Question for the "Technical minds"

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-1999, 09:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bent6 as you can see, I have thought long and (not too) hard about further theft prevention, but the fact that the truck IS running has always stumped me. That is a good idea I could almost start another topic on how this "switch" could be installed, but I think I'll ask a mechanic or two how to do it (with out telling them where the switch will actually be located, of course) Good idea-thanks!

Old 07-04-1999, 10:30 PM
Bent6, in regards to having to push in the clutch on a Ford to start it, that thief must have been either a complete idiot or he had never driven a manual shift before. To my understanding and experience(with an '84 F150 4 speed and '83 International delivery truck) ALL manual tranny equipped vehicles MUST have the clutch engaged to start the vehicle. It is not just a *Ford* thing.

Old 07-04-1999, 11:31 PM
Bent6, after reading my last post again I realize that it might be taken that I'm implying that you could also be an *idiot* for not knowing about the clutch/starter thing on all vehicles. Please accept my apologies as I did not intend for that to happen.

Mark

Old 07-05-1999, 01:19 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I never worry much about things said on the internet. It's too easy to take them out of context (you can't see a face or hear the tone in a voice).
As far as pushing in the clutch, I to thought it was law, but all the Chrysler products I have owned ( most current 91 Spirit R/T )DO NOT require you to push the clutch in to start. I always have fun beting new passingers that I can make it somewhere without using the clutch (use the starter in gear to get moving/shift clutchless).
As far as the theif being a complete idiot, guess thats why he's in that line of work.
Later
Andrei

Old 07-05-1999, 06:50 AM
Bent6,

Looks like another "Grudge Night" coming at the local dragstrip ....... Mustangs Vs Buick turbos/GNs. Any bet on the results again?

------------------
Dunbarton "The Middle Aged Kid" '99 XLT SC SB 4x2 4.6 auto 3.55 ls The occasional Z-71 Eater! Wedgewood & Denim, SuperChipped, Airaid FIPK. Man, I got it all!

Old 07-05-1999, 11:51 AM
I used to have a 84 Toyota 4-Runner that I didn't have to push in the clutch to crank it up.

Bent6: 175k on a 97 WOW!!! How's it run? Had any major problems?? HOW in the world have you been able to put on so many miles???

------------------
97F150 XLT SC 4x4 Flairside 4.6 V8 5sp Dk Toreador Red, 3.55LS
ARE tonneau cover, p255/70rx16 tires (came w/235), Superchip
Pioneer CD w/4 Polk Speakers & Clarion APA5240amp, skid plates
bed liner, side window deflectors, reese hitch, K&N air filter
40s-2chamber Flowmaster, Bosch +4 spark plugs, rustproofing
Better Built Stainless nerf bars

Old 07-05-1999, 11:57 AM
Looks like I'm the one in the dark about the clutch thing. Shoulda kept my mouth shut, but then I wouldn't have learned all this.

Old 07-05-1999, 02:25 PM
GMC305, don't you remember those people who would sometimes turn the key w/out the clutch being in, and the car would shoot forward (or back dep. on what gear they were "parked in") I always used to laugh at those people, but I bet the ins. co. didn't, maybe that's why most cars now have to have the clutch in. Any ways I LOVE reading all of your posts (and I mean that), but could we please resume the original question, unless we all agree that:
1) I should leave the truck running w/air on "air max" at lowest possible setting.
2) I should install/modify additional antitheft switch. any detailed (wire schematics, colors ect.) instructions appricated, can email me at: Andthensometooo@usa.net)
3) I should install safe to lock up my drugs, money ect. (I just couldn't resist!) You Guys/Gals kill me! Thanks all!

Old 07-05-1999, 03:18 PM
Andthensometoo,

I apologize too for getting off topic too ..... thought I was on "chat."

------------------
Dunbarton "The Middle Aged Kid" '99 XLT SC SB 4x2 4.6 auto 3.55 ls The occasional Z-71 Eater! Wedgewood & Denim, SuperChipped, Airaid FIPK. Man, I got it all!

Old 07-05-1999, 06:39 PM
Really Old "Member"

Andthensometoo:

I was wondering when we would get back to the topic myself.

Consensus seems to be:

Leave it running, max AC setting.
Assume you have two sets of keys and lock the vehicle.

Police experience here (San Diego PD)
we were instructed to do just what I indicated above to reduce wear and tear on vehicle as also indicated in earlier responses.

As I read your signature, you have towing package, oil cooler etc. which should give you more than adequate cooling of oil and water.

Having solved that question, I can also say it is sooooooo much nicer to jump into the vehicle when it is nice and cool. Besides that, as a customer rep., you will look absolutely stunning refreshed and alert compared to your competitors who don't have friends like you have here to help you on your way through life. They probably drive Town Cars and Sedan de Villes and arrive at the stores frazzled and with their hair in tatters complaining about the heat and would never ever think about leaving their cars running.

You run with a good crowd!

------------------

Bill Murray
60 going on 17 w/my:
99.5 White Lightning
Bone Stock for now.
Stay tuned.

Old 07-05-1999, 08:15 PM
Andthensometoo: Be glad you're not in DC. I lived there for 1 year when I first got my truck. They have "professional" car theives there and it wouldn't matter how you left your truck, it would still be just as gone!! I was about 2 minutes from losing my truck, had a heavy duty club lock on the steering wheel too! These "people" were connecting it to a wreaker!! So a little switch to keep it from going into gear would have been worthless. So my advice: How long have you been running this route?? Do you take the time to check out the area before leaving your truck??? Do you feel safe leaving it?? From what you've already said, it sounds like leaving it running is a very good idea, just don't have any other keys on that key chain. You would think that if someone wanted to take your truck, since it's running already that they would break the glass or use one of those things to jimmy the lock. In which case, do look into that switch to keep it from going into gear. You also might want to look into a very good, very loud alarm!!

Old 07-05-1999, 08:22 PM
i don't know how hard it is to do on a f-150 auto, but very easy on a dodge. there is one wire to torque convertor lock up switch (solinoid), if you put an inline switch, when activated the truck will up shift regularly, when you (or the thief/carjacker) get to the first stop, the convertor is locked, truck kills in 4th . using the gearshift does not help. i guess i will need a service manual on my lightning to find the wire.

Old 07-06-1999, 12:54 AM
Andthensometoo........I use to have a job like yours and it was hard to make my mined up on the same question you have. I guess leaving it running is the best. You will sure save the starter a least.

Bent6.. been a while. 'sup? If you dont remember me I am also a Grand National / T-type lover. I have many a fond memory of that car.

------------------
97 F-150 4.6 auto, 4x2, 3.55 LS, trailer tow pkg, ABM with K&N, Dynomax Super Turbo exhaust.
Oh yeah, it's Oxford White with crome wheels, Legacy shell & custom grill.

Old 07-20-1999, 07:07 PM
I have been thinking (Oh No) and my truck can't be towed while it's parked because 1) it is in "park" so they would have to pick it up from the rear. 2) It is running with keys in ingition, which means the STEERING is not locked, so they can't pick it up from the rear. Am I right?
I like the idea of a switch that would prevent the truck from being driven off, but that leads me to another thought (stop me if I think too much) Isn't the "brake to shift saftey feature" operated by a cable or mechanical device as opposed to electrical?
I am done thinking for the day, what are all your thoughts or sugestions on this?

[This message has been edited by Andthensometoo (edited 07-20-1999).]

Old 07-20-1999, 11:58 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Perhaps the question is who do you fear most- a professional thief or a "joy-rider"? A pro will get your truck regardless of what you do. A joy-rider will probably just smash the window and take off.

How about a lo-jack? That way, if they steal it, you can track it & (I think) shut it down remotely.

Neal

------------------
1997 4x4 Expedition- 4.6L, true dual exhaust w/glass-packs, K&N air filter, SuperChip, airbox mods, Edelbrock shocks, 285/75R16 BFG ATs, Optima "T-Bone" wheels, and Clarion In-dash CD player: http://members.visualcities.com/NoMo

Quick Reply: Question for the "Technical minds"