulty injector is found and replaced? I think the diagnostic should be covered too...

Have the dealer pull up the TSB...

Regards!

Quick Reply: 5.4 four bad injectors