Engine Dies

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-1999, 06:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Engine Dies

I have a 1987 F150 4x4 with a 302 TBI.
My problem is the engine keeps dieing on me and/or not starting,It will start after a few minutes. I have narrowed it down
(I think) to a Electrical/Fuel pump problem.
I've changed the Fuel Filter , and MAP sensor.Could it be a bad (or going bad) fuel pump solenoid/relay? I've checked the Voltage and Ohm's at the relay and all is fine there, but I would think it would be as its running now, any other idea's?
Thanks in Advance !

Old 07-17-1999, 06:19 PM
Question

As my name states I have an '86 Mustang with the injected 302. My fuel pump died a few months ago, no warning no intermittent problems. Drove home and parked it, went back an hour later DEAD! Don't know if that is usual or unusual. Try checking your grounds and maybe other connections for corrossion. Good luck.
Jeff

------------------
1999 F150 Lariat
Reg cab Short box Styleside
5.4L 3.55ls
Deep Wedgwood Blue/Silver
Lund Interceptor hood shield, VentVisors, Class III hitch, Ford molded mud guards, soft tonneau, window tinting on the 27th

Old 07-18-1999, 11:08 AM
Klumze,
I had a 90 F-150 XLT Lariat with the 4.9 before I got my 99 and the I had that problem once. The engine would die when it got hot then after an hour or two it would start up and run fine. No engine codes were present so I was at a loss for things to try. So I changed the TPS, MAP, EGR valve plugs, wires, cap, and button and finally figured I would just change the fuel pump,bingo that was it! You could try it but it is a pretty expensive thing to try if that isn't your problem.

------------------
99 F-150 XLT Sport 4x4 4.6L , 3.55 LS, K&N air filter, Straight Exaust system!

Old 07-18-1999, 05:40 PM
Question

I should have mentioned the first error code I got was "22" (MAP Sensor) on Friday when it died again I got a reading of "87" (Main FuelPump circuit failure)

Old 07-19-1999, 12:08 AM
I used to be a "crack shot" at the old carb engines, by listening to what they sound like when you turn them over. Even though yours isn't a carb, and I can't hear it, my guess is the fuel pump,right after the filter, which you already did.

Old 07-19-1999, 12:36 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Unhappy

Ignore the MAP error (for now) and check the fuel system. After you have fixed the problem and clear the codes from the ECU, drive it a couple of days and see if the MAP error is still there. I've found that most "out of range" codes are a by-product of some other problem.

Neal
PS: Isn't TBI what ch*vy did instead of EFI?

------------------
1997 4x4 Expedition- 4.6L, true dual exhaust, glass-packs, K&N, SuperChip, airbox mods, Edelbrock shocks, 285/75R16 BFG ATs, Optima "T-Bone" wheels, and Clarion In-dash CD player: http://members.visualcities.com/NoMo

Quick Reply: Engine Dies