05 running rough with wet smoke

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2011, 11:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
05 running rough with wet smoke

Hello all. I am new to site. My 05 is sick. As I was driving it started running rough with what seemed like a missfire. The CEL came on eventualy and started blinking. Being only four blocks from home, I limped it home. It smelled realy caty. Not like rotten eggs, just very strong. I pulled the codes and got the following-P2198, catalyst, evap,02sensor,02htr, ready- misfire, fuel. The truck has 86000on it. I just read the stuck injector issue for the 05s. There is lots of wet smoke comming from the exhaust. Inrder to restart itI have to give it a little throttle. I pulled the plugs- spent. Installing HT1 motocraft. Unfortunetly, My soaking the plugs was only partialy successful-broke two. I havent finshed with the plugs and am concerned about restarting the truck. Do ou think this might be a injector problem, plug issue or COP issue? Any input would be appreciated. This is the 5.4 3v. Thanks.

Old 10-21-2011, 11:35 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Welcome.....

HT1's are not motorcraft they're autolites.......the only plug this motor likes is the motorcraft sp507 or sp515....

Switch to thethem motorcraft plugs and take it in have and get the injectors checked.....

Orielly's carries the motorcraft spark plugs .....

Last edited by 88racing; 10-21-2011 at 11:41 PM.
Old 10-21-2011, 11:44 PM
Thanks for the help. I will change the plugs. What is causing the white wet smoke? At first, I thought there may have ben a intake manafold leek at the water crossover. Any ideas? Hay 88-dose that car in your sig hae hydrolics or bd shocks?

Last edited by THUMPER 01; 10-21-2011 at 11:48 PM.
Old 10-21-2011, 11:59 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by THUMPER 01
Thanks for the help. I will change the plugs. What is causing the white wet smoke? At first, I thought there may have ben a intake manafold leek at the water crossover. Any ideas? Hay 88-dose that car in your sig hae hydrolics or bd shocks?
Does the white wet smoke smell sweet? What's the trucks coolant level like?
Could be from a missfire or injector issue......that code also points to possibly replacing the front 02 sensor .....

My truck has oem struts on all four corners.....

Old 10-22-2011, 12:31 AM
Collant level is good. I have a great sence of smell. dont think the wet smoke smells sweet. The front 02 sensor is responding to a rich condition in the exhaust. Correct? Is there a code for a falty fuel injector? A misfire is presented to the PCM, however does not tell exact cause. I.E falty fuel injector, bad cop,low compression, blown head gasket. I am starting with nnew plugs since they are oveous. How can I find out if my 05 is part of the bad injector batch? No notice from Ford to me. Did recieve two other recalls from Ford on the truck. Last thing I want is a hydrolock.

Old 10-22-2011, 05:08 AM
Originally Posted by THUMPER 01
Collant level is good. I have a great sence of smell. dont think the wet smoke smells sweet. The front 02 sensor is responding to a rich condition in the exhaust. Correct? Is there a code for a falty fuel injector? A misfire is presented to the PCM, however does not tell exact cause. I.E falty fuel injector, bad cop,low compression, blown head gasket. I am starting with nnew plugs since they are oveous. How can I find out if my 05 is part of the bad injector batch? No notice from Ford to me. Did recieve two other recalls from Ford on the truck. Last thing I want is a hydrolock.
Rich condition would be black / grey smoke.... Fuel (injectors)
Bluish smoke is oil (rings / valve guides)
90% of the time, wet / white is anti-freeze (head gasket or something)

Last edited by 04fxdwgi; 10-22-2011 at 05:11 AM.
Old 10-22-2011, 01:33 PM
What color is the old plugs? A whiteish color is coolant leak, search the web for pics of plug conditions and you'll see what each condition looks like. Sounds like the misfire condition may cure the smoke issue, because basically one or more cylinders are basically pumping gassy air, unburned!

Quick Reply: 05 running rough with wet smoke