Please help! Help timing a 5.4 3 valve!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2014, 09:33 PM
glc
Received 761 Likes on 704 Posts
Posting your email address in an open forum is just asking for a bunch of spam, I'd encourage you to edit your post and remove it.

Old 08-06-2018, 06:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need help

My 5.4 3v keeps jumping time all new part I timed it 3 times runs good for about 5 min and runs like crap I have no where to turn and running out of money fast it's worse then that movie
​​​​​​ the money Pitt please help

Old 05-25-2021, 08:22 PM
Same issue

Originally Posted by Ralph Reynolds
My 5.4 3v keeps jumping time all new part I timed it 3 times runs good for about 5 min and runs like crap I have no where to turn and running out of money fast it's worse then that movie
​​​​​​ the money Pitt please help
I'm having the same issue I've replaced all timing components twice. And it ran great for like an hr the 1st time then lost power and started knocking replaced timing again after finding a broken pin in the phaser and again it ran great this time for about 30 mins or so then same thing. It'll crank but won't start. Everyone I've asked is stumped. Has anyone else had this issue and was able to locate it? If so please help I can't afford another truck.​​​​​​

Old 08-27-2021, 09:20 PM
04-08, 5.4,3 valve timing.

Originally Posted by Electron-Jack
The stock 5.4 3V is a non-interference motor so you can't bend a valve by having it out of time.

As far as timing it goes it's pretty easy. Get it to TDC on the crank. There are timing marks on the crank sprocket and on the phasers and also a dark link on each timing chain. If you install the chains with all the marks aligned with the dark links you got it. It's that simple. The chiltons or haynes also has a reasonable diagram in it as well if you feel the need to have a picture. There will be some pressure on the cams from the valve springs. I used a pair of vice grips behind the phasers to turn the cam to align with the chain mark with the cam sprocket mark. You will want to install the tensioners and guides prior to putting the chains on but don't remove the retainer clips on tensioners until you have the timing marks all aligned for the crank, cams, and chains.
04-08...[ Wouldnt it be timed correctly as long as the timing marks on the chains and on the crank are lined up with the correct placement on each phaser no matter if its at Top dead center? Does the crank really have to be at TDC in order to place the chains ack on is what I'm asking? I'm doing my 5.4,3 valve right now, I'm behind on getting it back together due to weather as I don't have a shop to do it in I'm at the mercy of mother nature. Got the two oil strainer bolts out yesterday before the latest storm hit, stormed most all day today so no go! Had a broken phaser spring on right side, both guides broken.im just curious about this timing deal, I have the timing tool I'm just curious.

Old 08-27-2021, 09:54 PM
Received 220 Likes on 200 Posts
Originally Posted by WadeFX41970
04-08...[ Wouldnt it be timed correctly as long as the timing marks on the chains and on the crank are lined up with the correct placement on each phaser no matter if its at Top dead center? Does the crank really have to be at TDC in order to place the chains ack on is what I'm asking? I'm doing my 5.4,3 valve right now, I'm behind on getting it back together due to weather as I don't have a shop to do it in I'm at the mercy of mother nature. Got the two oil strainer bolts out yesterday before the latest storm hit, stormed most all day today so no go! Had a broken phaser spring on right side, both guides broken.im just curious about this timing deal, I have the timing tool I'm just curious.

Quick Reply: Please help! Help timing a 5.4 3 valve!!!